PDA

View Full Version : microsoft to take over homes with homeOS and its home App Store

madjr
April 8th, 2012, 06:33 PM
skynet! (well not yet...)

But seems like another new potential market to monopolize once it gets momentum.

Microsoft: “The Home Needs an Operating System (and an App Store),” (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-experiments-with-homeos-and-home-app-store-ideas/7352)

Of course there is still the catch 22 (appliance drivers) (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2012/04/05/microsoft-homeos/1).

And Maybe am a bit paranoid, but My worst fears are to experience the following scenarios: "sorry sir, but your home is not compatible with this linux thing" "your Anti-home-virus has expired!!"or "Sorry, Your appliances dont have linux drivers", "your washer doesnt have x feature with the reverse engineered open drivers" or "Sorry but you cant connect your toaster to linux-home (noooooo!)".

yep , sounds funniy, but is not!!

or maybe hear on the streets Mom lets get a windowsHome11 or iHOME :confused:, because that linux(ubuntu?)-home has no marketshare and almost no home-apps so it sucks!!

ACKK wtf noooo!!!!!!1 :mad:

Anyway The current Linux alternative is OpenDomo (http://en.opendomo.org/)

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hum5QYS7_Gg

looks nice, but is a do it yourself geek (DIY) kit, so it may not come preinstalled on Homes (just like linux is not preinstalled in computers) and then we're yet stuck in a new and probably worst monopoly! :(

/end paranoid

roelforg
April 8th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I kinda like it that Linux requires at least half a brain to operate,
3/4 brain to create a foam-padded-box for the parents to play in.
And no money or ms/apple!

I love linux

roelforg
April 8th, 2012, 07:20 PM
I read the article and can say 1 thing:
*CENSORED*
After translation to reality they just say:

We think that it's hurting your dependency on us and our ****** overpriced bloatware that there are hardware devices not ran by an os made by us.
So we want to make your whole house (and with that your life) dependant on our crap-and-bloatware OS so we get more money and you're at the mercy of our willingness and updates.
This will make our biggest competitor, Linux and other Unix(-like/-based), disappear and the gained marketshare and influence will allow us to ruine Apple because we will make sure they can't communicate with our OS that will, by that time, run the entire world.
The world is ours!
And there's nothing you can do about it!
We will load it with backdoors so we can control the world!!!
MUHAHAHAHA!!!

Now the comments are great!
However i'm wondering...
These thing also worry me (besides the ms part):
* What'll happen when it has to do updates? Your house will become slow until it reboots
* Bsod ... *shudder*

uRock
April 8th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I read the article and can say 1 thing:
*CENSORED*
After translation to reality they just say:

However i'm wondering...
* What'll happen when it has to do updates? Your house will become slow until it reboots
* Bsod ... *shudder*

I have never noticed this slow down to which you speak of. Microsoft creates a great product for those who want/need/use it.

dniMretsaM
April 8th, 2012, 08:18 PM
These people who don't understand technology/computers? We should be educating them. Not dumbing it down even more. MS is doing the world no favors with this (MS doing something good? Yeah, right.).

KiwiNZ
April 8th, 2012, 08:25 PM
These people who don't understand technology/computers? We should be educating them. Not dumbing it down even more. MS is doing the world no favors with this (MS doing something good? Yeah, right.).

Technology is a mass market product not an elitist hobby, it needs and should be as easy as possible. This is why Apple and MSFT are doing so well.

Linuxratty
April 8th, 2012, 08:47 PM
However i'm wondering...
* Bsod ... *shudder*

The comments are often he best part!
Worse yet,what if you are cooking a turkey in your HomeOS Microsoft oven and your oven has a bsod...WHAT THEN!? :shock:

madjr
April 8th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Technology is a mass market product not an elitist hobby, it needs and should be as easy as possible. This is why Apple and MSFT are doing so well.

agree with this.

that's why Open source needs to really work hard here to make things accesible and become a good, easy and competitive solution, for when this market starts to roll big time.

in other words: be prepared.

we cant let one or 2 companies "pass their proprietary stuff as if they were the standards" (again).

And they will dominate if we dont start creating real competitive open solutions.

roelforg
April 8th, 2012, 09:06 PM
agree with this.

that's why Open source needs to really work hard here to make things accesible and become a good, easy and competitive solution, for when this market starts to roll big time.

in other words: be prepared.

we cant let one or 2 companies "pass their proprietary stuff as if they were the standards" (again).

And they will dominate if we dont start creating real competitive open solutions.

+<infinity>

dniMretsaM
April 8th, 2012, 09:11 PM

I'm not saying it shouldn't be easy. I'm saying it shouldn't be easy enough for a baboon to use (yes, I know that's an exaggeration). There is nothing wrong with making people learn a little. In fact, it's generally a good thing.

roelforg
April 8th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I'm not saying it shouldn't be easy. I'm saying it shouldn't be easy enough for a baboon to use (yes, I know that's an exaggeration).

Again:
+<infinity>

KiwiNZ
April 8th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I'm not saying it shouldn't be easy. I'm saying it shouldn't be easy enough for a baboon to use (yes, I know that's an exaggeration). There is nothing wrong with making people learn a little. In fact, it's generally a good thing.

Wrong, if it is to progress it needs to be easy for all to use, period.

roelforg
April 9th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Wrong, if it is to progress it needs to be easy for all to use, period.

The baboon thing was overkill, but he was right.
It like saying:
"The new plane should be easy for the random you to fly."
but for computers.

You'll end up removing so much "complexety" that one will never be able to do advanced stuff.

Comma,

KiwiNZ
April 9th, 2012, 12:17 AM
The baboon thing was overkill, but he was right.
It like saying:
"The new plane should be easy for the random you to fly."
but for computers.

You'll end up removing so much "complexety" that one will never be able to do advanced stuff.

Comma,

reductio ad absurdum , a plane is not a consumer device.

Basher101
April 9th, 2012, 12:20 AM
I have never noticed this slow down to which you speak of. Microsoft creates a great product for those who want/need/use it.

MS does make a great OS, true, but it has some flaws and is a pain to keep the "original" speed and make all the maintainance..I always get an earful from my mom when something was not working, until i've had it, wiped the disk, installed Ubuntu, made a video showing how to use the 3 programs she used on windows anyways and let her deal with it. The first week was hell, but after she got used to it I haven't heard yet that something is amiss.

rmil
April 9th, 2012, 12:25 AM
It is easy MS is trying hard to get to new markets (Their days are doomed).
If you look at your phone you will find out that Android is already homeOS.

All robots/TV sets/cars/routers/submarines/CIA/IBM/supercomputers/CERN/NASA uses some kind of LINUX. You can see it all here http://www.focus.com/fyi/50-places-linux-running-you-might-not-expect/

KiwiNZ
April 9th, 2012, 12:28 AM
MS days are doomed ? no

roelforg
April 9th, 2012, 12:30 AM
reductio ad absurdum , a plane is not a consumer device.

Originally, neither was/is linux.
We are trying to muffle the complexity away under a fancy gui, but you can't prevent the real tux from showing up.

btw. You made me think of this: http://xkcd.com/726/

rmil
April 9th, 2012, 01:05 AM
MS days are doomed ? no
MS has lost several serious markets due to bad management decisions.
Lets speak the same topic in 2015.

wolfen69
April 9th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Technology is a mass market product not an elitist hobby
Then you're using technology as an umbrella term. There are many different facets of technology, and some are elitist, as you call it.

it needs and should be as easy as possible.
Is this a rule? A law? Where is this written?

This is why Apple and MSFT are doing so well.
There are a myriad of reasons why they are doing well. Money and marketing come to mind.

wolfen69
April 9th, 2012, 03:57 AM
I agree. MS is losing market share as we speak.

roelforg
April 9th, 2012, 04:26 AM
There are a myriad of reasons why they are doing well. Money and marketing come to mind.

Another one:
Normal people (aka the avg. joe that only knows the internet as that blue e and has never heard of the term os) want to get the best value for their money.
As computers are magick to them, they seek an easely quantifiable number (try typing that 10 times).
(note: i'm not including hw)
People will take the number they understand and catches their attention the most:
the price tag!
There is an connection between quality and price. Generally, the quality is proportional to the price.
(bmw costs more then a chevy but the bmw has very good quality)
And as that technique works for everything from the food you eat, to the house you live in, why wouldn't it for your os?
Combine this with anxiety as the user never will be able to physically touch it. (no, not the case, wrapping or disc, they can never hold the ones and zeros.
So they use prize,
and ms wins thanx to multi-milj.-brandnames and linux loses because, even though the costs are low, they equal bad in the user' head.
That and good pr.

See ya tomorrow!

KiwiNZ
April 9th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Is this a rule? A law? Where is this written?

Marketing 101

KiwiNZ
April 9th, 2012, 04:38 AM

Their bottom line continues to grow.

uRock
April 9th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Another one:
Normal people (aka the avg. joe that only knows the internet as that blue e and has never heard of the term os) want to get the best value for their money.
As computers are magick to them, they seek an easely quantifiable number (try typing that 10 times).
(note: i'm not including hw)
People will take the number they understand and catches their attention the most:
the price tag!
There is an connection between quality and price. Generally, the quality is proportional to the price.
(bmw costs more then a chevy but the bmw has very good quality)
And as that technique works for everything from the food you eat, to the house you live in, why wouldn't it for your os?
Combine this with anxiety as the user never will be able to physically touch it. (no, not the case, wrapping or disc, they can never hold the ones and zeros.
So they use prize,
and ms wins thanx to multi-milj.-brandnames and linux loses because, even though the costs are low, they equal bad in the user' head.
That and good pr.

See ya tomorrow!
Not sure why folks expect every PC user to be an IT tech. MS systems work with minimal knowledge needed and that is what consumers want.

You say Linux costs are low? Try hiring a Linux tech, they cost more. Visit System76's site and compare them to other quality manufacturers. System76 doesn't have to pay royalties to MS, yet they are more expensive and the typical PC repair shops charge more to work on them, if they touch them at all.

dpny
April 9th, 2012, 04:52 AM
MS running all the devices in your home? What could possibly go wrong?

wolfen69
April 9th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Marketing 101
See my original response, then answer me. Don't just throw around terms without taking what I said into account. And yes, I know about Marketing 101.

QIII
April 9th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Baboons SHOULD be able to use computers. Guys like me work to make it so.

alexfish
April 9th, 2012, 10:54 AM
apt put kettle on "NO"
apt please put the kettle on "NO"
apt I am going to work "NO YOUR NOT"
apt must go to the toilet/open the toilet door "NO"
apt..."Before you start NO"

One year later... apt-get safe upgrade "GIVE ME SOME MORE DOSH".... "AND PLENTY OF IT"

madjr
April 11th, 2012, 11:02 PM
kiwinz and others are not in favor of dumbing some of these things down for the sake of dumbing them down and for baboons to use (or maybe they could?).

well, the reason is that easiness = accessible.

and more accessible = more mainstream.

and more mainstream = cheaper.

and the circle keeps moving and opens new possibilities and progress in different areas.

well imho, things should be eas enough that even handicapped can use.

KiwiNZ
April 11th, 2012, 11:16 PM
kiwinz and others are not in favor of dumbing some of these things down for the sake of dumbing them down and for baboons to use (or maybe they could?).

well, the reason is that easiness = accessible.

and more accessible = more mainstream.

and more mainstream = cheaper.

and the circle keeps moving and opens new possibilities and progress in different areas.

well imho, things should be eas enough that even handicapped can use.

The opposite for me. In an earlier post I stated.....