PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth beta available for download

johanPO
June 12th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I just found that they relesed a beta http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

Don't know if this is old news, but anyway I thought I'd post this

Download, and execute sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin and that was it

I have it up and running and so far it looks nice

BWF89
June 12th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I like how it says "Tested on the following OS's" and Ubuntu is the first one on the list.

MetalMusicAddict
June 12th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I dont care if you are late, Thanx man. I got it going right off the bat. Killer.

Ubunted
June 12th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Woohoo!

The overall interface is a bit different, but it's working beautifully on my X800XL.

23meg
June 12th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Good to hear this; downloading now.

krye
June 12th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I don't think you are late... why isn't this posted all over news sites on the internet??

Thanks! I'm installing it as soon as I get home.

ubuntu27
June 12th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I just found that they relesed a beta http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

Hey thanks! Tha's NEWS for me :)

_simon_
June 12th, 2006, 09:43 PM
it's a shame that the windows live one has more detail :(

However.... :D been waiting for this!

grsing
June 12th, 2006, 09:43 PM
It does work pretty well, though on my laptop (just on the edge of the specs, can run the Windows version but it's slow) it doesn't work very well (LOTS of visual artifacts and such, hard to use). On the desktop, once I realized I had old nvidia drivers installed and put the new ones on, it works great, just as good as the Windows.

MetalMusicAddict
June 12th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Heres a screenshot:

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/9895/screenshot5at.th.jpg (http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/9895/screenshot5at.jpg)

I have a AMD 2600+ and a nVidia 6800OC.

23meg
June 12th, 2006, 10:00 PM
15 minute impression: performance isn't any different than the Windows version but it's already crashed twice, beta being beta.

grsing
June 12th, 2006, 10:07 PM
15 minute impression: performance isn't any different than the Windows version but it's already crashed twice, beta being beta.

Though with Google, it's hard to say what Beta actually means (gmail is still beta, for goodness sakes). But you're right, this is a pretty early beta, and the first on Linux, so we have to expect some problems. Still, I love Google more than ever right now (and the news that they're reconsidering the China stuff is all the better).

MetalMusicAddict
June 12th, 2006, 10:14 PM
(and the news that they're reconsidering the China stuff is all the better).
Got a link to that?

imagine
June 12th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Try Google =)

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=google+china

But they don't really reconsider anything. Sergey Brin just said that Google may have compromised its principles with their censorship in China.
However IMHO Googles single principle is making as much money as possible, as every other big company. So I don't see what they compromised there.

givré
June 12th, 2006, 10:37 PM
So funny,http://earth.google.com/
"View exotic locales like Maui and Paris" :rolleyes: :cool:

Technoviking
June 12th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I can only run Google Earth as root, in via sudo.

Anyone having this problem?

REBELinBLUE
June 12th, 2006, 11:07 PM
I can only run Google Earth as root, in via sudo.

Anyone having this problem?

Yeah, in fact that is the rest for my visit, to see if anyone else is.

I get "symlink: Permission denied" unless I use sudo

cbudden
June 12th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Did you install as sudo to your home dir? I didn't need to use sudo to install.

NeoChaosX
June 12th, 2006, 11:10 PM
The simple solution would be not to run the installer as sudo and just install to your home directory.

Personally, I'm having toruble with the graphics. The display area has pretty corrupt and/or messed up graphics. I'm using an ATI card (Mobility Radeon 7500 with 64 MB of RAM), though, so that may explain my problems.

avilella
June 12th, 2006, 11:16 PM
It does work pretty well, though on my laptop (just on the edge of the specs, can run the Windows version but it's slow) it doesn't work very well (LOTS of visual artifacts and such, hard to use). On the desktop, once I realized I had old nvidia drivers installed and put the new ones on, it works great, just as good as the Windows.

mine is also misbehaving... the image is broken in pieces like a puzzle. Incidentally, there must be something wrong with my nvidia:

avilella@magneto:~$ dpkg -l nvidia-glx
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-=================================-=================================-================================================== ================================
ii nvidia-glx 1.0.8762+2.6.15.11-1 NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org driver

kashms
June 12th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I get "symlink: Permission denied" unless I use sudo

when you install with sudo the ~/.googleearth directory is owned by root.

sudo chown -R user:user ~/.googleearth

exchange "user" with your user name.

K.Mandla
June 12th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Looking at the system requirements, am I to understand it longer needs wine?

grsing
June 12th, 2006, 11:25 PM
The simple solution would be not to run the installer as sudo and just install to your home directory.

Personally, I'm having toruble with the graphics. The display area has pretty corrupt and/or messed up graphics. I'm using an ATI card (Mobility Radeon 7500 with 64 MB of RAM), though, so that may explain my problems.

The computer I'm having trouble on is a Mobility Radeon 9000, pretty much the same problem. I'm going to try to find a fix, I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

grsing
June 12th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Looking at the system requirements, am I to understand it longer needs wine?

If it runs like Picasa, it uses Wine, but it's part of the install, configured so that you don't even know Wine is running (but that's only if it's like Picasa, they could have just ported it entirely, I don't know).

Rhapsody
June 12th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Working for me, but the program says I'm using OpenGL with software emulation. I know that this means my CPU is doing all the work and my GeForce4 MX (with good OpenGL support) is just sitting there looking pretty. This isn't really an acceptable situation, so does anyone have a tip about what to do? My video card is a Micro-Star International GeForce4 MX4000.

grsing
June 12th, 2006, 11:28 PM
mine is also misbehaving... the image is broken in pieces like a puzzle. Incidentally, there must be something wrong with my nvidia:

avilella@magneto:~$ dpkg -l nvidia-glx
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-=================================-=================================-================================================== ================================
ii nvidia-glx 1.0.8762+2.6.15.11-1 NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org driver

You might try installing the most recent NVIDIA drivers, that's what worked for me. The guide here: http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Dapper#METHOD_1 worked well (used Method 1, it'll automatically install the most recent version).

K.Mandla
June 12th, 2006, 11:34 PM
If it runs like Picasa, it uses Wine, but it's part of the install, configured so that you don't even know Wine is running (but that's only if it's like Picasa, they could have just ported it entirely, I don't know).
True. I would prefer it didn't rely on wine. Nothing against wine, just a personal quirk of mine. ;)

givré
June 12th, 2006, 11:38 PM
I'm not so sure, there is no .dll in their directory but .so files
I think they converted their .dll from the windows version into .so with wine, but i might be wrong.
Anyway, wine is not launch when i use it

futaris
June 12th, 2006, 11:40 PM
when you install with sudo the ~/.googleearth directory is owned by root.

Thanks for that... It fixed the problem nicely...

Azrael
June 12th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Working for me, but the program says I'm using OpenGL with software emulation. I know that this means my CPU is doing all the work and my GeForce4 MX (with good OpenGL support) is just sitting there looking pretty. This isn't really an acceptable situation, so does anyone have a tip about what to do? My video card is a Micro-Star International GeForce4 MX4000.
Same for me with an S3 Savage of a Thinkpad T20.

Suggestions be welcome. :o

humansuit
June 13th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Just installed with great anticipation, and it works fine.. except.. all the fonts allover the application are unreadable-small. I've had these problems before with other applications (aMsn recently) but i've worked them out somehow, not quite sure how.. i'm totally new at this linux-thing..:)

antdengineer
June 13th, 2006, 12:09 AM
when I install either as root or as a regular user i get:

symlink: Permission denied

when running "googleearth"

How are you installing this program so that the command "googleearth" can be used to do this.

REBELinBLUE
June 13th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Perfect, thanks

ArizonaKid
June 13th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Try Google =)

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=google+china

But they don't really reconsider anything. Sergey Brin just said that Google may have compromised its principles with their censorship in China.
However IMHO Googles single principle is making as much money as possible, as every other big company. So I don't see what they compromised there.

They better make money. I own stock in Google :) and I sure as heck don't want to build my nest egg on companies that don't want to make money.

This may not be the place to get into politics (oh well), but a Google in China with restrictions is better than no Google at all. I do believe it is evil to restrict information, but sometimes operating in the gray zone is needed in situations like this. Remember, only a Sith operates in absolutes. ;)

Although we have principles in America, we can't just force and expect change overnight (that's what WAR is for). There have been several reports that prove that a restrictive Google in China still provides a wealth of information that would be deemed inappropriate. It's just a matter of time before China is free. We just have to keep giving China more and more information, access, a free market, trade, and soon the country will know its just better business to allow a free society. Influence, especially economic, can be a wonderful tool of freedom.

bigken
June 13th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Cheers mate my daughter loves this :D

mstlyevil
June 13th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Works very well and I am impressed. From what I am reading Google Earth for Linux is native and does not use wine. I need to do more research to confirm this.

MetalMusicAddict
June 13th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Works very well and I am impressed. From what I am reading Google Earth for Linux is native and does not use wine. I need to do more research to confirm this.
Im looking into this also. Im looking into the processes and I see no WINE processes. Even if it does it aint runnin' half bad. ;)

ArizonaKid
June 13th, 2006, 01:06 AM

Not sure how definitive this is, but this link says its native.

ZDNET BLOGS (http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/index.php?p=124)

The article states:

If Picasa for Linux is successful, then other Google applications (and future versions of Picasa) may also be ported using Wine. (Google Earth won't be one of them, though; it will be a native Linux application.)

mwales
June 13th, 2006, 01:53 AM
I've tried installing it both as user and sudo/root. Either way I install it, it can only be run as sudo/root. Either way, if I try to run it as a normal user I get:

Please post up your configuration, how you installed it, and how it's working for you.

As long as I run it as root, it seems to work fine.

my config = Kubuntu 6.06 x86_64, GeForce6800 (with NVidias driver)

dudus
June 13th, 2006, 01:53 AM
I was prepared to see a wine port to GEarth. I'm glad to see they made it native.
Although I find wine apps performance pretty nice.

dudus
June 13th, 2006, 01:55 AM
I've tried installing it both as user and sudo/root. Either way I install it, it can only be run as sudo/root. Either way, if I try to run it as a normal user I get:

Please post up your configuration, how you installed it, and how it's working for you.

my config = Kubuntu x86_64, GeForce6800 (with NVidias driver)
I just chmoded the bin +x and then executed it sayeng yes to all the preconf. parms. After that a new item was added to my applications menu>Internet. Just click and enjoy.

RAV TUX
June 13th, 2006, 02:07 AM
I will pass on GoogleEarth hated it on windows and I hated Picasa on my Ubuntu.

I would rather not have to do a download of old technology like GoogleEarth and I prefer to use either Windows Live Local(with Birds' eye imagery) right from my Firefox or Opera browser. Much better is A9 maps with Blockview technology.

Google has a long way to go to impress me, they use technology I was using 10 years before they came out with GoogleEarth so I found it a great disappointment but a worthy endeavor.

I do find it amusing how many people are impressed by such old technology.

GoogleEarth & Picasa both a waste of space on my computer, kinda of like useless kitchen gadgets, fun for a week then you realize their worthless.

My apologies in advance for not having a fanboy-like cult following of Google but I haven't found much use for any of their products, especially their search engine & email(not to mention Picasa & GoogleEarth).

RAV TUX
June 13th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Silly question but do we really need 3 threads on GoogleEarth ?:confused:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=69581
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=195199
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=183956

grsing
June 13th, 2006, 03:27 AM

I would rather not have to do a download of old technology like GoogleEarth and I prefer to use either Windows Live Local(with Birds' eye imagery) right from my Firefox or Opera browser. Much better is A9 maps with Blockview technology.

Google has a long way to go to impress me, they use technology I was using 10 years before they came out with GoogleEarth so I found it a great disappointment but a worthy endeavor.

GoogleEarth & Picasa both a waste of space on my computer, kinda of like useless kitchen gadgets, fun for a week then you realize their worthless.

My apologies in advance for not having a fanboy-like cult following of Google but I haven't found much use for any of their products, especially their search engine & email(not to mention Picasa & GoogleEarth).

Your choice, of course. I've found Google Earth extremely useful when planning trips and the like, and I know other people have found it useful as more than just a toy, but Windows Live Local and A9 are both good, too. Picasa I kind of agree with you, and also agree that we'd probably be better off with one thread on Google Earth.

TripleE
June 13th, 2006, 03:57 AM
I just downloaded and installed it. Easy install. It is working good for me. My only complaint is that I do not see GoogleEarth in my Applications bar anywere:(

AMD Athlon64 3000+, 1 GB RAM, Asus A8S-X
BFG Geforce 7300 GS pci-e x16
Raid0 2x SATA 80gb HDs

disturbed1
June 13th, 2006, 03:59 AM
I just downloaded and installed it. Easy install. It is working good for me. My only complaint is that I do not see GoogleEarth in my Applications bar anywere:(

AMD Athlon64 3000+, 1 GB RAM, Asus A8S-X
BFG Geforce 7300 GS pci-e x16
Raid0 2x SATA 80gb HDs
It installed under internet in GNOME for me.

Works fine with hardware rendering using an ATI x1600.

mwales
June 13th, 2006, 04:16 AM
For everyone running into the symlink: Permission Denied error

Found this info over at the google earth community board. Check your user's home directory for a .googleearth directory. Mine was owned by root, causing the user to not be able to run the application. To fix it:

sudo chown -R <username> ~/.googleearth/
sudo chgrp -R <username> ~/.googleearth/

mustang
June 13th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Thank you for the link. Video is kind of choppy---probably because I don't have the proper ATI drivers working.

benuski
June 13th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Finally.. .this was one of the things I missed the most from windows

professor_chaos
June 13th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Sorry you dont like GoogleEarth. But, ohh man, I think google earth is freekin awesome. Thanks for the link.

nrayever
June 13th, 2006, 05:29 AM
For everyone running into the symlink: Permission Denied error

Found this info over at the google earth community board. Check your user's home directory for a .googleearth directory. Mine was owned by root, causing the user to not be able to run the application. To fix it:

sudo chown -R <username> ~/.googleearth/
sudo chgrp -R <username> ~/.googleearth/

thanks mwales, this is the real solution for the symlink problem. now i'm enojying of GEarth at my user!! GEarth rocks!! \\:D/ \\:D/ \\:D/

nrayever

benplaut
June 13th, 2006, 05:33 AM

same card here, same problem.

Actually, after doing something i can't remember, it pretty much hard-froze the comp. Mouse worked, but couldn't get to a TTY or kill X.

Still cool, tho

PapaWiskas
June 13th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Sweet....thanks alot....

flu
June 13th, 2006, 06:46 AM
The installer can be run in normal user and sudo but which is the better way to run the installer? :confused:

grsing
June 13th, 2006, 06:57 AM
The installer can be run in normal user and sudo but which is the better way to run the installer? :confused:

From what I've done and heard about, better to do it normally, otherwise you have to run the program as sudo, which is a pain, and potentially unsafe (I doubt Google wants to hurt your stuff, but with root permissions, it could, and it still is a beta, after all)

codelad
June 13th, 2006, 07:06 AM
I get the following error when i try running google earth :-(

$ googleearth
Google Earth has caught signal 11.

Stacktrace from glibc:
./googleearth-bin(__gxx_personality_v0+0x212) [0x804ab32]
./googleearth-bin [0x804b133]
[0xffffe500]
/usr/lib32/libX11.so.6(XQueryExtension+0x17) [0x5734afc7]
/usr/lib32/libX11.so.6(XInitExtension+0x3b) [0x5733f54b]
/usr/lib32/libXext.so.6(XextAddDisplay+0x49) [0x5731951c]
/usr/lib32/libGL.so.1 [0x57457394]
/usr/lib32/libGL.so.1(__glXInitialize+0x1f) [0x57457a5b]
/usr/lib32/libGL.so.1(__glXSetupForCommand+0x47) [0x57458a11]
/usr/lib32/libGL.so.1(glXSwapIntervalSGI+0x9d) [0x57455f57]
./libIGGfx.so(_ZN3Gap3Gfx18igOglVisualContext15setSw apIntervalEi+0x100) [0x56adbf60]
./libIGGfx.so(_ZN3Gap3Gfx18igOglVisualContext4openEv +0x568) [0x56b17378]
/usr/local/google-earth/libevll.so(_ZN5earth4evll13VisualContext11openCont extEN3Gap3Gfx25igRenderDestinationFormatERKNS0_8In itInfoE+0xff) [0x59a898bf]
/usr/local/google-earth/libevll.so(_ZN5earth4evll13VisualContext4initERKNS 0_8InitInfoE+0xdf) [0x59a8b2af]
/usr/local/google-earth/libevll.so(_ZN5earth4evll17RenderContextImpl4initE RKNS0_8InitInfoE+0x3f) [0x59a3be8f]
./librender.so(_ZN12RenderWidget6setApiEPN5earth4evl l3APIE+0x4b) [0x56fb87bb]
./librender.so(_ZN5earth6render12RenderWindow12creat eWidgetEv+0x8a) [0x56fa06ba]
./libgoogleearth.so(_ZN5earth6client12ModuleWidget9s howEventEP10QShowEvent+0x7d) [0x55c6180d]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN7QWidget5eventEP6QEvent+0x277) [0x56266db7]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN12QApplication14internalNotifyEP7QObjec tP6QEvent+0xa1) [0x561ba731]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN12QApplication6notifyEP7QObjectP6QEvent +0xc9) [0x561bb219]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN7QWidget4showEv+0x266) [0x56265d16]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN7QWidget12showChildrenEb+0x11b) [0x56265a6b]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN7QWidget4showEv+0x207) [0x56265cb7]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN11QMainWindow4showEv+0x93) [0x56338513]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN7QWidget10showNormalEv+0x33) [0x5625f383]
./libgoogleearth.so(_ZN10MainWindow18readScreensizeI nfoEv+0x621) [0x55c26e61]
./libgoogleearth.so(_ZN5earth6client11Application3ru nEiPPc+0x1569) [0x55c4e2d9]
./libgoogleearth.so(_ZN5earth6client11ApplicationC1E iPPcb+0x923) [0x55c502c3]
./googleearth-bin [0x804c73d]
/lib32/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xd2) [0x57122ea2]
./googleearth-bin(__gxx_personality_v0+0x41) [0x804a961]

Any ideas on how to get this fixed?

I'm running Dapper Drake 6.06 amd64 with 2.6.15-23-amd64-generic #1 SMP PREEMPT

Thanks in advance,
VJ

_simon_
June 13th, 2006, 07:14 AM

my config = Kubuntu 6.06 x86_64, GeForce6800 (with NVidias driver)

installed via
sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin

I Let the installer use the default location and symlink.

I run it via the menu entry in Applications -> Internet and a panel icon.

Not had any crashes yet and graphics are problem free, I use the 32bit version of Dapper + k7 kernel and have an nvidia Geforce 6800, driver 1.0-8762

Hanj
June 13th, 2006, 08:39 AM
I also get lots of visual artefacts on my laptop :( It's not even usable. Hope this will get better in newer versions.

Footissimo
June 13th, 2006, 09:10 AM
For those with 'owned by root problems' its worth mentioning that, like all the loki installers, you shouldn't run the program from the button which presents at the end of the installer - as you are currently running as root, the program will create the ~/.googleearth directory as root.

Instead, once the installer has finished, just press 'exit' and then type in 'googleearth' and the ~/.googleearth directory will be created as user.

I wish the loki installer and its look-a-likes would just NOT offer to run the programs, it confuses the hell out of some.

Oh and thankyou Google :)

Brynster
June 13th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Nice app

Shame google had to ruin is reputation. Personally my anti google axe grinding and refusal to use or support google will go on until it stops dealing with China.

DerHesse
June 13th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Same for me (Dapper)

Stacktrace from glibc:
./googleearth-bin(__gxx_personality_v0+0x212) [0x804ab32]
./googleearth-bin [0x804b133]
[0xffffe420]
./libbase.so(_ZN5earth12MemoryWindow17ShowMemoryMess ageEP7QWidget7QStringbS3_S3_RKS3_S5_+0x462) [0xb7991d92]
/home/xxx/google-earth/libevll.so(_ZN5earth4evll17RenderContextImpl18requ ireDXOGLSwitchERK7QStringS4_+0x183d) [0xb3ba148d]
./librender.so(_ZN12RenderWidget6setApiEPN5earth4evl l3APIE+0xcc) [0xb658183c]
./librender.so(_ZN5earth6render12RenderWindow12creat eWidgetEv+0x8a) [0xb65696ba]
./libgoogleearth.so(_ZN5earth6client12ModuleWidget9s howEventEP10QShowEvent+0x7d) [0xb791a80d]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN7QWidget5eventEP6QEvent+0x277) [0xb6ff5db7]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN12QApplication14internalNotifyEP7QObjec tP6QEvent+0xa1) [0xb6f49731]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN12QApplication6notifyEP7QObjectP6QEvent +0xc9) [0xb6f4a219]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN7QWidget4showEv+0x266) [0xb6ff4d16]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN7QWidget12showChildrenEb+0x11b) [0xb6ff4a6b]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN7QWidget4showEv+0x207) [0xb6ff4cb7]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN11QMainWindow4showEv+0x93) [0xb70c7513]
./libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN7QWidget10showNormalEv+0x33) [0xb6fee383]
./libgoogleearth.so(_ZN10MainWindow18readScreensizeI nfoEv+0x621) [0xb78dfe61]
./libgoogleearth.so(_ZN5earth6client11Application3ru nEiPPc+0x1569) [0xb79072d9]
./libgoogleearth.so(_ZN5earth6client11ApplicationC1E iPPcb+0x923) [0xb79092c3]
./googleearth-bin [0x804c73d]
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xd2) [0xb62deea2]
./googleearth-bin(__gxx_personality_v0+0x41) [0x804a961]

i did the uninstall :) and will stay with http://maps.google.com/

I wonder if there are any Daper Drake users with a working googleearth.

phido
June 13th, 2006, 02:31 PM
I wonder if there are any Daper Drake users with a working googleearth.
Works fine here :D

rippon
June 13th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Works fine for me, but then it randomly locks up. :(

PapaWiskas
June 13th, 2006, 03:08 PM
so ok, i made the mistake as installing with sudo.

How do I uninstall it, so I can start over?

givré
June 13th, 2006, 03:22 PM
the uninstaller is in /usr/local/google-earth

bruce89
June 13th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Although we have principles in America, we can't just force and expect change overnight (that's what WAR is for). There have been several reports that prove that a restrictive Google in China still provides a wealth of information that would be deemed inappropriate. It's just a matter of time before China is free. We just have to keep giving China more and more information, access, a free market, trade, and soon the country will know its just better business to allow a free society. Influence, especially economic, can be a wonderful tool of freedom.
And America is free? It's one of the more oppressive places I know of. Also, war doesn't make things any better, contary to what George thinks.

imagine
June 13th, 2006, 04:29 PM

I don't know what you used 10 years ago, however here are two shots of the same, randomly chosen place in Germany. One from Windows Live and one from Google Maps, *both with the highest possible resolution*.

Google Maps (http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/3595/google3qg.png)
Windows Live (http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8925/windows7dt.png)

So be careful before calling one of them obsolete.

bruce89
June 13th, 2006, 05:12 PM
OpenStreetMap (http://www.openstreetmap.org) is much better! Well, not for satellite views anyway.

grsing
June 13th, 2006, 05:36 PM
For those with the weird visual artifacts, try hiding and then showing the sidebar (the square kinda button at the top left of the picture space). Don't know why it works, but that clears up the problem for me, hopefully for you too.

outdooricon
June 13th, 2006, 06:26 PM
If this is native, then why does the UI look so bad. It's got an ugly windows 95 feel to it especially in the menus, instad of using nice gtk menu's...

NeoChaosX
June 13th, 2006, 07:31 PM
If this is native, then why does the UI look so bad. It's got an ugly windows 95 feel to it especially in the menus, instad of using nice gtk menu's...
That's because it's built with Qt and Google seems to have used the default Qt theme rather than let it use a user's Qt theme. In KDE, it actually looks nice (or the fonts do, at least).

cbudden
June 13th, 2006, 07:51 PM

I agree, it does look ugly.

givré
June 13th, 2006, 08:44 PM
It is definitly native, if you still thinking that is not, look at /usr/local/google-earth/, you will see only .so (and in particular the famous libqt4.so) and no .dll, so why would they use wine? to convert linux library into linux library ? that's stupid guys.

cyB3r4rd
June 13th, 2006, 10:21 PM
As I mentioned in the other main GE topic, it would be really nice if GE could use the shared libraries of the present system, including libjpeg, libmng, libpng, libcurl, libcrypto... and libqt-mt and libqui.
But it doesn't at the moment, that's why the GUI looks so ugly.

I'd like to use it with my custom QtCurve, but I can't... quite bad...

richbarna
June 13th, 2006, 10:41 PM

YAY ! This is the one and only thing I missed on Windows.
Looks good, old news or not, I didn't know about it until I saw this thread !

Thank you :)

lonegranger
June 13th, 2006, 10:49 PM
I'm a real newbie to Linux. Used to run Google Earth before on my XP box until I was converted. How exactly do you install and run it with Ubuntu.

Thanks

_simon_
June 13th, 2006, 10:54 PM
there's a few ways.

first download the GoogleEarthLinux.bin file

then the way I did it was, open terminal and type:

sh /path/to/GoogleEarthLinux.bin

obviously replace /path/to/ with the actual location of the bin file!

grsing
June 13th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I'm a real newbie to Linux. Used to run Google Earth before on my XP box until I was converted. How exactly do you install and run it with Ubuntu.

Thanks

Assuming you download it to your home directory, just type:

sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin

and just follow the prompts. To run it, it should show up in the Internet part of the applications menu; to run from terminal, it's googleearth

bruce89
June 13th, 2006, 10:57 PM
I just right clicked on it, went to Properties>Permissions and selected Owner executable. I then just double clicked it.

stenka
June 14th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Hi,

On my laptop with i915 graphic card, it displays well but it so slow that it is not usable.

On the terminal, I get the following messages :

stenka@ubuntu:~$ sudo googleearth
Password:
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x26
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x28
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x29
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2a
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2b
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2c
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2d
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2e
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x31
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x32
do_wait: drmWaitVBlank returned -1, IRQs don't seem to be working correctly.
Try running with LIBGL_THROTTLE_REFRESH and LIBL_SYNC_REFRESH unset.

Do you have any idea ?

Thanks in advance.

givré
June 14th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Are you using xgl/aiglx guy, it seems so.
If it is, unactive compiz and it should be better

stenka
June 14th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Thank you for your answer.

Indeed I installed it, even if I am not using it right now (deactivated with compiz).

But, sorry for my stupidity, I don't know how to disable it.

I tried to uncomment the related line of my xorg.conf :

<<
Section "Module"
Load "GLcore"
Load "i2c"
Load "bitmap"
Load "ddc"
Load "dri"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
#Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "type1"
Load "vbe"
Load "dbe"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
#Option "AIGLX" "true"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection
Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

>>

But when I run googleearth it claims that glx extension is missing.

What's the way for deactivating xgl without desinstalling all the stuff ?

stenka
June 15th, 2006, 10:52 AM
anyone tried it with a 915 GM laptop ?

Xgl is not activated at my GDM startup, so I don't think it comes from that...

And 3d games are not slow (I tested penguin racer), while Googleearth take more than 10s to answer to any command.

JimmyDeSotto
June 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Hi all, I have a Acer Aspire 5021 with a Radeon mobility X700 card under the hood and Google Earth doesn't seem to want to recognise it, it keeps loading up the Open GL emulation and is very very slow. This is very puzzling as *suprise suprise* it loads up perfectly fine on my old desktop with a crappy Geforce 440MX. If anyone's found a solution to this problem that'd be great

stenka
June 15th, 2006, 05:16 PM
anyone tried it with a 915 GM laptop ?

Xgl is not activated at my GDM startup, so I don't think it comes from that...

And 3d games are not slow (I tested penguin racer), while Googleearth take more than 10s to answer to any command.

For those who would meet the same problem, a simple "export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true" resolved my problem.

Bols
November 2nd, 2006, 11:51 PM
For those who would meet the same problem, a simple "export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true" resolved my problem.
Thank you, it did the trick but it seems more a workaround than a real fix
by using this command you just replace the hardware rendering by the software one.
Maybe it's related to this xorg bug (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6814)?

inthepit
November 3rd, 2006, 05:01 PM
I like how it says "Tested on the following OS's" and Ubuntu is the first one on the list.

its cause of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu