PDA

View Full Version : LTS: canonical desktop support for Unity/Unity2d only?

keithpeter
April 5th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Hello All

Have tested a 10.04.4 -> 12.04 upgrade using the software udate upgrade path and it went very smoothly. As always with testing I used a 'spare' PC and did not risk any important data. 12.04 is due to be released later this month. 10.04 will reach the end of the support period in early 2013.

Does Canonical paid support involve the Unity/Unity2d desktop only or will it extend to Gnome Panel (aka gnome-fallback) or XFCE?

Just wondering what the training/introduction requirement may be for people confronting the Unity desktop for the first time in a work setting, and what resources we can muster in the form of walkthrough videos, leaflets, posters &c as a community effort

3rdalbum
April 5th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Just wondering what the training/introduction requirement may be for people confronting the Unity desktop for the first time in a work setting, and what resources we can muster in the form of walkthrough videos, leaflets, posters &c as a community effort

Great question, and I think Canonical should answer it to ease the migration retraining hassles.

If Gnome Session Fallback is in the 'Main' channel then Canonical officially supports it.

keithpeter
April 5th, 2012, 12:53 PM
If Gnome Session Fallback is in the 'Main' channel then Canonical officially supports it.

Thanks 3rdalbum

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/gnome_3/precise/main/base/gnome-session-fallback

gnome-session-fallback is in main, but is not installed by default. It would be helpful to know Canonical's position on supporting the fallback session with people who are migrating from 10.04 to 12.04.

I think the community here can muster a fair range of material for using Unity, but it might need presenting in a slightly different way for end users who do not find the OS itself interesting.