PDA

View Full Version : A good Suse vs. Vista article

disturbed1
June 13th, 2006, 03:05 AM
This is probably one of the better OS vs OS articles I've read. Usually the reviewer(s) have already chosen that Linux or Windows is better from the begining, and present their mind set as such. This article more or less talks about the features and problems between each OS.

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=188703320&pgno=1&queryText=

The best point that I see being brought up is the price factor. Suse is available for $50, and includes an office + other suites. Vista is $??? and includes entry level suites, but no office. In the constant battle that OEMs have of offering the best product at the lowest, Linux is nearing it's dawning where all OEMs will start to consider Linux OS's as a replacement for Windows products, rather than an alternative. With the fully free Linux distros they can cut their costs even lower.

Some of the key factors I see keeping OEMs from adopting Linux on a large full scale, are the patent encumbered (non-free dvdcss, mp3....). If someone like Cyberlink or even Nero would license software for these non-free aspects that would be a plus. I believe Cyberlink(?) at one time had a licensed DVD decoder for Linux, but it was for OEMs and/or embeded applications only.

The other thing is support. Windows has been around long enough that it's easy to fill a call center with warm bodies that can at least help you do simple things like restore points, driver reinstalls, and other teir one problems such as that. There just are not enough qualified Linux techs to be able to handle this. These forums where flooded with issues during the first couple of days after the Dapper release, imagine what the HP call center would be like? I've worked as both tier 1 and tier 2 support before, and 90% of the problems people have occur between the keyboard and chair :)

H.E. Pennypacker
July 2nd, 2006, 04:05 AM
I believe Cyberlink(?) at one time had a licensed DVD decoder for Linux, but it was for OEMs and/or embeded applications only.

That is true. If CyberLink knew people would be willing to buy its software, perhaps it would start selling to individuals, or at least allow someone else to selel their products to home users.

I really liked CyberLink PowerDVD with Windows, and so far, I haven't found anything like it in Ubuntu.