PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu web server

Heart4Linux
April 5th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Hi guys,
i'm helping out a friend to setup and run about 5 websites for a small organization who works with foster children, and the purpose is of information only.
We expect to have an average of 5 - 10 visitors per day/per website. The school is in a rural area, so we do not plan/expect anything big.

In my garage, i have a used computer that I used until two, three years ago, until i bought a bigger one. Few days ago while searching on the internet for hosting prices, I came across a comment made by a user who suggested to use "that old computer in the basement" and "set up your own web server."

Not being a web master or an expert programmer but a moderate Ubuntu user, i was wondering if you'd go for setting up the good old pc with Ubuntu-Server, or pay a monthly fee and have them hosted on a hosting site.

The center has a cable connection, and has never been a problem; the current speed is 24M/8M. We have so far only 2 pcs connected (as I said, it's a small organization).

If you were me, would you choose a hosting service, or set up and run the old pc?

Robert