PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] random crashes after update (

AlmaTlust
April 4th, 2012, 04:10 PM
After performing an update I get weird random crashes in different DEs (KDE, XFCE). programs crash (both kde and gnome ones, although the latter ones seem to be a bit more "long-lasting"), plasma crashes, sometimes at login it tells me some weird message about consolekit not being able to connect to somewhere etc.

I tried to use muons history to see what packages have been updated, but it shows rubbish stuff, even updates of programs I haven't installed at all. One of the updates was a new kernel version (3.0.0-18 from proposed repository), and others were packages of xorg-edgers ppa (I have an intel card and the standard intel drivers shipped with ubuntu caused loads of problems).

Any clues anyone? I'd appreciate any hints.

==============
Update: the reason seems to be the kernel update. The problems don't appear with kernel 3.0.0-17.

crackers8199
April 6th, 2012, 12:47 AM
i too am seeing random nonsensical crashes since the update. haven't tried rolling back to the older kernel yet, i'll give that a shot.

crackers8199
April 6th, 2012, 01:13 AM
seems there's something drastically wrong with the .18 kernel. roll back to .17 has solved my issues as well...