PDA

View Full Version : IDE to USB hard drive cases and OS support?

sdowney717
April 4th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I was looking for something cheap on Ebay and found this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320816073992#ht_3460wt_915

I emailed the seller cause need to know if will work with a USA 120 volt plug and if has windows 7 support.
I assume this has Linux support?

If you look at similar items from others, seller will say will provide power plug depending on your location, so it makes me think a standard PC power cord will work.
Anyone know?

haqking
April 4th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I was looking for something cheap on Ebay and found this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320816073992#ht_3460wt_915

I emailed the seller cause need to know if will work with a USA 120 volt plug and if has windows 7 support.
I assume this has Linux support?

If you look at similar items from others, seller will say will provide power plug depending on your location, so it makes me think a standard PC power cord will work.
Anyone know?

yes it will work in USA. (probably need a plug adaptor to fit socket)

and its only a case, Linux supports USB devices ;-)

Peace

forrestcupp
April 4th, 2012, 09:12 PM
You do realize that it's a case to convert an internal hard drive to an external one, and you have to have a 3.5 inch internal drive to put in it, don't you? You can get those just as cheaply at Best Buy, so there's really no need to order one from out of the country.

And they do work with Linux. I've used one before.

sdowney717
April 4th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I got an IDE 320gb ready to go.
Seeing the power plug on the adapter is identical, I am hoping it will work.

And they dont overtly say it will work with windows 7. Any ideas?

I have occasionally wished to move big files down to the theatre win 7 PC from my ubuntu box. Networking just could not get it to work even though both are on my home wired ethernet.

Emailed the seller these questions but gotten no response yet.

doorknob60
April 5th, 2012, 12:27 AM
It should just work as a standard UMS storage device like any normal Flash drive, so it will work on any modern OS including Linux and Windows 7.

jmore9
April 5th, 2012, 12:32 AM
i use a 160 ( i think it is ) gig in an external usb case to transfer files from my non connected machines. I just plug it in and it is seen for what it is , an NTFS formated drive. I used linux and winxp pro, no problems with either. i have also used it on computers away from home to save my data with no problems.

forrestcupp
April 5th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Unless you have already paid for it, you just need to go buy one at Best Buy. They have them already in stock with the correct power cord, and they're not any more expensive than the one you posted. Also, it would be a lot easier to take it back if you need to.

I've used these in Windows and Linux. They all work the same. There's not much chance it won't work in Linux. But seriously, just go to a store and buy one.

stalkingwolf
April 5th, 2012, 04:00 PM
i have cases for both laptop drives and desktop drives they both work well with everything ive used them for. If it is going to be a fairly permanent
set up.

I have several drives that i use for different things so i have been using this type of adapter recently with the same results.http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-HD-HDD-Adapter-Cable-/270790529353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0c5f9149

sdowney717
April 13th, 2012, 01:41 PM
ended up getting a Dynex PATA EIDE which works up to 750gb for about 11$ including the shipping.

Price was great and did not have to worry about compatability.
So far it has been working fine.