PDA

View Full Version : Which version is more stable?

priority
April 4th, 2012, 05:50 PM
hello.

can u tell me which one is stable ?

or
12.04 beta2 ?

raja.genupula
April 4th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Now Ubuntu 10.04 and 11.10 are stable .
Among these two i vote for 11.10 .

priority
April 4th, 2012, 05:58 PM
what about 11.04 and 10.10 ? i wanna use gnome 2 classic look :/

and, what does it mean that previous versions are not supported anymore ? cant i use 10.04 or 11.04 anymore after 12.04 released or laters ?

codemaniac
April 4th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Check out the End of life date for different Ubuntu releases .
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

priority
April 4th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Ubuntu for whom exactly ? can any person use it who doesnt know about programming and linux ? windows is for corporate and personal computer users, mac is for more graphical, so ubuntu for whom ?

raja.genupula
April 4th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Ubuntu for whom exactly ? can any person use it who doesnt know about programming and linux ? windows is for corporate and personal computer users, mac is for more graphical, so ubuntu for whom ?

Hello priority
Tell us what are the requirements of yours ? , Ubuntu we can use for Programming /General use / Server and as the way you want .

its using in corporates also and for personal systems too .
Ubuntu is also graphical . we have more graphical Environments and you can taste that environment on your wish .

So tell us Exactly what you wanna do or your requirements , we will help you in a best way .

sudodus
April 4th, 2012, 06:09 PM
10.04 LTS is supported until April 2013 :KS
10.10 is supported until April 2012 (end of life this very month)
11.04 is supported until October 2012

Gnome 2 will be dropped, because it is no longer developed. You can try gnome 3, but if you don't like it you can always try Linux Mint and Mate (a fork of gnome 2) :KS

And it is a good alternative to try [KLX]ubuntu 11.10 or 12.04 beta :KS
- Kubuntu with KDE (fancy but a heavy foot-print)
- Xubuntu with XFCE (nice with a light foot-print)
- Lubuntu with LXDE (simple with an ultra-light foot-print)

Download the iso files and try them live without installing to the internal HDD

philinux
April 4th, 2012, 06:10 PM
hello.

can u tell me which one is stable ?

or
12.04 beta2 ?

They are all stable apart from the last one as it's still beta.

Although the beta is still pretty good at this stage.

Please read this. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

and if you like classic see this regarding 12.04 http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/gnome-classic-in-ubuntu-12-04-its-like-nothing-ever-changed/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG!+Ubuntu!%29

dino99
April 4th, 2012, 06:11 PM

might be for you :)

used on tablet, laptop, desktop, server, intel, amd, arm, sparc, mips, ....
used by individuals, scientists, schools, universities, RD center, ....

on earth and elsewhere :)

As the coming is a Long Term Support (LTS) it is already stable, and you can choose different fronted : gnome, kde, xfce, lxde, unity, gnome-classic, gnome-shell, ...

so you might find the one that you should like :) no need to know programmation, ubuntu is for humans :)

woxuxow
April 4th, 2012, 06:18 PM
i used 11.04 it was terrible with lots of bugs
and now i`m using 11.10 it`s much better than 11.04 but it some times crashes on my system

priority
April 4th, 2012, 06:20 PM
to be honest, i am bored of windows and i dont like mac. ubuntu is very easy and fast to use with its gnome 2 classic interface. but Unity is making it complicated :S i dont like GNome 3 and Unity.. i am sad because after some years i wont be able to see Gnome 2 classic :/ i tried other linux based operating systems too. Ubuntu is best ever i see now. but UNity making it bad for me..

raja.genupula
April 4th, 2012, 06:26 PM
to be honest, i am bored of windows and i dont like mac. ubuntu is very easy and fast to use with its gnome 2 classic interface. but Unity is making it complicated :S i dont like GNome 3 and Unity.. i am sad because after some years i wont be able to see Gnome 2 classic :/ i tried other linux based operating systems too. Ubuntu is best ever i see now. but UNity making it bad for me..

read this

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/gnome-classic-in-ubuntu-12-04-its-like-nothing-ever-changed/

But we have some other choices for you
Xubuntu and Lubuntu . you must try them . They are light and speedy .

philinux
April 4th, 2012, 06:26 PM

10.04 is good till April 2013.

Plenty may happen in between now and then.

priority
April 4th, 2012, 06:30 PM
read this

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/gnome-classic-in-ubuntu-12-04-its-like-nothing-ever-changed/

But we have some other choices for you
Xubuntu and Lubuntu . you must try them . They are light and speedy .

i like just Ubuntu, not Lubuntu, Xubuntu or whatever..

if i can use that Gnome 2 classic look forever ( bars on top and down - also it would be super if i couldnt customize all desktop ) Ubuntu will be my best operating system ever..

does it work on 11.10 also ? i hope it s how it says.. like never changed.. did anyone tried this ? does it really same as nothing changed ?

sudodus
April 4th, 2012, 06:39 PM

if i can use that Gnome 2 classic look forever ( bars on top and down - also it would be super if i couldnt customize all desktop ) Ubuntu will be my best operating system ever..

does it work on 11.10 also ? i hope it s how it says.. like never changed.. did anyone tried this ? does it really same as nothing changed ?

To get an OS with security updates (and software development updates, you must accept that gnome 2 will be history soon. But you will be able to tweak Xubuntu to look like it with panels where you want, or tweak gnome-shell (gnome 3) to look like that.

raja.genupula
April 4th, 2012, 06:41 PM

you can get gnome classic by installing gnome 3 .

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

then log out , in the login screen at your username you will find a star button , click at that and in the list choose gnome-classic .

then log in .

hope that helps.

priority
April 4th, 2012, 08:16 PM
i just applied on Ubuntu 11.10 and it is not working good..

the panel at top is too wide and indicator icons look big and bad.. also there s no ubuntu logo at top-left.

it is pity :/

raja.genupula
April 4th, 2012, 08:23 PM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/how-to-make-ubuntu-11-10-look-and-feel-like-gnome-2/

SemiExpert
April 4th, 2012, 09:10 PM
you can get gnome classic by installing gnome 3 .

sudo apt-get install gnome-shellthen log out , in the login screen at your username you will find a star button , click at that and in the list choose gnome-classic .

then log in .

hope that helps.

It's not Gnome Classic in the sense that it's still Gnome 3.x, not the Classic Gnome 2.x.

priority
April 4th, 2012, 09:34 PM
It's not Gnome Classic in the sense that it's still Gnome 3.x, not the Classic Gnome 2.x.

yes i did it .. it doesnt taste as Gnome 2 :/ i hate that !!!

isnt there any good way to make it real ???

SemiExpert
April 5th, 2012, 06:35 PM
yes i did it .. it doesnt taste as Gnome 2 :/ i hate that !!!

isnt there any good way to make it real ???

Gnome 2.x has been depracated, and the Mate fork probably isn't going to become mainstream. Cinnamon is bascially a Mint-lead fork of Gnome 3.x. Gnome 2.x went away after 11.04, but even then, I'd been having issues, so maybe it was time for it to go. Since 11.10, I've been using Unity on a daily basis without a single crash. Good stability.

cotcot
April 5th, 2012, 07:21 PM
11.04 was clearly less stable than 11.10. 11.10 is good.
10.04 was also a good one.
I changed from unity to gnome3.
I wait a couple of months after an new upgrade to judge about the stability.

3rdalbum
April 6th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Gnome 2 is obsolete software and will not be maintained in the future.

It's possible to install a behind-the-times distro such as Debian Stable that still has Gnome 2, but this will only buy you time rather than be a long-term solution.

The long-term solution is to accept change. Either give Unity a chance (it really shines in 12.04) or try Gnome Shell, or XFCE, or KDE, or Cinnamon.

People are starting to come around to Unity. It definitely gets better every six months and the new Video lens is surprisingly awesome.

ergo-proxy
April 6th, 2012, 09:16 AM

and, what does it mean that previous versions are not supported anymore ? cant i use 10.04 or 11.04 anymore after 12.04 released or laters ?

Check for gnome classic mode in 12.04 ;)