PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity Sidebar stays put

Enkel
April 4th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Hi guys,
I'd heard so much about how rubbish Unity is that although I had been working with it perfectly well in 11.10 I decided to have a change. So I "installed" (not very well by the looks of it), Gnome 3. All that seems to have happened is that (a) on booting a dark sky-view screen with a sun at the bottom and "Debian" appears for about half a minute on boot, before all changes to normal with the login screen, and (b) the Unity sidebar won't retract when I start an app. Clearly I've done something wrong. Anyone tell me what, please?
And btw, the much-maligned Windows has a fix for this sort of thing. It's called "Windows System restore" and if you mess up your delicate system you can simply rewind it back to a point at which it was working well. Doesn't the much-vaunted Ubuntu have a similar arrangement to help protect us inveterate "fiddlers" from ourselves?
Thanks

bogan
April 4th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Hi!, enkel.

When you get to the Login screen, have you clicked on the gear icon, top-left of the window, and selected 'Gnome' ??

Chao!, bogan.

Enkel
April 4th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks, bogan. However, I guess I was right when I said I'd messed the installation up. There is no option for "Gnome" in the panel at the top of the screen. But the good news is that the Unity bar is retracting now. Which just leaves me with the problem of the space view and "Debian, the universal operating system" apparently slowing down the boot process. Still wish I could undo what I did properly, though, even though I don't know exactly what I installed and didn't. But thanks, anyway.

bogan
April 5th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Hi!, enkel,

You Posted:
There is no option for "Gnome" in the panel at the top of the screen.The option to boot into Gnome or Gnome Classic instead of Unity, is the gear Icon, top-left in the small login window; not the one top-left in the top-bar panel of the screen.

Chao!, bogan.

Enkel
April 5th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Bogan, Thanks! All clear now & I can switch from Gnome to Gnome Classic to Unity at will! Now rather than read just how rubbish Unity is compared to Gnome Classic I can try it for myself. So far I've got used to Unity and it seems to be OK. But Gnome 3 seems no faster than Unity I'm afraid. And it now seems slightly slower to boot up than before Mine's a mid-range computer, 2-core Pentium 4 @2.8 GHz, 2Mb memory and a Geforce 5300 Graphics Processor (512Mb). So nothing to write home about there.

Problem now solved. Thanks a lot!

Lemuriano
April 5th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Perhaps you can try to speed things up with lxde.

thonuz
May 6th, 2012, 06:46 PM
This is still a big problem for me on a Dell xps 15inch so i am posting it here rather than start a thread that might inflame people. I have this problem intermittantly: Unity Sidebar Stays put. But not the same problem. I think unity is defective.

sometimes there is a delay in the sidebar and I have an app stacked under.
I end up clicking open apps I dont want

So My problem is if I go to the stack I see a whole bunch on top and the mouse arrow makes it almost impossible to choose. Other solution is to use key combos...Way way too much work. I lost a form becuase of this sorry if I rant.
I will not use it!Unity looks good but it is a lot of work to use
and if you cant remember the name you should type it? Are you kidding me?

stepheny
May 21st, 2012, 07:28 PM
The auto-hide of the Unity launcher is switched off by default in 12.04. To switch it on go to ‘Control Gear –> System Settings’ then 'Appearance –> Behaviour' and set the auto-hide to on.