PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Which is better Desktop Environment?

Ravi5kumar
April 4th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Hi, I know this is a silly question to ask but I have many question and confusion relating to the upcoming release of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
I am using Ubuntu since version 10.10. I tried Ubuntu 11.04 and Ubuntu 11.10 but reverted back to Ubuntu 10.10 as the Ubuntu 10.10 is better than 11.04 and 11.10(I think so:p). The main confusion is that I doesn't like unity because it is not productive like that of earlier Gnome 2. The new Gnome 3 is visually looks better but it is also not much productive and I have very annoying issue with it. So what should I choose beside Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with unity (I mean kubuntu,Xubuntu or Lubuntu)? How about KDE and XFCE:confused:? I never tried them but I heard that they are highly customizable. Also can I run Gnome apps on Kubuntu or Xubuntu? BTW do not suggest Linux mint as I hate it:lolflag:!

I am giving my system configuration: (may this help you:KS)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.20 GHz(Overclocked to 2.6 GHz)
4 GB RAM
320 GB hard disk with Windows 7 installed
1 GB nVidia GT 240 M

mike555
April 4th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I use Xubuntu and like it, it will run gnome apps but you don't really need to change the default apps much, I installed "gedit" and "gnome-system-moniter" but other than that everything Xubuntu has is good.
btw- don't install Nautilus on Xubuntu , it will mess things up. use the default Thunar file manager .

malspa
April 4th, 2012, 01:45 PM
btw- don't install Nautilus on Xubuntu , it will mess things up. use the default Thunar file manager .

To avoid problems when running Nautilus in other environments, I use the --no-desktop switch:

nautilus --no-desktop

3Miro
April 4th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Install all of them, Unity, Gnome-shell, KDE, XFCE, LXDE. Then try them all and find the one that YOU like. We can tell you what we like or dislike, but this will probably be different from what you may or may not like.

na5h
April 4th, 2012, 02:48 PM
It's impossible to say which one is the "better" desktop environment, it's a matter of personal preference really. I suggest you try both and decide for yourself...or check out some videos/reviews/screenshots.

Edit: I have understood that 12.04 will be quite easy to set up with the "classic" Gnome 2-look...perhaps someone can give a little more intel about that?

squilookle
April 4th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Looks like any of the desktops should run nicely on your hardware. Personally, I prefer KDE at the moment. KDE 4.8 has so far been a very stable release for me, it does everything I need it to and is very customizable and generally pleasant to work with.

However, it's a very personal thing. I would recommend trying the Kubuntu and Xubuntu Live CDs for an hour or two each and see what you think. Then, if you are still interested in either (or both), install them and try to live with them for about a week or so. You'll then be in a position to pick your favourite.

And you owe your loyalty to none of them, so theres no reason you can't change later if it suits you to do so. :)

ccrs8
April 4th, 2012, 04:27 PM
It's so easy to install them all and toggle back and forth, just selecting which environment to use at the login screen. So just test them all out - your PC can handle it.

My personal experience is that it took me about 2 hours to configure Xubuntu 11.10 to look and work just like Ubuntu 11.04 classic Gnome.

SAKeeler
April 4th, 2012, 05:09 PM
It comes down to preference. I really like "awesome" and "openbox", used
Gnome 2 for years, dabbled with KDE dating back to when QT was still closed
source, and now I'm getting along smashingly with Unity. I really don't
get why peaple don't like it to tell the truth. But, what works for me may
not for you, so try a couple different one's, see which is best for you,
then purge the ones you don't like.

Perfect Storm
April 4th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Classic Gnome in 12.04?
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/gnome-classic-in-ubuntu-12-04-its-like-nothing-ever-changed/

markbl
April 4th, 2012, 11:50 PM
The new Gnome 3 is visually looks better but it is also not much productive and I have very annoying issue with it.
I think gnome-shell (gnome 3) is the best linux desktop. What is your issue with it?

hughr2005
April 4th, 2012, 11:53 PM
The best desktop environment? for me, command line! :P

jimmydean886-2
April 5th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I think gnome-shell (gnome 3) is the best linux desktop. What is your issue with it?

I don't know about Ravi5kumar, but I find that it draws away from workflow by making you use the activities screen for everything unless you go waaaay out of your way for an extension. I agree with most everyone here, it is really a matter of personal preference.

Myself? Despite what I said above, I use G.N.O.M.E. shell from time to time just to test the waters, see how it has changed. (I love that kind of thing), but mainly use Xfce, KDE, and Unity.

What is wrong with other environments?

Well, nothing. I just don't like Openbox, and don't want to mess around to get a settings manager for LXDE, I find that ICEWM's main menu and lack of desktop are just bad, WindowMaker never installed right on my machine, and KDE Unity XFCE and G.N.O.M.E. run smoothest and best with my work flow, even though G.N.O.M.E. pushes the limit of my patience very often.

I know someone who is adiment that KDE is the way to go, and another who thinks Unity in 12.04 and 11.10 are just boss.

If someone says that one is "better" than another per se, they are quite wrong. Try them all, then you should have a better idea.

(actually, my environment changes with my mood, so don't you think you should be stuck with one.)

jimmydean886-2
April 5th, 2012, 12:20 AM

See? All opinion.

And yes, the BSD/Linux command line rocks like nothing else! (least crashes!!!)

jmore9
April 5th, 2012, 12:25 AM
I do not like the unity on ubuntu 11.10 it is a oain in the neck to get anything done quickly on a desktop imo. So i just switched to kbuntu. Works alot better for me. It was easy to install ontop os ubuntu and if i screw up kbuntu i always can log into ubuntu and fix kbuntu.

jerrrys
April 5th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Install all of them, Unity, Gnome-shell, KDE, XFCE, LXDE. Then try them all and find the one that YOU like. We can tell you what we like or dislike, but this will probably be different from what you may or may not like.

It's so easy to install them all and toggle back and forth, just selecting which environment to use at the login screen. So just test them all out - your PC can handle it.

got my vote :)

markbl
April 5th, 2012, 12:35 AM
I don't know about Ravi5kumar, but I find that it draws away from workflow by making you use the activities screen for everything unless you go waaaay out of your way for an extension.
But what is the problem with that? You are working in a window. Then you press the meta key (or use the mouse/screen hotspot) to select another window or app from the composited overview, then continue working. Fast, easy, and clean. Gnome-shell is so simple and effective that it is beautiful. The only people who install extensions to change this are people who want to recreate their old gnome2 desktop because they are resistant to any change. I am probably a linux power-user but recommend gnome-shell also for newbies and oldies.

You can use Alt+tab and/or Alt+<key above tab> to quick switch anyhow, just like in Unity or Mac OS X.

Dugachug
April 5th, 2012, 03:12 AM
I have good news for you, install gnome-panel from the software center. It looks exactly like GNOME 2 and u can edit the panels exactly the same way as in GNOME 2, but to be able to edit the panels you have to hold Super+Alt then right click(super is the windows key). Feels the same as classic ubuntu except it's using modern gnome 3 technologies. Only noticeable difference is you gotta theme it with gtk3 themes instead of gtk2.

i've grown to like GNOME 3/Unity. just had to let the change sink in.

jimmydean886-2
April 5th, 2012, 01:32 PM
But what is the problem with that? You are working in a window. Then you press the meta key (or use the mouse/screen hotspot) to select another window or app from the composited overview, then continue working. Fast, easy, and clean. Gnome-shell is so simple and effective that it is beautiful. The only people who install extensions to change this are people who want to recreate their old gnome2 desktop because they are resistant to any change. I am probably a linux power-user but recommend gnome-shell also for newbies and oldies.

You can use Alt+tab and/or Alt+<key above tab> to quick switch anyhow, just like in Unity or Mac OS X.

My point is that when you want to find a window in 20 open apps, it is near impossible. Keeping things organized YOUR way is tough with G3S. Yes, there's the overview bar, but that makes icons ridiculously small and hard to see in cases like that.

Yes, there are workspaces, but they only go vertically. You cannot switch from one to another instantly because they're in a grid. There's no way to change that.

Also, G3S 3.4 has no titlebar on some maximized windows. That drives me up the wall and back down the other side.

Ravi5kumar
April 5th, 2012, 02:06 PM
It's impossible to say which one is the "better" desktop environment, it's a matter of personal preference really.Yea! you are right but I am just asking for others advice about various DE:p.

It's so easy to install them all and toggle back and forth, just selecting which environment to use at the login screen. So just test them all out - your PC can handle it.Wouldn't installing all environment will screw the system:confused:.......

I have no major issue with it beside some minor graphic glitches and some crash. But I am a Gnome 2 fan and I really don't like Gnome 3. The main thing is that I want a desktop which is easily configurable and more productive. I want to switch between applications not windows like that of GNOME 3.

The best desktop environment? for me, command line!
Yes command line is better! It is a strong tool to done your work faster and easier but what about who are not familiar to command line:lolflag:? So for a "normal" user GUI is best!

My point is that when you want to find a window in 20 open apps, it is near impossible. Keeping things organized YOUR way is tough with G3S. Yes, there's the overview bar, but that makes icons ridiculously small and hard to see in cases like that.

Yes, there are workspaces, but they only go vertically. You cannot switch from one to another instantly because they're in a grid. There's no way to change that.

Also, G3S 3.4 has no titlebar on some maximized windows. That drives me up the wall and back down the other side.
+1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After digging some popular websites seeing reviews and screenshot and some video's of all Ubuntu variants, finally I decided to switch to kubuntu or Xubuntu as both provide all the thing that I want. Thanks all guys for replying!

ccrs8
April 5th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Wouldn't installing all environment will screw the system:confused:.......

Nope, not at all. The DE is just another program installed on your computer. Your Display Manager (the program where you log in and start a session) gives you the option to log in using any of the installed DEs. If you install Kubuntu, it comes with KDE installed, but you can easily go in to aptitude and install ubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop to get GNOME or XFCE. Then your display manager will list those two options as well at login. Everything else remains the same. For instance, if when logged in to a KDE session you put a file on your desktop, when you log in to a XFCE session, that same file will be there. Only the DE-specific settings will be different.

Lemuriano
April 5th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I try all of them and finally settle on xfce4 and liked so much that decided to install Xubuntu and not looking back. Just try them all, this is the beauty of gnu/linux, is your choice. The best would be the one that you feel more comfortable with.

Lemuriano
April 5th, 2012, 07:15 PM

No argument there!

3Miro
April 5th, 2012, 08:01 PM
There is absolutely no issue with having multiple DE installed on one system. I currently have two on my laptop and I change depending on whether I want to use it as a desktop connected to an external monitor or on my lap (xfce + unity).

Use more than one environment if you want.

Since the tile "best" is so subjective, this can really quickly deteriorate into a troll war. I use XFCE because it can do everything that I need, I can adjust it so that everything is a click away (minimum mouse movement) and it is very snappy. I don't like how KDE uses more resources. I don't like the way LXDE looks (which is the most subjective thing of all) and I find LXDE somewhat unstable. I don't like how Gnome-shell makes it hard to access things with the mouse (extensions help, but only to an extend). I don't like some aspects of Unity, like the habit of constantly starting windows in full screen.

dontquoteme
April 5th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Using Cinnamon on Ubuntu 11.10.

Awesome. ;p Love the feel of it's menu system.

Here's the "How to"

Install Linux Mint's New Cinnamon desktop
http://www.howtogeek.com/103691/install-linux-mints-new-cinnamon-desktop-on-ubuntu/

markbl
April 6th, 2012, 12:35 AM
This doesn't make sense. If you have 20 apps open (with probably mutliple windows for some apps) then it is going to be hard to find windows no matter what DE you are using. Surely having them spread out in the gnome shell overview across all screens (and note that Unity only shows the meta+w view in ONE screen) is the best you can do because you are using the full screen real-estate for the composite view. Or just use alt-tab/backtick which works the same in GS, Unity, and Mac OS. So GS offers the *easiest* way to pick windows when many apps are open.

What? Unity uses a grid, GS organises desktops vertically. Unity forces the user to "remember" that he has to step left or right OR up or down as he navigates through desktops. Why should the user have to think about this? The GS approach is simpler but again it more sensible. You just press ctrl+alt+down/up and stop on the desktop you want. With Unity (and gnome2 for that matter) you have to manually change between ctrl+alt+down/up AND ctrl+alt+left/right as you step between desktops. It is a thought process which should not be demanded on the user. And who ever uses more than 2 or 3 desktops anyhow? The multi-desktop management integrated in the gnome-shell overview is brilliant, much better than the old grid system used in Gnome2 and Unity. Everything is integrated in the GS overview - simple and smart.

andrew.46
April 6th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Bear in mind that you can do without a Desktop Environment and simply run a window manager such as Fluxbox. I do this myself on quite high-powered hardware and it is very nice not to have a Desktop Environment getting in your way :). Bodhi.zazen gives some tips here:

A 5 minute guide to Fluxbox
http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/a-5-minute-guide-to-fluxbox/

Spr0k3t
April 6th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Been playing with a pure-gnome type of environment and tweaking the living daylights out of it using extensions. The only thing I'm missing right now is a places menu put in the correct spot on the left side of the top bar. That extension is coming along, but there are still some bugs in it.

If you get a chance to test Gnome-Shell again, check out the Frippery extensions. It brings the desktop closer to the classic desktop of gnome2.

Ravi5kumar
April 6th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Using Cinnamon on Ubuntu 11.10.

Awesome. ;p Love the feel of it's menu system.

Here's the "How to"

Install Linux Mint's New Cinnamon desktop
http://www.howtogeek.com/103691/install-linux-mints-new-cinnamon-desktop-on-ubuntu/

Will try that! Thanks:p.....

raysa
April 9th, 2012, 03:06 PM
This is all very interesting, but a bit confusing to a non-techie who just wants to explore alternatives to find what suits him best.

Is there a simple guide listing the DEs available, outlining what their main characteristics are, and (most importantly) how to instal them and make any essential adjustments (like the nautilus warning earlier in this thread)?

jerrrys
April 9th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Gnome Classic

Gnome Shell

Unity

Kde

Xubuntu

Lubuntu

Not necessarily in that order, but all can be placed in one copy of Ubuntu and tried out.

A way to search these things. (http://www.googlubuntu.com/)

3Miro
April 10th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Unity is the default for Ubuntu and it sits on top of Gnome 3. On other distributions, Gnome 3 comes with Gnome-shell. Gnome-classic (or Gnome-fallback) is mainly for people with low graphics, although many other people are using it too. The difference between those is the interface, panels, menus, how to access applications etc (there are also some under-the-hood differences). Also, Unity is way ahead in visual effects (3D cube, woby windows etc), with Gnome-shell having some and the fallback one has at most basic transparency.

KDE is another fully features environment. It has more of a classic panel+menu interface (like windows), but it is by far the most easily customizable environment. KDE is also the only DE that can currently compete with Unity for visual effects.

XFCE and LXDE are more light-oriented. XFCE has almost all features of KDE, but it is much lighter. I am using XFCE and I really don't miss anything (and I have a powerful machine).

LXDE is an even lighter DE, but it is very new and is still lacking some features. In my experience, it also tends to be somewhat less stable (especially their file manager). But don't get me wrong, it IS lightning fast.

Herpythebrony
April 10th, 2012, 04:40 AM
If you like the look and feel of Gnome 2 then Xubuntu with xfce is your best bet. Though I use Lubuntu 11:10.