PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz Desktop Effects with Radeon X1200?

Wootyeah
April 8th, 2012, 04:31 PM
First off, I don't know if I have posted this in the right area, but here goes:

I have a Gateway T-1628 Laptop I have installed Maverick 10.10 onto. Basically I miss my desktop cube :'(

I am more than willing to post the output of any command. I have tried a variety of things (driver-related) I have read about already, and spent too much time with very few results. I am willing to do a clean install, downgrade, upgrade, whatever to get my compiz working.

I am not, however, willing to give up and go back to *******. I like Ubuntu way too much. ;)

3Miro
April 8th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Your issue comes from the fact that AMD dropped the support for your video card. Hence all you got is the default FOSS driver and it isn't very good. I don't fully blame AMD, they had to deal with the long history of horrible ATI support. Newer AMD cards have great support, but the older ones are lacking.

Your can try to go back to 10.04 (supported for another year) or try something like Debian 6. Debian will be supported for at least two more years and since it comes with an older kernel, they may have a proprietary AMD drivers.

You can also look for a newer machine, something with AMD (newer than Radeon 4xxx) or Nvidia (except Optimus) or Intel.

Wootyeah
April 10th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I will try them.