PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Executing C program thorugh PHP....Please help..!!!

satyamM
April 6th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a c program which produces a desired output on executing it ( gcc prog.c and then ./a.out)....

But I am not able to configure how to rum this program through php....I have seen at some sites that it can done by exec function..

I am using a Ubuntu 10.04 OS where apache server is installed and localhost is located at /var/www ....I am putting my C program file here, ./a.out executable and a file.php file in which i am writing something like

<?php
execl("/var/www", "./a.out" , "NULL", (char *)0););
?>

But its not working....obvioulsy there is something which I dont know.....please tell me how to do it.

SeijiSensei
April 6th, 2012, 04:09 PM
First, I suggest reading the PHP manual if you're trying to use PHP. Here's the page describing the exec() function (http://php.net/manual/en/function.exec.php).

What exactly are you trying to do? Do you need to have the output from the program put into a string and displayed in a web page? If so, I recommend using the system() (http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.system.php) command instead.

<?php
$prog_output=system('/path/to/a.out');
echo $prog_output;
?>
system() is functionally equivalent to the "backtick" operator or the $() construct in bash.

There's an additional issue that you need to consider, permissions. The apache webserver runs as a pseudo-user "www-data" and has only the same permissions as that user does. That means your program must be readable and executable by the www-data user. The simplest way to test this is to use "sudo su -" to become the root user, followed by "su www-data" to become the www-data user. Now try to run the program from the command prompt using its full path. If that works, then you should be fine running the program from within a PHP script. If not, you need to fix the permissions on the program so that the www-data user can read and execute it.

Cheesemill
April 6th, 2012, 05:39 PM
The simplest way to test this is to use "sudo su -" to become the root user, followed by "su www-data" to become the www-data user. Now try to run the program from the command prompt using its full path.

Or just:

sudo -u www-data /path/to/command

satyamM
April 9th, 2012, 03:31 PM
@SeijiSensei (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=698195) My program is running on apache server......it is all ok with localhost....no problem with that...

Problem is happening whenever I am hosting my files on local college server......I am not getting desired output when hosted on local college server......but perfectly working on Localhost(apache server) as told......please help...!!!!

SeijiSensei
April 10th, 2012, 03:45 PM
You need to talk to the college IT management, then. We really can't diagnose a configuration like that. It may be heavily locked down, or perhaps it requires you to use cgi-bin methods rather than PHP to run executables. Only they can tell you what you need to do.