PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading MonoDevelop IDE

hpng
April 4th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I now have monoDevelop version 2.4on Ubuntu 11.04. I went to Ubuntu Software Center and Synaptic Package manager, and I do not see a way for me to update monoDevelop from 2.4 to 2.8 ( the latest version). How do I go about getting Ubuntu to automatically update a new version of Mono Develop from here: http://monodevelop.com/Download If I remove current monoDevvelop version 2.4, then how do I setup Ubuntu Software Center or Synaptic package manager to dowload MonoDevelop? thanks.

directhex
April 5th, 2012, 02:09 AM
I now have monoDevelop version 2.4on Ubuntu 11.04. I went to Ubuntu Software Center and Synaptic Package manager, and I do not see a way for me to update monoDevelop from 2.4 to 2.8 ( the latest version). How do I go about getting Ubuntu to automatically update a new version of Mono Develop from here: http://monodevelop.com/Download If I remove current monoDevvelop version 2.4, then how do I setup Ubuntu Software Center or Synaptic package manager to dowload MonoDevelop? thanks.

With difficulty. MonoDevelop 2.6+ requires .NET 4.0 support (Mono 2.8+) which is not available on Ubuntu 11.04.

I'd suggest upgrading or downgrading your distro. 2.8 is part of Ubuntu 12.04, and I produce backports for Ubuntu 10.04.

hpng
April 5th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Dear Directhex:

With difficulty. MonoDevelop 2.6+ requires .NET 4.0 support (Mono 2.8+) which is not available on Ubuntu 11.04.

I'd suggest upgrading or downgrading your distro. 2.8 is part of Ubuntu 12.04, and I produce backports for Ubuntu 10.04.

thanks for reply.
Now I am new to Linux, just a user but not heavy into Linux OS or development.
So this is my first try.

I am not sure what the above means. Here is my situation. I am using Visual studio 2010 to do some C# coding . My Ubuntu is 11.04. I set my target framework to .NET 3.5 since my monoDevelop IDE has runtime version mono / 3.5 .NET support from the built options window.

So I copy entire Winform project created in Visual Studio into Ubuntu 11.04.
I was able to built and run the application, BUT I also got a RED higlighted node inside Reference node like this:
MyFirstProject->Reference->System.Deployment -> Assembly Not Available for Mono / .NET 3.5 ( in mono 2.6.7 ).

However, I was able to run the application, and so far it works. :p
So why do I have System.Deployment Assembly Not Available warning?

About this:

"With difficulty. MonoDevelop 2.6+ requires .NET 4.0 support (Mono 2.8+) which is not available on Ubuntu 11.04"

Knowing my situation: usinng Visual Studio 2010 and then mving the projects to MonoDevelop.......
is it better that I upgrade to MonoDevelop 2.6+........ i.e Ubuntu 12.04?
My current MonoDevelop IDE version is 2.4 on Ubuntu 11.04.
If so, is there a way to upgrade from 11.04 straight to 12.04?
It seems the Ubuntu upgrade manager only do one upgrade stage at at time, so I will have to do several upgrade, a very long time before I get to Ubuntu 12.04.

"I'd suggest upgrading or downgrading your distro. 2.8 is part of Ubuntu 12.04, and I produce backports for Ubuntu 10.04"

Please explain what backports means?

Thanks for all the help....

directhex
April 5th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Dear Directhex:

thanks for reply.
Now I am new to Linux, just a user but not heavy into Linux OS or development.
So this is my first try.

I am not sure what the above means. Here is my situation. I am using Visual studio 2010 to do some C# coding . My Ubuntu is 11.04. I set my target framework to .NET 3.5 since my monoDevelop IDE has runtime version mono / 3.5 .NET support from the built options window.

So I copy entire Winform project created in Visual Studio into Ubuntu 11.04.
I was able to built and run the application, BUT I also got a RED higlighted node inside Reference node like this:
MyFirstProject->Reference->System.Deployment -> Assembly Not Available for Mono / .NET 3.5 ( in mono 2.6.7 ).

However, I was able to run the application, and so far it works. :p
So why do I have System.Deployment Assembly Not Available warning?

System.Deployment is not implemented in Mono, and is not available.

About this:

"With difficulty. MonoDevelop 2.6+ requires .NET 4.0 support (Mono 2.8+) which is not available on Ubuntu 11.04"

Knowing my situation: usinng Visual Studio 2010 and then mving the projects to MonoDevelop.......
is it better that I upgrade to MonoDevelop 2.6+........ i.e Ubuntu 12.04?

If you intend to target .NET 4.0, you need Mono 2.8+, so need Ubuntu 11.10 or above.

My current MonoDevelop IDE version is 2.4 on Ubuntu 11.04.
If so, is there a way to upgrade from 11.04 straight to 12.04?
It seems the Ubuntu upgrade manager only do one upgrade stage at at time, so I will have to do several upgrade, a very long time before I get to Ubuntu 12.04.

That upgrade path is not tested. The only tested paths are "regular release" upgrades e.g. 11.04->11.10, and "LTS upgrades" e.g. 10.04->12.04. No testing is done on other jumps - it may work, it may not.

"I'd suggest upgrading or downgrading your distro. 2.8 is part of Ubuntu 12.04, and I produce backports for Ubuntu 10.04"

Please explain what backports means?

Thanks for all the help....

Linux distributions release with specific, tested versions of all the software in the repositories - in this case, Mono 2.6.7 and MonoDevelop 2.4. Occasionally, newer versions of software can be taken from newer versions of a distribution, and be made available in an older distribution - i.e. ported backwards from a newer distribution. Hence "backported"