PDA

View Full Version : get hired as a programmer

il_maniscalco
April 7th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I know how to program but have no experience, so that noone gives me a chance. I could work as a freelance but having no experience, I don't know if I am enough skilled to get a project and develope it.

I would like to make that footstep which could make me a desirable developer in the market, improving my resume with some concrete work.

But the open source world seems to be (luckily, there are so many great softwares for us to use) as competitive as the job market.

So, I am stuck and feel I can't move.

I am pretty sure that I'm as good as people who have jobs in the field, but if I can't get any chances (and here in Italy economy is in trouble) I can't become a real developer.

Any ideas, fact, word?

Drakx
April 7th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Hi il_maniscalco,

I know how your feeling. I really do I was once also in that position my advice to you is to keep trying as freelance/job hunting some one will give you a break to prove your as good as you say you are (I'm not saying your not).
It's not only the software development field that is doing this almost all aspects of IT related fields are, it's a nasty catch 22 circle that can go on for years if your really unlucky (having said that if your still trying after years then you're more determined then most people in the field your seeking employment in)

Find some websites that are looking for developers as a freelance and go from there once you have a few months/years experience behind you (depending on how good you are) your bound to walk into a job or you may just enjoy working as a freelance :)

EDIT:
It seem people have said what I was going to add and that was go get your degree (the best thing I ever did) it really does open doors for you. My above answer was on the assumption you had some kind of degree in the related field.

alexfish
April 7th, 2012, 01:54 AM
and then or even now google

educational jobs teaching linux and programming

Bandit
April 7th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I know how to program but have no experience, so that noone gives me a chance. I could work as a freelance but having no experience, I don't know if I am enough skilled to get a project and develope it............

Go to college and get an IT Programming Degree. You will learn what you need to know there. If you dont know if you are skilled enough, chances are you are not. Cant afford college, join the military like many of us did and get Mont GI Bill and College Fund. Spend 4 years in the service, get skilled in life and dealing with large corporations/government. Then get your Honorable Discharge which looks good on resume as well and come home and do the college thing and use GI Bill college Fund to get paid to go to college so you dont have to work while in school.

LiNIX420
April 7th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Make own program, earn cash...
I have a idea, dont know how to program. Idea is the best, secret...
The program is so simple, no investment just time and cash will roll in...
I chill till im dont with it, gonna take years cause i cant program

jpeddicord
April 7th, 2012, 03:53 AM
I mean no offense by this, but do you have a degree? If not, look into going for one. Many many businesses will only hire a BS-CS for programming jobs, and not having at least a Bachelor's will make things difficult. Not impossible, but difficult.

I know saying "get a degree" sounds like an offhand remark for something that takes 4 years, but it really is worth it. I thought I knew everything I needed to know about programming, yet I'm nearing graduation on my degree and I've learned things I never would have even thought of otherwise.

cbennett926
April 7th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Go to college and get an IT Programming Degree. You will learn what you need to know there. If you dont know if you are skilled enough, chances are you are not. Cant afford college, join the military like many of us did and get Mont GI Bill and College Fund. Spend 4 years in the service, get skilled in life and dealing with large corporations/government. Then get your Honorable Discharge which looks good on resume as well and come home and do the college thing and use GI Bill college Fund to get paid to go to college so you dont have to work while in school.

+1

Exactly what I was thinking.

il_maniscalco
April 9th, 2012, 09:59 PM
thanks to all, it's very appreciated.

sudo apt kill
April 9th, 2012, 10:45 PM
The problem you have is there are plenty of "Weekend Warriors" just like you out there. Essentially people who know a little bit about this and that but don't have that understanding of the science, maths and general tomfoolery that goes on under the hood.

Problem is most warriors are self taught via the Internet and when you factor in that most Internet content is written at the level of a 14-16 year old you realise the vocational knowledge they have could never compare with someone fresh out of MIT.

I taught myself programing too so please don't think I'm talking down to you! I'm in exactly the same boat knowing a little and desperately wanting to expand my knowledge and enter a good career path! I got so fed up I decided last year to do a 3 years Bsc in web dev and then a Msc in comp sci. I'm currently finishing off all I need to enter uni this September and during the next three years I've to take physics and maths AS Level! It's going to be hard but my instinct is thats what needs to be done! No one is going to hire some dude because he knows a little bit of this and that. You need a degree and preferably one with computer science in the title!

I guess what I'm saying is get yourself down to university! Education is what separates the local web design guy earning £10,000 a year and the software engineer earning £100,000 with stock options!

WinterMadness
April 10th, 2012, 12:07 AM
I know how to program but have no experience, so that noone gives me a chance. I could work as a freelance but having no experience, I don't know if I am enough skilled to get a project and develope it.

I would like to make that footstep which could make me a desirable developer in the market, improving my resume with some concrete work.

But the open source world seems to be (luckily, there are so many great softwares for us to use) as competitive as the job market.

So, I am stuck and feel I can't move.

I am pretty sure that I'm as good as people who have jobs in the field, but if I can't get any chances (and here in Italy economy is in trouble) I can't become a real developer.

Any ideas, fact, word?

internships

Redblade20XX
April 10th, 2012, 12:34 AM
internships

+1 This.^
Usually when your in school, its best to do allot of these. But if your not in school, its still possible but allot harder to get.

-Red