PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How stable is ubuntu 12.04 server beta2?

Jagoly
April 6th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I've got a week off now (school holidays) and I'd like to update my server. Right now, its running a very dirty (meaning set up by a much less knowledgeable past version of me) installation of ubuntu 11.04 server.

Stability isn't really important, nor is uptime, it's only a home server. My main concern is that, if I update (complete reinstall really) now, will it still update itself into a full and clean installation of 12.04? I'd like to keep it running 12.04 for the rest of the machine's lifetime.

If it makes a difference it's a sandy bridge i3 system on an ASrock board, with a pair of raid1 WD scorpio blue 320gb HDDs.

hughr2005
April 6th, 2012, 10:38 AM
As far as I know if you run sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade on a 12.04 beta install when the complete version is released it will update to the full released version. I haven't had a chance to test the beta yet, but I haven't heard of anybody having any problems.

Cheesemill
April 6th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I've been testing 12.04 Server for a few months now and been perfectly happy with the stability.
I still wouldn't use it on a production system yet but that is only common sense, for your purposes though I see no reason not to.
If you update the beta version after the official release date then yes, it will update to the release version.
One word of warning though, avoid doing a partial upgrade:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859240

Jagoly
April 6th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Awesome XD
I've got something to do tonight now, thanks :-)