PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10 unable to update .ICEAutorithy

g.a.
April 3rd, 2012, 08:12 AM
I recently upgradet from 11.04 to 11.10 using a CD. I verified that the version was fully compatible with my laptop and did an install "keeping my previous settings".

During the installation I was asked for a username and password, I have the same as my previous version.

After installation I tried to log in using the sole username and password and I got the error "unable to update .ICEAutorithy".

I read on the groups that it might have been a problem of file owner, so I finally managed to solve it by:

1) run a live linux from CD
2) check for ownerships (all the names were missing but i notice that the home directory was PID 1000 and the subdirectories were PID 1001 so I chown all the directories to 1000

However, if I reconstruct my steps I do not find any specific moment in which I might have make an installation mistake, maybe the fact that I gave the same username and password? well, why did it ask me for username and password if I made an upgrade and not a fresh install?

I read several thread similar to this one but the PID issue was never written down, so I hope those information might be usefull to someone.

Best,
g.