PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems installing Ubuntu 11.10 server on a HP Workstation xw9300

urash
April 4th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Hi,
I was trying to install Ubuntu 11.10 on a HP Workstation xw9300 with SCSI drives when ubuntu said that it doesn't see any drives and to specify him the drivers manually. Which drivers should I choose there (since the drives are ok - there was a previous windows install)?
Thank you in advance

LE: I've tried also with the desktop live cd both x86 and x64 versions. In this case the installer simply freezes after I press Try ubuntu or it doesn't see the drives if i want to install it.

urash
April 5th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Hi,
After some more tries still haven't figured a way to install ubuntu (or any other recent linux distribution) on this machine. Managed to get a gentoo live running on him but apparently i can't seem to find which driver to use to make a more permanent install work (compiled the gentoo kernel with all the drivers but still haven't figured a way to make it see the harddrives ) though I managed to figure out that i need the drivers for the Symbios 53c1030 model. Apparently Ubuntu hasn't had support for scsi since 8.04. Any easy way to fix this mess I'm in?