PDA

View Full Version : Laptop

Cyfr
June 12th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Hi currently I have a Toshiba F10. 1.7Ghz centrino, 512mb ram, 5700fxgo

I want to buy a new laptop, but I want to know all the hardware is supported, is system72.com the cheapest place since I dont have to buy xp? Or are there cheaper?
I notice that system72 come with dapper, but the high end ones are ati based, I thought ati wasnt well supported on linux?

Any suggestions greatfull. I'm in the UK, but a US site would be ideal because of exchange rate, providing they could send it as gift
Cyfr is online now Edit/Delete Message

aysiu
June 12th, 2006, 10:37 PM
You may want to send a private message to Carl Richell (username crichell on these forums), and ask him. He runs System 76, as far as I can tell.

John.Michael.Kane
June 12th, 2006, 10:46 PM
You can also look into whitebox laptops, and build your own.

Cyfr
June 12th, 2006, 11:07 PM
You can also look into whitebox laptops, and build your own.

Whats the best sort of website to look at? ebuyer didn't have much :(

and the ati thing?

John.Michael.Kane
June 12th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Heres some whitebox Nvidia Based Laptops (http://castle.pricewatch.com/s/search.asp?sc=nvidia&Page=1&i=336&c=Notebooks+%2D+No+OS&srt=t&view=&his=0&paging=1&mpi=306&mpc=Motherboard+Combos) No OS/CPU/HardDrive/Memory

IYY
June 13th, 2006, 12:15 AM
If these guys design laptops for Linux and put ATI chips there, obviously these are the ones that don't have problems with Linux support.

Cyfr
June 13th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Hi I'm thinking about getting:
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/270483/art/sony/vaio-vgn-fe21s-core-duo-1.html?srcid=683
Tomorrow..

It's not going to be any cheaper getting one from System76 for me, because I have to pay 17.5% VAT and a $60 delivery also, so I think I can get one just as cheap from a store. I'll be buying the laptop above (if I get it) from pcworld (EEK! :p)

What do you guys think about this sony? I did a search to see if anyones had any problems but I didnt find any matches for the model number..

Zodiac
June 13th, 2006, 09:25 PM
IMHO these Linux laptop makers stuff is ridiculously overpriced... it isn't even bleeding edge!

Cyfr
June 13th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Forgot to add, that I will be trying to use the Microsoft Windows EULA to get a refund on Windows, so hopefully that will knock £100 off the price of the Sony too. Although, dosn't matter if I fail to do so :p

pianoboy3333
June 13th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Anyone know where I can buy a whitebox/book to build my own? I've been interested in doing so, but I haven't found a place to get one from.

John.Michael.Kane
June 13th, 2006, 10:05 PM
pianoboy3333 try looking at the link posted above..

Cyfr
June 14th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Just to help anyone else, today I bought a Sony Vaio FE21S:
1.83ghz Duo
1Gig ram
15.4" screen
Nvidia Geforce 7600go 128mb

Everything I have tested works.
Graphics (XGL working and running, no probs installing, Google Earth running)
Sound works perfect on dapper install, the volume hotkeys even work.
It uses both cores once you upgrade to 686 kernel
Wireless works flawlessly
Not tried the dvd writer yet.
i'm very pleased :D

opensourcerocks
June 15th, 2006, 12:00 AM
What was worng with your old laptop? Your old one is still much better than my laptop.

Cyfr
June 15th, 2006, 12:21 AM
What was worng with your old laptop? Your old one is still much better than my laptop.

I don't know what Toshiba did but I could never get nvidia drivers working no matter what I did, and I really wanted XGL and gfx support so I could play games now and again.

Thats the main reason I wanted an upgrade