PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu for Android

anewguy
April 6th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I've always been curious about the Ubuntu for Android page on the ubuntu home page. Is this a call to manufacturers, or is there a running version of this? If there is a running version, will it run on a 16gb Nook Tablet?

Thanks in advance!

Dave ;)

Paqman
April 6th, 2012, 08:28 PM
They're just aiming at manufacturers right now, there's nothing built that you can download and install.

philinux
April 6th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Moved to cafe.

wolfen69
April 7th, 2012, 12:21 AM
I've always been curious about the Ubuntu for Android page on the ubuntu home page. Is this a call to manufacturers, or is there a running version of this? If there is a running version, will it run on a 16gb Nook Tablet?

Thanks in advance!

Dave ;)
I wish! But I think it will happen sooner than later. Then, if you don't need a quad core i7 and 16gb ram computer, this will be perfect for everyday computing. Pretty soon "phones" will ship with 2gb of ram or more, making it possible to do most computing tasks easily. And intel is developing chips that will play advanced 3D games on ultra portable devices. Intel CES 2012 Cell Phone Demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSeHgqXakS0) Awesome!

anewguy
April 7th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Moved to cafe.

Hey philinux: like the avatar and title! And remember.....always pick the Abbie Normal brain!

And who can forget Frau Brucker (sp??) - horses bay in the stable.....

Dave ;)

QIII
April 7th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Ixnay on the ottenray!

anewguy
April 7th, 2012, 02:40 AM
;) Guess who's got to go hunting through his extremely small DVD collection tonight?? ;)

wolfen69
April 7th, 2012, 04:28 AM
;) Guess who's got to go hunting through his extremely small DVD collection tonight?? ;)

Hmmmmm, Ok. I hope things work out for you

3rdalbum
April 7th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Pretty soon "phones" will ship with 2gb of ram or more, making it possible to do most computing tasks easily.

I don't know what you need 2 GiB of RAM for in a phone, considering that my Acer Aspire One works perfectly well with Ubuntu 12.04 on half that RAM...

anewguy
April 7th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Hmmmmm, Ok. I hope things work out for you

You know, I've only got around 40 or 50 DVDs but do you think I can find Young Frankenstein? But, I did find Blazing Saddles so I watched it instead.

But I really want to find my Young Frankenstein!

Dave ;)

wolfen69
April 7th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I don't know what you need 2 GiB of RAM for in a phone, considering that my Acer Aspire One works perfectly well with Ubuntu 12.04 on half that RAM...

Get over the fact that we call them "phones". They are portable computers that make phone calls. Why increase the memory in any device?

anewguy
April 7th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Get over the fact that we call them "phones". They are portable computers that make phone calls. Why increase the memory in any device?

+1 A phone hangs on the wall or sits on a desk, with or without a dial, and the only function it has is telephone calls. Anything with internet, messaging, apps, etc., IS a computer. That's why they have a processor and memory. I'm showing my age a little, but I remember my g-grandparents still having an old "box" phone on their rural farm. You picked it up, waited for the operator, and asked what was inevitably "her" for something like Washington 559. Mind you we had A (like in 1 in the entire house) dial phone at home - but it also had a thing called a party line - too long to explain but you sure didn't order a six pack of silver bullets with it.

Dave ;)

forrestcupp
April 7th, 2012, 04:22 PM
+1 A phone hangs on the wall or sits on a desk, with or without a dial, and the only function it has is telephone calls. Anything with internet, messaging, apps, etc., IS a computer. That's why they have a processor and memory. I'm showing my age a little, but I remember my g-grandparents still having an old "box" phone on their rural farm. You picked it up, waited for the operator, and asked what was inevitably "her" for something like Washington 559. Mind you we had A (like in 1 in the entire house) dial phone at home - but it also had a thing called a party line - too long to explain but you sure didn't order a six pack of silver bullets with it.

Dave ;)

Pennsylvania 6-5000!

I wish we still had party lines so I could know what my neighbor is up to without hacking their cell phone signal. :)

anewguy
April 7th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Pennsylvania 6-5000!

I wish we still had party lines so I could know what my neighbor is up to without hacking their cell phone signal. :)

Ah the good old days! I love the hacking in to know what your neighbor is up to. Okay, not so much that hacking, but the idea of why is funny as heck.

Dave ;

wolfen69
April 8th, 2012, 03:08 AM

They will need 2gb so people can connect them to a dock and run ubuntu on an LCD. Many phones are shipping with 1gb right now. And as people use more memory hungry apps, it will be needed. Remember, they are not so much a phone, they are portable computers that make phone calls. Intel is on the verge of shipping very powerful processors in "phones" and tablets. Heck, the Galaxy Note is essentially a small tablet (5.3") but can make calls. I'm probably getting one if I can find one used, or prices go down enough in 6 to 9 months.