PDA

View Full Version : A big meteorite hit Norway

BWF89
June 12th, 2006, 11:17 PM
At around 2:05 a.m. on Wednesday, residents of the northern part of Troms and the western areas of Finnmark could clearly see a ball of fire taking several seconds to travel across the sky.

A few minutes later an impact could be heard and geophysics and seismology research foundation NORSAR registered a powerful sound and seismic disturbances at 02:13.25 a.m. at their station in Karasjok.

Farmer Peter Bruvold was out on his farm in Lyngseidet with a camera because his mare Virika was about to foal for the first time.

"I saw a brilliant flash of light in the sky, and this became a light with a tail of smoke," Bruvold told Aftenposten.no. He photographed the object and then continued to tend to his animals when he heard an enormous crash.

"I heard the bang seven minutes later. It sounded like when you set off a solid charge of dynamite a kilometer (0.62 miles) away," Bruvold said.

Astronomers were excited by the news.

"There were ground tremors, a house shook and a curtain was blown into the house," Norway's best known astronomer Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard told Aftenposten.no.

Røed Ødegaard said the meteorite was visible to an area of several hundred kilometers despite the brightness of the midnight sunlit summer sky. The meteorite hit a mountainside in Reisadalen in North Troms.

"This is simply exceptional. I cannot imagine that we have had such a powerful meteorite impact in Norway in modern times. If the meteorite was as large as it seems to have been, we can compare it to the Hiroshima bomb. Of course the meteorite is not radioactive, but in explosive force we may be able to compare it to the (atomic) bomb," Røed Ødegaard said.

The astronomer believes the meteorite was a giant rock and probably the largest known to have struck Norway.

"The record was the Alta meteorite that landed in 1904. That one was 90 kilos (198 lbs) but we think the meteorite that landed Wednesday was considerably larger," Røed Ødegaard said, and urged members of the public who saw the object or may have found remnants to contact the Institute of Astrophysics.
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1346411.ece

acorn22
June 12th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Did superman come out of it?

holihue
September 24th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Nice, my dad took the picture...:)

n3tfury
September 24th, 2007, 11:02 AM
he took the picture that's in the article? if not, let's see it.

23meg
September 24th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I read that another one hit Peru recently, and many people who visited the crash site became ill.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7001897.stm

n3tfury
September 24th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I read that another one hit Peru recently, and many people who visited the crash site became ill.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7001897.stm

good thing that didn't happen in the states. townsfolk wouldn't know who to sue.

Nano Geek
September 24th, 2007, 01:08 PM
good thing that didn't happen in the states. townsfolk wouldn't know who to sue.:)

silent1643
September 24th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Did superman come out of it?

lol:lolflag:

weatherman
September 24th, 2007, 02:31 PM
good thing that didn't happen in the states. townsfolk wouldn't know who to sue.
:lolflag:

Lucifiel
September 24th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Ooh... watch out for latent powers. ;)

Who knows, you might get The Joker running around. :)

izanbardprince
September 24th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Hopefully a bigger one follows.

Enough to sterilize this planet of the human disease, but leave the bacteria alive to start the process of evolution over again.

Maybe the monkeys won't form an Evolution Committee this time.

Seriously though, I saw this movie, Bruce Willis saves all of us.

izanbardprince
September 24th, 2007, 02:47 PM

Of course they would.

The Air Force and NASA for not nuking it!

orange2k
September 24th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Hopefully a bigger one follows.

Enough to sterilize this planet of the human disease, but leave the bacteria alive to start the process of evolution over again.

You sound just like agent Smith...

izanbardprince
September 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM
You sound just like agent Smith...

Don't nuke the rock, tell me where it's gonna land and I'll put my lawn chair and pitcher of iced tea right on ground zero and wait for it!

While everyone else would be killing each other trying to get away from it, not being smart enough to understand it doesn't matter WHERE you are, I'd be the only SOB trying to get closer to the impact site.