PDA

View Full Version : NICE: Google Earth!!

mattisking
June 13th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Ok, so I realize this isn't really about Edgy but I generally only hang out in the development forum... so feel free to move it where-ever.

At any rate, Google Earth has now been released with native support for Linux! It runs great!

http://slashdot.org/articles/06/06/12/2050255.shtml
http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

nehalem
June 13th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Yes it does. On this day I love Google.

RS3York
June 13th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Great news!

lexxonnet
June 13th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Yay... been waiting for this for a while now!
Runs great as well...

So... who's making the deb package :D

evil_elman
June 13th, 2006, 06:50 AM
And what do you have to do in order to be able to use a .bin file?

Re-package it?

sumadartson
June 13th, 2006, 06:56 AM
chmod +x GoogleEarth.whatever.the.bin.is.called.bin
./GoogleEarth.whatever.the.bin.is.called.bin

It then installs itself in a newly created google-earth directory in the current user's home dir.

A .deb would be nice... but this is already fantastic. I can see my house from here!

DeeZiD
June 13th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Yay!!!!!!!!

Great news :KS

DeeZiD
June 13th, 2006, 07:07 AM
It works great here, even with Xgl :D

evil_elman
June 13th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Easiest installation I've ever seen... We should have more of these 'Windows-like' installation if I might say so myself.

All other products I've installed so far has been software which isn't available in repositories and they have been a pain in comparison to this.

DeeZiD
June 13th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Easiest installation I've ever seen... We should have more of these 'Windows-like' installation if I might say so myself.

All other products I've installed so far has been software which isn't available in repositories and they have been a pain in comparison to this.

The installation is great.
Only doubleclick on the .bin file and the setup starts :)

huwshimi
June 13th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Works perfectly on amd64. Thanks google.

henriquemaia
June 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Works perfectly on amd64. Thanks google.
Very true. Works great here too on my 64bit installation.

aamukahvi
June 13th, 2006, 08:28 AM

I'd rather have a deb I can just click on to add it into the package management. It's just as easy but comes with the added benefit of being available to all users and easy removal / update.

Paloseco
June 13th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I'd rather have a deb I can just click on to add it into the package management. It's just as easy but comes with the added benefit of being available to all users and easy removal / update.

Maybe in a short time or someone will do it... The problem is that bin can be installed on any distro but deb is debian dependant, so I think there will be no deb in the near future.

G Morgan
June 13th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Can't they release an RPM via LSB. We can use the alien command then to install. The bin works fine don't get me wrong but we should encourage people to produce software via the standard methods. Prehaps when it leaves beta they will look at it.

kanem
June 13th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Yes, installations like this would make things easier. But the downside is that each program would take up this much room. This one's folder is 42MB which, for a Linux program, is huge. There are whole GNU/Linux operating systems that size.

The reason Google-earth is this big (and so easy to install) is that it includes all the libraries it could possibly need, even ones that the user already has installed. For example libqt-mt is included, which is the main (or one of the main) graphical library for KDE programs. If the user already has any KDE programs installed then having this library in the google-earth folder as well is a complete waste of space.

It might be okay for one or two programs to do this, but they can't all do this. Well, they could, but it'd be a lot of wasted space.

kanem
June 13th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Is anyone noticing smoother movement in Windows than in Ubuntu? I sense a jerkyness when rotating the planet as compared to the Windows version. Hopefully I'm just imagining it.

lexxonnet
June 13th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I actually thought movement on ubuntu was smoother... then again... that was when I last had windows, which was close to 7 or 8 months ago...

Cheizzz
June 13th, 2006, 12:53 PM
movement in Ubuntu seems slower than in windows to me too, so kanem, youre not the only one out there! :p

evil_elman
June 14th, 2006, 07:12 AM
It is indeed notably slower than in Windows... :-(

xmastree
June 14th, 2006, 07:21 AM
\\:D/

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=11127

\\:D/

Toxicity999
June 14th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I get a seg fault after the splash screen...

bruce89
June 14th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Works alright for me.

&)ky#)^
June 16th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Keep in mind that Version 4 that supports Linux is still in beta. Hopefully those problems with jerkiness and slow movement will be fixed by final release. It does work without a hitch in amd64. Hooray! However, I was having problems with networked bookmarks and 3D models from 3D warehouse.

I'd also like it in a deb file. I figure it may be available in deb soon because Picasa is available in deb.

&)ky#)^
June 16th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Another weird problem I was finding was with the ruler tool box. Try opening the ruler tool. A little options box should appear. Try moving it by dragging. Mine flies all around the screen. Anybody else have that?

easyease
June 16th, 2006, 12:21 PM
It doesnt recognise my graphics card (GeForce4 MX 440)...............wtf? the program loads but i dont see earth just the inky blackness of space where no-one can hear me scream.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

isotonic
June 16th, 2006, 04:21 PM
It crashed first time I ran it but it looks pretty kewl...the zoom in on to houses and streets is pretty impressive!

Ventajou
June 16th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I don't see the earth either, with an i855 chipset... maybe in installed Google Deep Space instead?

Somenoob
June 16th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Great news, i thought they would never release a Linux version for it.