PDA

View Full Version : Quality 3rd Party Software for Linux

rhardie
April 4th, 2012, 06:32 AM
This thread is for anyone to share information about good, high quality 3rd party software that will run on Linux. You decide if it's high quality. (Maybe someone with Influence in the community would want to create a sticky to replace this thread if it is found to be useful.)

I like free open source but I use 3rd party if I can't find what I need in the open source community (that does what "I" need the way I need it done).

Everyone has different technical abilities from no skills to technical genius/guru (that's not me) and we all have varying needs and desires for using Linux and the various software that runs on it. Most everyone cheers Ubuntu on to becoming mainstream; however, ultimately, it being 'mainstream' means paid, 3rd party and maybe even closed source software is what people choose.

The vision for this thread is that a person who knows of a good a 3rd party application that works well and has decent support would post the name of the software, what it does and why (s)he likes it.

In theory, developers and software companies will develop useful applications if they perceive that there is a demand on a Linux platform, thereby helping Linux - and Ubuntu specifically - to become more widely accepted.

It is my hope that the postings here are pleasant and helpful.

Kind regards,
rhardie

P.S. Thank you Lisati for moving this to "The Community Cafe" after this was posted. I wasn't sure how to post this but I see someone more knowledgeable than I was able to help out. Thanks. :-)

lisati
April 4th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

rhardie
April 4th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Professional level photographic editing and workflow management software.

Corel Aftershot Pro is formerly Bibble Pro 5 from Bibble Labs.

Developed with QT, Aftershoot Pro runs on all platforms and is incredibly fast on multi-core processors as it was developed originally by a video game programmer who understood the need for speed and efficiency.

I've seen videos of benchmark tests (when it was Bibble Pro) done on 8 core AMD processors showing the product to be "up to" 88 times faster than the closest name brand competitor.

I've used the Bibble software for over two years and I've been very pleased with the user interface, workflow management and file management.

The price is very reasonable and a free trial is available at http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4670071&cid=catalog20038&segid=6000006

Look for the Linux penguin on the box.

rhardie
April 4th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Flash cards for learning and remembering.

This would be really great for KIDS and college students.

I use Anki to learn Chinese characters; however, it can be used to learn periodic tables, math, geography.

Anki is a FREE fully functional (there's a donate button available that will open up some non-essential, but nice, enhancements) cross platform memorization enhancement application that runs on a desktop and web browser and can be downloaded from the Android market as well. http://ankisrs.net/index.html (Notice the UBUNTU LOGO on their web site)

The software uses the concept of spaced repetition (part of rote memorization) by means of an algorithm that knows your progress in remembering. As you remember the subject the time between reintroduction of the flash card becomes longer and longer ranging from 1 day to 3.5 years.

The user interface is pretty simple to use and there are lots and lots of pre-made flash cards for you to download for FREE and begin using now. (I downloaded 8MB of 5,000 Chinese characters from one pre-made deck from an open source dictionary)

You can create your own flash cards and there are YouTube videos that can show you how.