PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a media streaming system

terrykiwi83
April 8th, 2012, 05:31 AM
So am just about to jump into a project to build a new system. This new system must do the following:

Stream TV to my 42" LCD
Store & Download Torrents
Stream from my QuickFlix Account
Have an exchange type mail server (Important)

Process and store backups from my other Ubuntu machines
Any other cool stuff I cannot think of just yet.

I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible. So no i7 6 core's, was looking at AMD processors and motherboards to keep cost down.

All hardware must be Ubuntu 12.04 x64 compatible.

What suggestions do you have?

mips
April 22nd, 2012, 04:07 PM
A HP Proliant Microserver will do everything you need. With a 520gt passively cooled gpu it also becomes a great media player. They are very popular over here and cheap.

mamamia88
April 22nd, 2012, 04:15 PM
I would reccomend a cheap headless build and a $200 ps3 with ps3 media server running.

Bandit
April 22nd, 2012, 04:50 PM
So am just about to jump into a project to build a new system. [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2]This new system must do the following:...............]

Things to consider:
-Size
-Noise
-Heat

So you prob dont want nothing larger then a mATX board. Preferably something smaller as it will be less cumbersome in the long run.
Mini ITX would be prefered but really hard to get a good one.
I however have had really good luck with Shuttle bare bone systems in the past.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101115
It comes with PSU, Mobo, Case and onboard Radeon 3000 video which can be turned off and use a PCIX card of your choosing. Also less then 200 USD with Tax and Shipping. Also Comes with a heat pipe to pipe the warm goodness off the CPU. Get a regular dual core 65watt Athlon x2 for about 45-60 USD and then a 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Green drive for about 100 USD and your set. You will have no heat issues or sound issues to worry about.
I think total cost is like 330 USD, Throw in a DVD Burner for an extra 20 Bucks and your set..

EDIT:
Forgot RAM LOL.. Grab 2GB stick for about 25 bucks and your good to go..