PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Programming for windows

voodoochild850
April 5th, 2012, 12:26 PM
As part of my job I need to be able to program for windows, I only have Ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop now, so for Linux what C++ IDE's are available and how can I test the programs?

raja.genupula
April 5th, 2012, 12:32 PM
we have many good IDE
Code Blocks
Geany
Eclipse
Netbeans

there is a useful discussion for in the IDE's of C++
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/79210/best-c-ide-for-nix

hope that helps.

santosh83
April 5th, 2012, 12:33 PM
As part of my job I need to be able to program for windows, I only have Ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop now, so for Linux what C++ IDE's are available and how can I test the programs?

Even if you write your Windows code on Linux IDEs, you'd need to cross-compile. That's a messy situation. Even if you do so, you'd still need Windows for testing, or you'd have to test under WINE.

Your best solution is to install Windows (and its development tools) alongside Linux and dual boot or install Windows in a virtual machine under Linux.

Back when I used Windows, for my hobbyist programming, Visual C++ Express Edition was good enough. Under Linux I prefer Vim and command-line to compile. But some very good Linux IDEs are Eclipse, Netbeans, KDevelop, and Anjuta.

Mark Phelps
April 5th, 2012, 12:39 PM
As part of my job I need to be able to program for windows, ...

Then, you'll need to use MS Windows for testing, if not for actual development. Wine is not going to cut it because, after all, it is NOT a Windows Emulator.

voodoochild850
April 5th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I was afraid of that, im trying to install codeblocks but I cant get it to install for some reason, but I guess it doesnt really matter anyways