PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 rendered computer unusable...

findlj
April 8th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Just upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 to 11.04. This had rendered my computer unusable. The display does not draw the initial desktop correctly and you cannot click on any application. All the pull down menus and any launched applications just flash in a split second and disappear.

I build custom bicycles and my BikeCad program is on this computer. I need to recover this computer to resume designing a new bike for a customer.

Can I recover the operating system to version 10.04?

Thanks in advance for any help....

cortman
April 8th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Hi, I'm sorry to hear of this! Thankfully it should be simple enough to fix.

Sounds like you lost graphics support. You can probably install the required graphics driver, but first we need to get some info on your system.
To do this you'll want to boot from a Live CD or USB key. Then follow directions given in the first answer to this question (http://superuser.com/questions/111152/whats-the-proper-way-to-prepare-chroot-to-recover-a-broken-linux-installation) to chroot into your broken system. This will give you the command prompt of your broken system within the live CD environment.
Once you have chrooted in successfully, type the following commands in the terminal:

lspci | grep -i vga
lshw -C video

And post the full output here. We can take it from there.

findlj
April 8th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I've booted from a 9.10 cd, however to mount the filesystems which are needed in the first step, it requires root. I understand the O/S has root locked by default. I've gone into user accounts and thought I'd changed the password for root (no errors anyway). I don't see any place in this utility to unlock root. However, when i try to su - root, the new password isn't correct. Get an su:authentication failure error.

Ideas on accessing the root user with a boot from CD?

Thanks for the help by the way!:p

roelforg
April 8th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I've booted from a 9.10 cd, however to mount the filesystems which are needed in the first step, it requires root. I understand the O/S has root locked by default. I've gone into user accounts and thought I'd changed the password for root (no errors anyway). I don't see any place in this utility to unlock root. However, when i try to su - root, the new password isn't correct. Get an su:authentication failure error.

sudo?
Sudo should work, if it asks a pass, just hit enter.

darkod
April 8th, 2012, 02:50 PM

In live mode in terminal you just type:
sudo <command>

and that's it. It executes it as root.

I wouldn't go messing around in Accounts, you can create more issues than the ones you already have.

roelforg
April 8th, 2012, 02:52 PM
In live mode in terminal you just type:
sudo <command>

and that's it. It executes it as root.

I wouldn't go messing around in Accounts, you can create more issues than the ones you already have.

didn't just post that like 14 min before you?
Bit double, don't you think?

findlj
April 8th, 2012, 02:59 PM
after booting from the 9.10 CD, start terminal from applications/accessories. prompt shows I'm ubuntu. run sudo root.
Recieve error "sudo not found.

roelforg
April 8th, 2012, 03:01 PM
after booting from the 9.10 CD, start terminal from applications/accessories. prompt shows I'm ubuntu. run sudo root.

Did you type a quote mark before sudo?
Because you shouldn't.
If it really isn't there, your disk is broken.

darkod
April 8th, 2012, 03:09 PM

Please read more carefully the posts. This is exactly why I tried to explain it further, but I received a complaint.

The syntax is:
sudo <command>

NOT
sudo root

You use sudo in front of any command that needs higher level, like:
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

There is no need to enter root mode and in fact it's not recommended. If you do decide to run more commands like root be careful what you execute. In that case, to enter root mode would be:
sudo -i

That should work for you.

findlj
April 8th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Gotcha! actually my screen hadn't refreshed and I missed your instruction to sudo <command>.
I'll post back my results later.

Thanks.

findlj
April 8th, 2012, 03:33 PM
a couple of the mounts did not work.

mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc gave a length usage error so I suspect I have some syntax issue there.

mount -o /dev/ /mnt/dev gave "mount: can't find /mnt/dev in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

findlj
April 8th, 2012, 03:34 PM
a couple of the mounts did not work.

mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc gave a length usage error so I suspect I have some syntax issue there.

mount -o /dev/ /mnt/dev gave "mount: can't find /mnt/dev in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

darkod
April 8th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Are you trying to chroot?

Lets assume your root partition is /dev/sda5. To chroot you can try with:

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
chroot /mnt

See if that works. If you suspect corruption on any partition you can run fsck but make sure you run it on unmounted partition.

roelforg
April 8th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Are you trying to chroot?

Lets assume your root partition is /dev/sda5. To chroot you can try with:

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
chroot /mntSee if that works. If you suspect corruption on any partition you can run fsck but make sure you run it on unmounted partition.

My chroot procedure is a little different, do you think it would matter?
Mine (already mounted on /mnt):

chroot /mnt
then in the chroot

mount -t proc proc /proc
Work

umount /proc
exit
Success!

darkod
April 8th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Not sure, I never tried that. The one I use hasn't failed me yet, but also I never needed to use it too much. :)

roelforg
April 8th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Not sure, I never tried that. The one I use hasn't failed me yet, but also I never needed to use it too much. :)
So do i, always works when using debootstap.
Let's just agree that both work.
Because /proc on the host is created on boot using my mount command, so i'm actually just creating a second /proc
Your /dev link is redundant as we know we are working with a hd which has it's /dev populated by the installer, and overmounted by a devfs on boot (irrelevant), never hurts because it could be a corrupted /dev entry causing the problem so your's is less vunerable to corrupted /dev
The /sys is a good point, it's just that i didn't really come across a case where i needed it, but again: better safe then sorry.

So short: your version allows for problems in /dev and cases where you want to have access to some lowerlevel functions (where /sys is needed, lshw is an example), whilst mine is shorter and it's pretty rare when i need /sys in a chroot.
Shorter: both are fine, just that darkod's is more faulttolerant, so A+ for darkod

recluce
April 8th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Just upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 to 11.04. This had rendered my computer unusable. The display does not draw the initial desktop correctly and you cannot click on any application. All the pull down menus and any launched applications just flash in a split second and disappear.

I build custom bicycles and my BikeCad program is on this computer. I need to recover this computer to resume designing a new bike for a customer.

Can I recover the operating system to version 10.04?

Thanks in advance for any help....

I would suggest that you restore a backup of your 10.04 installation and wait for the next LTS release later this month (and then some time for the initial bugs to be weeded out). If you need to be productive - and that surely seems to be the case - you should limit yourself to Long Term Support releases.

roelforg
April 8th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I would suggest that you restore a backup of your 10.04 installation and wait for the next LTS release later this month (and then some time for the initial bugs to be weeded out). If you need to be productive - and that surely seems to be the case - you should limit yourself to Long Term Support releases.

Just noticed:
He's going from a stable 10.04 LTS to an already outdated version (11.04)... 11.10 has been lauched quite a while ago and i'm typing on it right now

darkod
April 8th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Also, one thing I didn't want to get into, the OP says "from 10.04 to 11.04" which if doing the online upgrade should be impossible. You need to go version by version, which means you need two upgrades to get to 11.04. Unless there is a typo in there somewhere.

recluce
April 8th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Also, one thing I didn't want to get into, the OP says "from 10.04 to 11.04" which if doing the online upgrade should be impossible. You need to go version by version, which means you need two upgrades to get to 11.04. Unless there is a typo in there somewhere.

I assume that is what he did: 10.04 -> 10.10 -> 11.04

Two distro upgrades in a row. This may or may not work, but never is a good idea. That is why I suggested to restore 10.04 from backup.

findlj
April 8th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Regarding the 10.04 to 10.10 to 11.04.
that is not what I did. I tried the upgrade to the 11.04 O/S as prompted by the upgrade manager. I was not aware that i could not upgrade from 10.04 to 11.04.

So, I am assuming that if I re-install from the 10.04 iso that I recently downloaded, all data will be lost, correct? I have a backup but I'm afraid that I don't have a couple of bike configurations I've recently done. I forgot to do a complete backup again before attempting the install. Dumb, I know, I should've known better, but that is still the case...

darkod
April 8th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Not necessarily. If you boot into live mode with the cd (Try Ubuntu option), and open the partitions in the file explorer, can you read the data?

In that case you can copy to external hdd all you need.

Another option you have is to run the boot info script from the link in my signature, post the results as explained there. That will show more details what exactly do you have right now. We might be able to notice something that can help save this installation.

As for the upgrade subject, the Update Manager shouldn't have prompted you to upgrade to 11.04 directly, if you are sure that is what happened. It should prompt you only about the next release.

findlj
April 8th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Yes, the upgrade manager certainly prompted me to upgrade to 11.04 when I was at 10.04. I work as an oracle dba and I can upgrade the database through a few versions ahead. That experience is where I went wrong...

I want to verify the live mode you mention. note that I've burned an 10.04 iso cd from my mac which isn't booting, but I have a version 9.10 cd that does. So I'm booting 9.10. Is "live mode" when I choose "try ubuntu without any change to your computer" at boot time?

darkod
April 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I want to verify the live mode you mention. note that I've burned an 10.04 iso cd from my mac which isn't booting, but I have a version 9.10 cd that does. So I'm booting 9.10. Is "live mode" when I choose "try ubuntu without any change to your computer" at boot time?

Yeap. When it runs from the cd with no changes to the hdd.

You can also run the mentioned script from live mode. It really shows loads of information.

findlj
April 8th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks, I've tried it with the 9.10 boot and am accessing my backup drive okay. I'm copying the files I'll need from my internal hd to the backup hd. I'm considering alternatives now.

I've got several added programs I'd prefer not to re-install like K3B, Thunderbird Mail, etc.

Would you recommend I take a full tar backup here, install 9.10, restore the tar backup and upgrade?

darkod
April 8th, 2012, 08:28 PM
9.10 is too old. It doesn't receive any security or software updates. Plus, I believe the repositories are also closed, so you will not be able to add anything with apt-get.

After you are done with the backup, you can do the script results if you want to.

As for a version to use if you want to reinstall urgently, I would say 10.04. That will allow you to upgrade directly to 12.04 after it is released.

findlj
April 8th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Under the 11.04 O/S I can't access the terminal to run the bootinfo script. You're not asking me to run it under the live boot environment (9.10 at this time) are you? That would just reflect that environment, and be of no value for troubleshooting the 11.04, correct ?

I'm downloading the 10.04 iso file under the live boot environment on the linux box now. I don't know what happened with the one I downloaded with my mac. It doesn't boot.

darkod
April 8th, 2012, 10:56 PM
People have mentioned here that CDs burned on Mac don't boot for them. Maybe it creates different boot process, similar to EFI, etc. I don't know, I don't work on Mac.

Yes, the script can be run from any live cd, doesn't matter that you want to troubleshoot your installed 11.04. You should be able to run it from 9.10 live mode.

It scans the computer and will find your 11.04 (it should), it doesn't care about the live mode version.

Just a small note about the instructions for the script. I think in that link it still says the name is boot_info_script_XX.sh but in the latest 0.61 version they changed the name to be easier to bootinfoscript without the '_'.

So, after you unpack it, make sure to note the correct name because you know you need to run it with the exact syntax otherwise it will say file not found.

EDIT: I think this is an updated link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/files/bootinfoscript/0.61/

roelforg
April 8th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Just use the 11.10 livecd
and i think the reason is that 11.10 introduced unity.
And i keep forgetting that with my custom desktop setups.

Maybe you can chroot and run sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
though it could've been xorg-xserver, i keep getting that wrong :P

findlj
April 8th, 2012, 11:34 PM
couple of things.
first i'm running on some old Dell hardware and received a message during the 11.04 install that unity wasn't supported and I would run in Standard mode(or something similar, I really dont' remember the exact message) . So I'm wondering if I should attempt to run anything over 10.04 on this machine.

Secondly, I've downloaded the bootinfoscript under the live cd, but can't find it. I've changed to the root directory and did a find for everything under for the root but have so many permission errors, I can't locate the script. This gets me back to chroot. Do I not need root privs to run chroot?

darkod
April 8th, 2012, 11:48 PM
It will be either in Desktop or Downloads. Just open the Home folder in live mode, and look in Downloads first, then Desktop.

But if you closed the live session you will need to download again since it's not saved in live mode.

roelforg
April 9th, 2012, 12:00 AM
couple of things.
first i'm running on some old Dell hardware and received a message during the 11.04 install that unity wasn't supported and I would run in Standard mode(or something similar, I really dont' remember the exact message) . So I'm wondering if I should attempt to run anything over 10.04 on this machine.

Secondly, I've downloaded the bootinfoscript under the live cd, but can't find it. I've changed to the root directory and did a find for everything under for the root but have so many permission errors, I can't locate the script. This gets me back to chroot. Do I not need root privs to run chroot?
Chown the script to root and give perms 777

If you were replying to me with that unity thing, xorg if the prog behind every de and it handles your screen and, as a result, global display problems usually occurr here.

findlj
April 9th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I would like to thank roelforg, darkod and cortman (and anyone else involved) for all your help.

I've not been able to burn a bootable iso for version 10, even with a live boot Ubuntu. I've been running Ubuntu for 5 years, upgraded several times with very little or no issue. This one has been very disappointing and a significant impact on my bike building business.

I've loaded the version 9 iso on the box in question and will move the individual BikeCad designs to my mac. I've loaded BikeCad on the Mac.

I'm buying a new computer soon, until now it was going to be Ubuntu with a new large screen for design. I'm seriously re-thinking that now.

findlj
April 17th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Wanted to post an update. I've recovered the computer by installing Ubuntu 12.04 beta and recovered my data via my external backup drive successfully. I have to re-install a few programs yet. But overall, the recovery from the 11.04 upgrade fiasco has been a success.

Things I've learned is that I'll stick with just the LTS versions for the computers with any important data like my BikeCAD designs and important communiques. I'll upgrade to 12.04's full release as soon as it's available.

Thanks again for all the help.

SUPERFITTER
April 17th, 2012, 05:54 AM
I assume that is what he did: 10.04 -> 10.10 -> 11.04

Two distro upgrades in a row. This may or may not work, but never is a good idea. That is why I suggested to restore 10.04 from backup.

Wanted to post an update. I've recovered the computer by installing Ubuntu 12.04 beta and recovered my data via my external backup drive successfully. I have to re-install a few programs yet. But overall, the recovery from the 11.04 upgrade fiasco has been a success.

findlj

I'm a little confused, if you went from 10.04 directly to 11.04 and had all these problems. How did going from 10.04 to 11.04 and then 12.04 work? What did I miss?

When you skip a version, what happens to Ubuntu in your computer?

SUPERFITTER
April 18th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Can I update to 12.04 when it is avalable from 11.10? Or should I download and burn 12.04 to a disk and install new?

darkod
April 19th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Can I update to 12.04 when it is avalable from 11.10? Or should I download and burn 12.04 to a disk and install new?

Yes, you can upgrade when 12.04 is released.

Clean install is always better than upgrade. The decision is up to you.