PDA

View Full Version : Help Building first gaming pc

Noamo30
April 3rd, 2012, 07:19 PM
Im buildng my first PC and want to know if everything is going to be compatible or if i am bottlenecking anything. i have everything in an amazon wish list below

http://amzn.com/w/XA8O2QGG68 (http://amzn.com/w/XA8ONB2QGG68)

Also please help if something could be easily upgraded

sffvba[e0rt
April 3rd, 2012, 08:09 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Not an Ubuntu related support question.

CharlesA
April 3rd, 2012, 08:12 PM
Looks good overall. I am not really a fan of raidmax, but that's just me.

sffvba[e0rt
April 3rd, 2012, 08:20 PM
My 2c worth... If you are planning on using Linux I would suggest switching the ATI graphics card for a nVidia one (which is sad for me because I just got me a Radeon and I am suffering for it).

If you decide to stick with the Radeon's I would get a slightly higher spec'ed one than the 6450. I have a 6850 and can vouch that it rocks (and the 7 series is also out so...) (Just be careful if you go for the 6850 and some of the others and you want to use dual monitors, they can sometimes not support more than one screen if you are planning on using a VGA port).

I can't comment on the processor as I am more of an Intel user, but I would go for as much RAM as you can... there can never be to much RAM :)

Enjoy the power and game hard!

terrykiwi83
April 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Not bad bit of a lower end gaming pc in my opinion. I would of went for one of Intel's i7 range, much more powerful (just a little more costly). Also why not bump the RAM upto 8GB?

Edit: +1 nVidia. I use a GTX570 and it works just peachy.

Edit 2: Are you going to be gaming on Windows or just Linux?

CharlesA
April 3rd, 2012, 08:23 PM
Good point. I've got that CPU (and mobo, actually) in my desktop machine and they run fine.

I was figuring they were going to be using Linux, as there is no Windows cd listed on the wishlist.

But yeah +1 to Nvidia.

GWBouge
April 3rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
For gaming? Double the RAM. Go with at least an ATI 6850 or nVidia GTX 560 (my vote's for nVidia, as well). Not too familiar with AMD processors, but I'm reading that one is fairly equivelant to the i3-2120 ... it should hold up until you upgrade to a pretty high-end video card.

CharlesA
April 3rd, 2012, 09:44 PM
I'm running that CPU - Phenom II x4 965 Black with a Nvidia 560Ti and it runs everything I throw at it.

Only difference is I have 8GB of RAM.

Basher101
April 3rd, 2012, 09:50 PM
i use myself a gtx 570 and it works its magic (in Linux too)..
as for i7, i would not get them, grab a i5 2500k instead. They are about 10% less powerful, but cost 100 bucks less. I dont see why i should pay 100 bucks more for a mere 10% performance increase.

also +1 for double RAM, 8 gigs are somewhat the standard a gaming PC should have.

I see your case has a 120 mm front intake fan and a 80 mm exhaust fan. This is really neat, as you will have positive pressure inside your case, which will make dust less likeley to accumulate in edges and corners of your case. My guess is that the side fan is also an intake fan, which increases this effect.

good luck with your built

GWBouge
April 3rd, 2012, 10:06 PM
I'm running that CPU - Phenom II x4 965 Black with a Nvidia 560Ti and it runs everything I throw at it.

i use myself a gtx 570 and it works its magic (in Linux too)..
as for i7, i would not get them, grab a i5 2500k instead.

Yeah, any processor over the $180 mark or so is a waste for most games. Unless you do a bit of video encoding, 3D rendering, or are running SLI/X-Fire or a $300+ video card, the video will be the bottleneck.

Heck, I'm still running on my 4yr old Dell with a Core2Duo @ 3GHz (e6850) and 4GB of RAM, just upgraded to a GTX460 a year or two ago, and it runs most pretty well at near max settings. Waiting on Blender to bake is a pain, though ... getting to be time for a new build ...

kaldor
April 4th, 2012, 01:17 AM
If you're going to do anything beyond surfing the web and watching movies, do NOT get that graphics card (Radeon 6450). It's one of the most low-end modern cards around- I have it and I can't do much with it.

It depends on if you're doing gaming in Windows or Linux too. If you use Windows for games and Linux for all else, then AMD cards are fine. If you intend to game in Linux, then don't get anything other than NVIDIA.

Here's a few models to look into:

- NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti
- AMD Radeon HD 6770 (or 5770- same thing)
- AMD Radeon HD 7750 (really small and compact, but quite good performance)

All of these should be able to at least run any modern game you throw at it at on medium settings.