PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop authentication overlay silently exits

santosh83
April 6th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Hi all,

Am using Maverick 64-bit.

I noticed that the desktop authentication 'overlay' (gksu I suppose) - which greys out the screen and asks for password to perform privileged actions - does not give any indication if I enter a wrong password, but silently exits.

This is unintuitive behaviour. I'd have expected it to display 'Incorrect password' or some such message, and wait for another attempt.

Is this experienced by others too, and is the same in current releases as well?

Thanks.

Ravi5kumar
April 6th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I am also using Ubuntu 10.10 but I have no issue like you have. Umm.. perhaps something is messed up...
BTW a different approach is to ditch 10.10, as it has only 4 days support left, and install 11.10. Or wait for the final release of Ubuntu 12.04.

santosh83
April 6th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I am also using Ubuntu 10.10 but I have no issue like you have. Umm.. perhaps something is messed up...
BTW a different approach is to ditch 10.10, as it has only 4 days support left, and install 11.10. Or wait for the final release of Ubuntu 12.04.

Yes I've been using this 10.10 ever since it was released, and have installed a ton of extra programs and don't quite a bit of customisations, so the very thought of an upgrade/reinstall puts me off!

Besides I've got only 1Gb RAM here, and even in Maverick the system starts swapping heavily after a few large programs are opened. I don't care to think how much RAM Unity and HUD are going to gobble up, leaving me with even less usable!

My plan now is to stick with 10.10 for a few more months till I can upgrade the h/w partially. Certainly I need more RAM and another HDD; the current 40Gb disk is 90% full.

I figure I should be safe enough with Firewall on, NoScript + RequestPolicy + httpsEverywhere + AdBlock, and Java blocked! :-)

Ravi5kumar
April 6th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Besides I've got only 1Gb RAM here, and even in Maverick the system starts swapping heavily after a few large programs are opened. I don't care to think how much RAM Unity and HUD are going to gobble up, leaving me with even less usable!

Like you I also don't love Unity. Will switch to Kubuntu or Xubuntu 12.04. Yes you should upgrade your RAM, I think at least 2 GB is sufficient. If you have more budget I recommend you should get 4 GB RAM with a bit better hard disk.
And BTW I am from Kolkata, India.