PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.10 - I got GNOME back but the topbar is missing the System menu

Mycotheologist
April 8th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I installed gnome-session-fallback and now I've got GNOME back but there are various differences. Firstly to do anything to the icons on the topbar, you have to hold alt then right click and it still won't let me drag icons to where I want. For example, heres a screenshot:
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4396/screenshotat20120408161.png

see the way all icons on the topbar are cluttered into the left side, and theres a couple in the middle? I usually like to spread the icons all across the topbar to group them into different categories. Now, it will only let me move them to the left, the center or the right. I don't care about that too much though, whats really ******* me off is theres no longer a System menu. Is there a way to get that System menu back? I thought all that topbar and bottom bar stuff was just part of gnome-panel. Has gnome-panel changed or something?

Frogs Hair
April 8th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Gnome 3 is now in use and the features you are looking for are in Gnome 2 which is no longer supported by Gnome. The items from the system menu are now listed under system settings and from the menu , system or other.

Mycotheologist
April 9th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Ah that explains it.