PDA

View Full Version : Any planet hunters here?

Dry Lips
April 7th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I just wondered how many of you guys who are planet hunters? http://www.planethunters.org/

Zooniverse also has quite a few other interesting projects. Personally I've contributed to galaxy zoo and a couple of others. https://www.zooniverse.org/

MisterGaribaldi
April 7th, 2012, 11:04 PM
How can you even see anything on that UI of theirs? They show you a bunch of scattered white dots and then ask if you can see transits. The dots are basically all the same. You can't even hardly zoom in on it at all!

Sorry, I've got better things to do with my time than this.

Dry Lips
April 7th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Planet hunting isn't for everyone and takes practise... It's confusing for a few minutes until you know what to do. It's not as difficult as you'd think. ;)

And I'm not sure what you're referring when it comes to the zooming. You can zoom as much as you want by simply dragging the handles (the white circles). Very easy.

PS. Do the tutorial and read the information you find on the site in order to get an idea of what it's about.

Paqman
April 7th, 2012, 11:23 PM
How can you even see anything on that UI of theirs? They show you a bunch of scattered white dots and then ask if you can see transits. The dots are basically all the same. You can't even hardly zoom in on it at all!

Sorry, I've got better things to do with my time than this.

You were expecting them to be easy to spot? If they were obvious it could just have been automated.

Lucradia
April 8th, 2012, 05:21 AM
You were expecting them to be easy to spot? If they were obvious it could just have been automated.

This. Planets aren't stars, they take a bit more oomph to point out. Even some Stars are hard to see when eclipsed by other stars (or, you might be looking at a binary star system.)

Most efficient way, so far, for "normal" people... is to see a planet pass in front of the star it orbits. There are obviously more ways to see planets.

Bandit
April 8th, 2012, 06:22 AM
This. Planets aren't stars, they take a bit more oomph to point out. Even some Stars are hard to see when eclipsed by other stars (or, you might be looking at a binary star system.)

Most efficient way, so far, for "normal" people... is to see a planet pass in front of the star it orbits. There are obviously more ways to see planets.

Yea Doppler shift is also very effective, but not for amateurs as the equipment and time requirements are more then a hobbyist to manage. At least if you lazy like I am..

Lucradia
April 8th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Only exception to visible planets that only require "basic" telescopes (or even un-aided eyes), is our own solar system's planets. =/ Some planets though can become quite visible, especially venus and mars (especially mars in its dust season)