PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fully Qualified Domain and ISPconfig3

Lundix
April 6th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Cheers,

Just a noob here that need some clear an concise answers to fundamental question concerning domains, domain names, FQDN etc

The scenario for me is as follow:

1.) I have set up and ISPConfig3 following a comprehensive tutorial (http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-11.10-ispconfig-3-p6)

The IPSConfig Admin Page is accessible from my browser and the server visible.

None the less, off course I want to host some websites on my server. I have registered a domain already and want to use that domain name for a web site running on my home server.

So my questions are:

1.) If my registered domain name is "random-it.se" and the server name is "srv1" what will the FQDN server name be. My guess is "srv1.random-it.se"?

2.) Can I change the server name with a correct FQDN retroactive after setting ISPConfig, perhaps by editing /etc/amavis/conf.d/05-node_id?

3.) I will use my public IP and a virtual server running on my router to point to my web page. What info (if any) do I need to submit to the company where I bought my domain name?

4. Do I need to register the FQDN name somewhere?

Answers to these questions would be of great help for me to be more sure about my next steps. Thanks in advance ...:p