PDA

View Full Version : What is the best IDE on ubuntu?

roffisserver
April 4th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I am planning on doing a big programming project and I want to know what is the best IDE!

ecnahc515
April 4th, 2012, 04:25 AM
It depends on what your programming in. But I suggest you learn how to use vim, simply because vim is simple and its available on every linux distro.

roffisserver
April 4th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Thanks I think I will try it!

CynicRus
April 4th, 2012, 07:29 AM
i use emacs + glade for C, QTCreator for C++. For python and other - emacs.

roffisserver
April 4th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I am interested in programming in C#.

codemaniac
April 4th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Depends on the type of project you are in .Personally i use vim for almost everything .Still you can find eclipse useful with ample of plugins available .

roffisserver
April 5th, 2012, 02:54 AM
I download vim. It works really well!

stchman
April 5th, 2012, 03:23 AM
It depends on what your programming in. But I suggest you learn how to use vim, simply because vim is simple and its available on every linux distro.

Huh, vim, this isn't 1981.

stchman
April 5th, 2012, 03:32 AM
I am interested in programming in C#.

Monodevelop is in the repos if you want to do C#.

QIII
April 5th, 2012, 03:53 AM

Or circa 1977!! Those were the days!

:p

There is a bit of "retro is better" snobbery that I find charming at times. A bit of chest-thumping "I can do it the old way, nya nya nya!"

As for me, a guy who makes a living developing software, an actual, fully functional IDE is the only way I can keep up with the fast pace my clients demand.

I can do it the old way, too. But I make more money doing it the way I do -- like other professional developers.

Simian Man
April 6th, 2012, 12:58 AM

vim wasn't created until 1991, and current development continues to this day. It has its roots in vi which is older, but that doesn't mean it isn't modern.

Linux was also started in 1991 and is actively developed. It also has roots in older projects (Minix/Unix) - that doesn't make it archaic either.

I use vim for nearly everything. I don't presume to say it will work best for anyone else, but don't knock it just for being around awhile. There's a reason so many people love it :).

alexfish
April 6th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Don't Know what your really looking for in relation to your large project

Large projects can involve using different Languages to achieve the results

is it terminal based or does the project require a gui

how you going to bolt the bit's together ?

What are your programming skills ?

But here is an interesting one to look at "Bacon" Basic to c , but don't under estimate the word Basic with this one.

http://www.basic-converter.org/

some of what it can do

you can use the Basic dialect + c within

example:

USEC
<body>
ENDUSEC | END USEC
Type: statement
Defines a body with C code. This code is passed unmodified to the C compiler. Example:

USEC
char *str;
str = strdup("Hello");
printf("%s\n", str);
END USECimport gtk (lib.so), it also has an upper layer called hug (abstact layer to gtk)
the hug also has its own language (layer) to the gtk IE, methods of setting and updating widgets

import other .so

make you own lib.so's

import your own .so's

if a beginner or not , worth looking at

can only comment.. there is no one best ide , it depends on what you want to achieve > experiment with all that is suggested.

if installed .deb .. then complete the install whilst connect to the Internet
from the terminal

baconguithis will get the gui up and running

ADDED:

just done a quick test on debian arm "qemu" the bash version works..

could be a real zinger for the arm platform

alexfish

fallenshadow
April 6th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I would have recommended Geany but since you mentioned you will be doing C# then I guess MonoDevelop would be good.

stchman
April 6th, 2012, 06:11 PM
vim wasn't created until 1991, and current development continues to this day. It has its roots in vi which is older, but that doesn't mean it isn't modern.

Linux was also started in 1991 and is actively developed. It also has roots in older projects (Minix/Unix) - that doesn't make it archaic either.

I use vim for nearly everything. I don't presume to say it will work best for anyone else, but don't knock it just for being around awhile. There's a reason so many people love it :).

vi, vim, elvis, whatever, vi and its users are very cult like.