PDA

View Full Version : Western Digital hdd are the best for me.

critin
April 7th, 2012, 05:07 AM
My hdd's just keep going and going no matter what the Smart Data says about failure. One has 318 failed sectors and another 68. Both are Western Digitals. I can install, delete, reformat and install again with no issues at all. :KS

The funny thing is, another (Seagate Baracuda) shows no failed sectors and it's given me problems with installations for a few weeks now.. It's also over four yrs old.

Why spend the money for new ssd when refurbished WD work so well?
I wondered if others have such good luck with their favorite brands?

Bandit
April 7th, 2012, 05:27 AM
WD had a bad spell for a few years about 12 years back, back then I used Maxtor or IBM drives a lot and loved them. But since then for better part of 8 years now WD got their act together from what I can tell and have been super solid and fast. I had two WD (1st gen) Raptors that were awesome and now have 4 WD Blue Caviar drives in a stripped disk array and very happy with them. On the same note I have an external Seagate Free Agent that has costed me some legit music data I may have to reaquire ways I rather not.

leecheroflife
April 7th, 2012, 07:37 AM
All of my Harddrives are, have been, and most probably will be, WD. I suffer somewhat from brand loyalty :P (WD hard drives, NVIDIA graphics, AMD processors and GIGABYTE motherboards, always have done)

3rdalbum
April 7th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I don't see any reason for people not to choose Western Digital. They're usually a bit cheaper and just as fast and reliable... maybe even more reliable than other brands.

There's probably some exotic models in other brands for specific niches, but WD has never failed me.

Frogs Hair
April 7th, 2012, 04:10 PM
WD works for me .

synaptix
April 7th, 2012, 04:15 PM
I've been a fan of Seagate, since they acquired Maxtor Corporation.

CharlesA
April 7th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Heh. I think I've got drives from all major companies - some Hitachi (IBM??), some WD and some Seagate. Haven't had any problems with them.

sandyd
April 8th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Im currently using after-market RE3s on my blades. They've lasted for two years, with one failure (which was actually due to problem with the power supply, not the drive itself) Im thinking of changing to RE4s though, since there can be a bit of a bottleneck sometimes, and my machines support SATA3.

Still wondering if it would be worth it.