PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] How do you add web mail notification and calendar to Gnome 3?

Svante65
April 6th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Is it possible to add web mail notification and calendar to Gnome 3?
What I want is to get notifications from Gnome 3, when I receive a mail in my gmail and maybe also hotmail if possible.
I also would like my Google calender to be connected to the Gnome 3 calendar. Is that possible?

cottfcfan
April 6th, 2012, 11:37 AM
gm-notify is in the repos, install & configure and it integrates with the envelope icon on your panel.
As for your calendar, I think if you install xul-ext-lightning, and configure it with Thunderbird, you should be able to access your google calendar from add-ons.

Svante65
April 7th, 2012, 10:23 AM
gm-notify is in the repos, install & configure and it integrates with the envelope icon on your panel.
As for your calendar, I think if you install xul-ext-lightning, and configure it with Thunderbird, you should be able to access your google calendar from add-ons.
Can it be done without including Thunderbird or Evolution? It seems that Gnome 3 is hooked up to Evolution.
I want to total web-enable my Gnome 3 desktop, without using any local installed programs like Thunderbird and Evolution. Maybe it's not possible yet???

cottfcfan
April 7th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Can it be done without including Thunderbird or Evolution?
I Think so.
Configure gm-notify to use "gmail web interface" instead of email client, then when you click on the envelope & inbox, it should connect you to the web & your gmail account.

Frogs Hair
April 7th, 2012, 03:41 PM
You may want look at this link, it describes a method to integrate Google Calendar in the Gnome Shell without Evolution. http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/google-calendar-gnome-shell-integration.html

Svante65
April 8th, 2012, 07:29 AM
You may want look at this link, it describes a method to integrate Google Calendar in the Gnome Shell without Evolution. http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/google-calendar-gnome-shell-integration.html
Works fine !:p Thanks. Hope it's safe....
Gnome should make an integration with Google Calendar as a standard option.
Maybe in the future...

Svante65
April 8th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I Think so.
Configure gm-notify to use "gmail web interface" instead of email client, then when you click on the envelope & inbox, it should connect you to the web & your gmail account.
Is there a 'gm-notify' that can include other web-mail accounts like hotmail?

cottfcfan
April 8th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Is there a 'gm-notify' that can include other web-mail accounts like hotmail?

If you search "hotmail" in synaptic, there seem to be 1 or 2 apps.
How well they work i don't know as i don't have a hotmail account.
Just try them!

Svante65
April 8th, 2012, 10:09 AM
If you search "hotmail" in synaptic, there seem to be 1 or 2 apps.
How well they work i don't know as i don't have a hotmail account.
Just try them!
I will install synaptic and try that :p