PDA

View Full Version : Windows Action Show

sffvba[e0rt
April 3rd, 2012, 10:44 PM
The Windows Action Show finally takes a look at Windows 8 Consumer Preview. A must watch for any Windows fans.

Windows Action Show (http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/18491/windows-8-preview-was-s21e03/)

smellyman
April 3rd, 2012, 11:44 PM
It was quite funny.....

papibe
April 3rd, 2012, 11:46 PM
I love those guys! :)

Jupiter Broadcasting and LAS FTW !!

Version Dependency
April 3rd, 2012, 11:51 PM
"Botnets! Another thing that runs on Windows that doesn't run on those alternative operating systems!"

LOL.

Bölvağur
April 4th, 2012, 01:35 AM
I thought it was very funny. But it was strange how badly w8 ran.

sffvba[e0rt
April 4th, 2012, 01:40 AM
I thought it was very funny. But it was strange how badly w8 ran.

Agreed. When I tested it after the initial release it ran well. After the show I re-installed it in Virtual Box and I can confirm that Solitaire didn't want to work for me either :p (I am suspecting the virtual machine for the issues).

wojox
April 4th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Those two get weirder every week. :lolflag:

Copper Bezel
April 4th, 2012, 02:11 AM
I've never watched these guys, but I was sold on the concept here, and that was a damned good bit of satire, even if it was horribly unfair in some aspects. Very fun. I'm going to have to check out some of their other stuff.

Bandit
April 4th, 2012, 03:13 AM
LOL I am glad they like Windows 8. But for those of us who use windows for work, its a bust.. It cant keep multiple items loaded up on the screen at any given time, so if you have Firefox, excel, quickbooks, Mastercam and file browser all open like I do. Your screwed buddy.. LOL :lolflag:

BrokenKingpin
April 4th, 2012, 05:02 AM
They have been hinting at doing something like this for years. I am glad they finally did it... very funny.

Copper Bezel
April 4th, 2012, 05:02 AM
LOL I am glad they like Windows 8. But for those of us who use windows for work, its a bust.. It cant keep multiple items loaded up on the screen at any given time, so if you have Firefox, excel, quickbooks, Mastercam and file browser all open like I do. Your screwed buddy.. LOL

Well, you can have two windows open at a time. I guess for your case, you'd just need three monitors. = ) But since Firefox and the file browser will only work within the desktop app, anyway, it's probably a moot point.

Gone fishing
April 4th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Made me laugh - I was surprised how bad Windows 8 ran and was to use, and folk complain about Unity.

I wonder if Windows users will look back with fondness to Vista?

BigSilly
April 4th, 2012, 05:14 PM
This was a really great show, and I laughed all the way through. I love the LAS, even when things go a bit awry (I'm thinking the recent RMS interview that got a bit silly). It's always entertaining and just darn fun. Well done guys!

It's actually the first time I've seen W8 running, and was surprised by how downright unattractive and unappealing it was. Considering the undeserved storm of protest over Gnome 3 and Unity, to me this looks set to cause all sorts of upset, and is going to be considerably worse for a desktop user imho. Gnome 3 and Unity both trump this completely, being much more approachable for a desktop user (of course imho - I really love the new Linux DE's).

Copper Bezel
April 4th, 2012, 11:29 PM
I think it would be a perfectly reasonable interface if not for the absurd limitations on what can and can't operate within the Metro interface. It's not all as bad as they made it seem, and that was part of the fun - I think we've all seen demos where the folks running the thing didn't really know how it worked, particularly for Linux software.

Let desktop apps live in the Metro world and add vertical tiling in addition to the horizontal, and Metro wouldn't be a bad interface. (Hell, allow sideloading Metro apps, and it might not even be evil.)

There is some good stuff in there - Metro apps seem more consistently aware of their dimensions on the screen than conventional desktop apps, for instance, which could be really handy. And although it's been reduced to a hot corner, the desktop app really does still have a Start menu. I don't know what anyone was thinking with the itty-bitty controls at the bottom of the home screen, or that ridiculous slide-to-unlock ritual that seems to have none of the benefits and all of the drawbacks of an actual, you know, slide-to-unlock screen.

Really, I just find it amusing that Microsoft is willing to take these steps. I don't know what pressure they feel from iOS and Android, but they're not making a very good case for themselves as still being the only "real PC" in the room by actively playing down what advantages they do have over those platforms as old hat.

Bandit
April 5th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Made me laugh - I was surprised how bad Windows 8 ran and was to use, and folk complain about Unity.

I wonder if Windows users will look back with fondness to Vista?

Lot of folks complained about vista, but honestly when you turn off File Indexing it actually ran good.

Copper Bezel
April 5th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Vista introduced a lot of new features and a lot of new problems. Win 7 solved all of the problems and added more features. While a lot of people balked at the system requirements early on when the only point of comparison was XP, Vista is really just as hard to appreciate in retrospect.