PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything that must be done using CD rather than using pen drive?

arroy_0209
April 4th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Do you know of any particular task which must be done using CDs rather than pendrives? What about installing OS like ubuntu? can it be done using pen-drive rather than running a CD?

I am asking because I may purchase laptop and those without CD-R/W facility are cheaper so I need to confirm first if CDs are really indispensable. Thanks.

winh8r
April 4th, 2012, 05:55 PM
This page explains the process, it is essentially the same as using a CD, but obviously there is a little more preparation involved.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

Dragonbite
April 4th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Do you know of any particular task which must be done using CDs rather than pendrives?

Play Frisbee?
Use it as a Coaster?
"Deadly Ninja Throwing CD"?
Make-shift Mirror?
:lolflag:

keithpeter
April 4th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Hello All

I lugged a huge laptop around for work reasons up until 18 months ago.

Me and my back are a lot happier with a little netbook. You just need to find a friend with a USB CD burner in case...

forrestcupp
April 4th, 2012, 09:06 PM
If you plan on using Windows and buying boxed software, then you need a CD/DVD drive. If not, you probably don't need one for anything at all.

philinux
April 4th, 2012, 09:10 PM
If you plan on using Windows and buying boxed software, then you need a CD/DVD drive. If not, you probably don't need one for anything at all.

That's a good point, how dp people using windows get on with a netbook with no optical drive. Download I guess.

forrestcupp
April 4th, 2012, 09:15 PM
That's a good point, how dp people using windows get on with a netbook with no optical drive. Download I guess.

That plus I've seen people have to perform other workarounds, like buying a USB DVD drive or copying the files to a USB stick from another computer.

jonathonblake
April 4th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Do you know of any particular task which must be done using CDs rather than pendrives?

If you archive your data, a CD or DVD is more permanent. However, an external USB CD/DVD burner should work as well as one that is built in.

I you already have a desktop with a CD/DVD burner and drive, and the netbook is purely for portable computing, then skip the DVD burner on the netbook. You can either buy a USB burner, and backup your data that way, or ftp the data to the desktop system, and backup from their to CD/DVD.

On second thoughts, a solid NAS will solve the archive issue. The downside is their cost. (US$10K for something that you won't outgrow within two years, if you assemble it yourself.)

jonathon

Bandit
April 5th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Is there anything that must be done using CD rather than using pen drive?

http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2003/0309/2003-sept-07/coaster.jpg

Dragonbite
April 5th, 2012, 02:11 PM
http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2003/0309/2003-sept-07/coaster.jpg

At a friend's house he had a pile of AOL CDs he used as coasters.

I don't think there is a big need for CDs anymore. I haven't had to pull out the (usb, external) CD drive on my D400 laptop in a long time.

The only use I have for it lately has been for my son to play with his Lego robotics something-or-other (not Mindstorm). I haven't tried putting it on a USB stick, though.

forrestcupp
April 5th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Other than reinstalling MS Office, the only thing I've recently used my DVD drive for was to rip all of my DVD movies to my external hard drive. I need to get an external Blu-ray drive to start ripping my Blu-rays.