PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Default 12.04 Wallpaper (extremely ugly)

ruinairas
April 3rd, 2012, 07:23 AM
I already know you are going to say "You can change it" but it really puts a ugly image for Ubuntu. Everytime I show my friends a fresh install of Ubuntu they say it looks ugly. As soon as I change the wallpaper they then realize how good it "might" be. Isn't first impressions the most important? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Ubuntu trying to go mainstream by being geared for "new users"?

I've read on OMG! Ubuntu's website for some time now that MANY people agree. Like 9 out of 10 people say it's just downright terrible. "First impressions are everything."

x-shaney-x
April 3rd, 2012, 09:14 AM
Like ALL users, new users either like it or they don't or just don't mind either way, wallpapers are a personal thing to some people and others just don't care.

For example, many people scream out for some sort of ubuntu or pangolin logo in the image whereas many people I know, including me, absolutely hate logos in wallpapers.

They could get rid of this "extremely ugly" wallpaper and use a different one, which then the people who do like the current one may find extremely ugly so where does it stop?

Of course what ubuntu should do is connect to and contact each individual user after a fresh install, ask them exactly what kind of wallpaper they would like and tailor-make it for them.

buzzmandt
April 3rd, 2012, 11:23 AM
Wallpaper is an individual thing. I agree its ugly and change it right away but my 14 yr old step daughters first words about it was "oooohhhh, pretty! ".

zeljkojagust
April 3rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
That's something I find unbelievable.... people's first impression is based on what they see as wallpaper. I can have a crap of a car, but if I change it's body into something more sporty people will say, it's awesome man! That's what makes Apple such a successful company, yeah, Apple's toys look cool... the fact that OSX is almost unusable and file system is last peace of s**t doesn't concern anybody... as long as it looks cool right?

ventrical
April 3rd, 2012, 12:20 PM
I think warty is ok. A splash with a dash ! If I believe everything that is posted at OMG Ubuntu then I might as well find another OS elsewhere. :)

janderson91z
April 3rd, 2012, 02:09 PM
Yeah, the default wallpaper looks horrible.

People who say 'it's just a wallpaper, it's personal preference, you can change it" need to realize, most people think the wallpaper is ugly. Doesn't it make more sense to choose something more neutral? Not some orange and purple blurry eye hurt that new users are going to be turned off by. Canonical keeps releasing the same wallpaper over and over with very minute changes. It looks just as bad every time. First impressions matter. I almost feel like Canonical is trolling.

philinux
April 3rd, 2012, 02:46 PM
Yeah, the default wallpaper looks horrible.

People who say 'it's just a wallpaper, it's personal preference, you can change it" need to realize, most people think the wallpaper is ugly. Doesn't it make more sense to choose something more neutral? Not some orange and purple blurry eye hurt that new users are going to be turned off by. Canonical keeps releasing the same wallpaper over and over with very minute changes. It looks just as bad every time. First impressions matter. I almost feel like Canonical is trolling.

There will be other to choose from including this. http://iloveubuntu.net/new-official-wallpaper-selection-adds-abstract-pangolin-wall

Although what actually gets through is up in the air but the default is set.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1899757@N25/

santosh83
April 3rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
<snip>
Of course what ubuntu should do is connect to and contact each individual user after a fresh install, ask them exactly what kind of wallpaper they would like and tailor-make it for them.

LOL, I hope you were just being sarcastic there! :-)

waldherrvonbirnbaum
April 3rd, 2012, 03:13 PM
try the satanic edition:
http://ubuntusatanic.org/

neu5eeCh
April 3rd, 2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I've never liked Ubuntu's default wallpaper, but I can't be bothered to get worked up about it (since I can change it).

To me, Ubuntu's Wallpaper is the The-Last-Thing-You'll-See-When-You-Tell-Mike-Tyson-His-Momma-Wears-Army-Boots Wallpaper. And you too will be saying: Ohhhhh... Pretty! -- just before your body horizontally contacts the pavement. ;)

squilookle
April 3rd, 2012, 03:33 PM
It's trivial thing and easily changed, but if it bothered enough users and the first impressions a thing were deemed important enough, could the installer not present you with a few options and let you select a wallpaper from there, after you choose your user name and password?

I don't think that is necessary, but I'm sure it's possible.

janderson91z
April 3rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
I know it's easy to change the wallpaper. That's not the point. Point is that from a design standpoint, it's not appealing. A nice clean looking wallpaper could go a long way to catch the eye of potential new users. Not some purple and orange vomit with some spots of lens flare added every release.

neu5eeCh
April 3rd, 2012, 05:24 PM
I know it's easy to change the wallpaper. That's not the point. Point is that from a design standpoint, it's not appealing. A nice clean looking wallpaper could go a long way to catch the eye of potential new users. Not some purple and orange vomit with some spots of lens flare added every release.

So what are you going to do? You're not going to change it. You're not the first to cry out to the gods of aesthetics. They're not going to change it. Get over it. I agree with you, by the way.

I just tell myself the vomit is stylish and modern. Right before I change it.

janderson91z
April 3rd, 2012, 05:29 PM
I guess you're right. Canonical really doesn't give a damn. Lol.

cariboo
April 3rd, 2012, 06:20 PM
Strange how the unity-design mailing list is totally quiet on this issue. :)

santosh83
April 3rd, 2012, 06:28 PM
Strange how the unity-design mailing list is totally quiet on this issue. :)

Ubuntu was doing well around Hardy's release on the wallpaper angle. Hardy's was excellent, and Jaunty's was nice too, but then along came Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard or some such, and we had a purple revolution in desktop wallpapers! :-P

Having said that, it is a trivial issue. Anyone who wants to use Linux is not going to be put off by Ubuntu's backdrop, and anyone who gets unduly irritated at this is probably not going to last anyway. :-)

jerome1232
April 3rd, 2012, 06:29 PM
Every release this comes up, everyone complained about the brown color scheme, then we have this brownish... redish... orangish... thing, now everything's gone purple.

Everyone is going to continue complaining untill it's either green, blue or silvery, Cannoncial wants to be unique so they won't go those colors.

The purple isn't that bad, at least it doesn't look like a pile of human excretment landed on your desktop.

:guitar:

santosh83
April 3rd, 2012, 06:32 PM
Every release this comes up, everyone complained about the brown color scheme, then we have this brownish... redish... orangish... thing, now everything's gone purple.

Everyone is going to continue complaining untill it's either green, blue or silvery, Cannoncial wants to be unique so they won't go those colors.

The purple isn't that bad, at least it doesn't look like a pile of human excretment landed on your desktop.

LOL, what weird thinking people have, to look at any brown thing, and immediately think about excrement!! Personally I loved Hardy's wallpaper. :-)

jerome1232
April 3rd, 2012, 06:35 PM
LOL, what weird thinking people have, to look at any brown thing, and immediately think about excrement!! Personally I loved Hardy's wallpaper. :-)

I remember one (don't remember the release, or if it was the default, but it came preloaded) that looked like chocolate swirled on my desktop, made me hungry everytime I sat down.

santosh83
April 3rd, 2012, 06:49 PM
I remember one (don't remember the release, or if it was the default, but it came preloaded) that looked like chocolate swirled on my desktop, made me hungry everytime I sat down.

Probably Gutsy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ubuntu-desktop-2-710-20080708.png) or Intrepid (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ubuntu_screenshot.png) I guess!
Intrepid's wallpaper does seem like chocolate chip ice-cream, now that you've mentioned chocolate! :-)

jerome1232
April 3rd, 2012, 06:51 PM
I think it was a darker variant on the gutsy default (Ibex looks like leather to me)

I actually miss the brown now.

ranch hand
April 3rd, 2012, 09:02 PM
Why this thread has not been moved to "Continuing and Meaningless Discussions" when much more pertinent and useful threads have is beyond me.

The chorus of "it is simple to change" about wallpaper is absolutely true.

The chorus of "it is available in the repo" is absolutely true of all the features that Ubuntu has, in their wisdom, removed from the default installation.

It is a little tough to figure why they include in the restricted extras meta package a set of fonts that require a MS eula but I suppose that appeals to Linux users too.

It would be better to pin point the target user a little closer. Vomit admirers are probably, for instance, lower in numbers than 7 year old female Linux users. Target them by simply changing the shade of the vomit to pink. They would love it being genetically geared to love anything pink.

The features problem could be easily solved by a little simple PR. In stead of claiming "it just works" try "Ubuntu featureless Linux for the purple puke lovers.

The only thing wrong with all the "it's in the repo" and "but it is easy to change" arguments is that it is also easy to change distros.

It might be time for the Design team at Ubuntu to actually pay attention to the Ubuntu user instead of being proud of and announcing that they do not have the time to bother.

There may be a reason that there are few of the long time testers left here. This may even be related to lower forum usage than "spam" and the "lack of a new theme".

Debian uses, currently a very immature and fun default wallpaper. Would be great for real wallpaper in a young child’s bedroom. It does not remind you of puke and is very easy to change. It is not something that instantly revolts many users.

There is no excuse for using wallpaper that does instantly revolt many users except a delusional and bull headed attitude of "well we like it so get over it". The design team need fired. There are a number of folks involved with these forums that are well known for artistic talent, pay some attention to them for a change.

It boils down to respect for the people that use your product. Don't see a lot of sign of that.

Like everyone here I am eager for release day. In my case I will be able to say that my box is completely Canonical free the day after release of 12.04.

cariboo
April 3rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
I'll leave this thread here for 24 hours, then move it to Recurring, as most of the posts are duplicates, of all the previous I Hate The New Default Wallpaper threads.

wolfen69
April 3rd, 2012, 09:17 PM

Exactly!!!! Let's start a petition for this. ;)

CharlesA
April 3rd, 2012, 09:33 PM
Exactly!!!! Let's start a petition for this. ;)
I thought they used mind reading during the install to set your preferences? Doesn't it do that for stuff like your timezone?? ;)

I pretty much don't care. If I don't like the wallpaper, I'll change it to something else.

jerome1232
April 3rd, 2012, 09:35 PM
I thought they used mind reading during the install to set your preferences? Doesn't it do that for stuff like your timezone?? ;)

I pretty much don't care. If I don't like the wallpaper, I'll change it to something else.

My laptop did try and take pictures of me last install, luckily I dodged it quick enough, they are getting close though. Sneaky.

PuddingKnife
April 3rd, 2012, 09:54 PM
Canonical has never been one for first impressions.

People will bitch about anything.

Did I cover everyone?

malspa
April 3rd, 2012, 10:14 PM
Great, another one of these threads. It never ends. I'm for doing away with a default wallpaper since one of the first things I do is put my own in anyway, regardless of which system or distro I install.

buzzmandt
April 3rd, 2012, 10:20 PM
Canonical has never been one for first impressions.

Or for listening to their most loyal userbase for that matter. Seems every dev cycle i've been part of (about 5 years now) there have been posts for wallpaper is ugly and hate the startup sound.... Everyone of them end with 'it's easy to change'. (and the occasional, 'use something else (linux mint), etc, )

And so the trend continues.... lol

Ranch Hand, Damn right!! :guitar:

jerome1232
April 3rd, 2012, 10:43 PM
hate the startup sound....

This one is new to me, I loved those drums. Not everyone loves the drums!?

whaaaaaaa...?

malspa
April 3rd, 2012, 10:52 PM
Whenever I move into a new apartment, there's nothing on the walls and I hate that. Ugly. Default appearances are everything, right? Oh, yeah, but I can hang up some artwork. Never mind.

Erik1984
April 3rd, 2012, 10:53 PM
I actually like Ubuntu's default wallpapers and the new identity. Before Lucid there was no real identity in the theming. First brown, then orange, very different wallpapers (some where nice though). Now I think we can speak of something like the 'Ubuntu look'. Some don't like it, others do.

sffvba[e0rt
April 4th, 2012, 12:40 AM
♥ brand identity.

exploder
April 4th, 2012, 12:52 AM
I thought the new default wallpaper had too much orange in in but that's just my opinion. On a good note, someone posted a wallpaper I thought looked great in the thread on omg ubuntu so I am happy.

Edit: Here is the wallpaper I liked.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/281958677/pangolin_by_mrmassivemanmeat-d4nvcph.png

I sure would like to thank the person that created this becuase I really like it.

Bandit
April 4th, 2012, 02:49 AM
I like the 12.04 wallpaper. Its smooth, calming and creative. Plus the color fits Ubuntu nicely..

BrokenKingpin
April 4th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Just too much purple in the last few wallpapers. It is not the purple itself, as I actually like it in the rest of the theme.

I really like the Xubuntu default wallpapers though. Those guys are doing an awesome job on the entire look and feel of the OS.

rk0r
April 4th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Why not put a suggestion forward to fix this instead of complaining?

What i would suggest is in the next distro a welcome screen appears with the option to change the default background to another one that’s bundled in with the distro OR give the user an option to change to one of their own.

Everybody’s happy.

rima
April 4th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I think regular Ubuntu users won't mind (or shouldn't mind)
I would rather have a "crappy wallpaper" with an excellent OS that I can change in a minute than a super cool wallpaper with a really crappy OS.
Gosh it's just a wallpaper...it's not supposed to be a masterpiece or anything...just something that's not too distracting, else it's not gonna count as a "wallpaper"

(And yes, I actually can tolerate the default wallpaper :D)

But i guess it's just a matter of opinion really

Like it? Keep it

Don't like it? Change it!

keithpeter
April 4th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Tiled patterns?

Nice and small on the CD/image. Branding totally distinct from Mac OS. Miles from Metro.

http://bgpatterns.com/

A site for the youngsters to play with. Sneaks a bit of maths in as well.

Attached: a couple I like.

santosh83
April 5th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Tiled patterns?

Nice and small on the CD/image. Branding totally distinct from Mac OS. Miles from Metro.

http://bgpatterns.com/

A site for the youngsters to play with. Sneaks a bit of maths in as well.

Attached: a couple I like.

Tiled patterns are popularly seen as so yesterday I suppose, but I'd like a nice tiled pattern better than the current one! The site's good!

To me Ubuntu is irrevocably associated with browns, reddish-browns and orange! This recent attempt at repainting themselves is not really impressing me! :-) I wish they bring back the 'Dawn of Ubuntu' wallpaper! :-D

x-shaney-x
April 5th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Unless default wallpapers are actually ugly or have OS logos, I tend to always use the default.
In this case I actually like the default wall and don't have a problem with it.
The only issue I have at all (if you can call it that) is that I don't understand the tweaking a wallpaper over time thing.
I don't see that it could evolve into much of anything other than what it is.
The slight alterations in tone don't really make enough difference to distinguish it from the last so why waste time doing it at all?

darkdawn
April 5th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Unless default wallpapers are actually ugly or have OS logos, I tend to always use the default.
In this case I actually like the default wall and don't have a problem with it.
The only issue I have at all (if you can call it that) is that I don't understand the tweaking a wallpaper over time thing.
I don't see that it could evolve into much of anything other than what it is.
The slight alterations in tone don't really make enough difference to distinguish it from the last so why waste time doing it at all?

Maybe its some kind of strategy that they use so as to recognize the OS only by its wallpaper...that is what I think at least, but I don't mind the wallpaper cause its something I can change easily!

hughr2005
April 5th, 2012, 11:27 AM
The only default wallpaper I like is the one for OS X and I don't even use that. As long as it's not something mandatory its ok :)

RobikShrestha
April 9th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Sorry guys, but this is not a question.

Rather, it is a post to grab the attention of the Ubuntu 12.04 developers.

Please please please change that default background of Ubuntu. It ruins everything. That background is a very bad "first time impression" for a new user.

For example, when I show compiz or unity desktop to my friends, they are impressed. But the first impression they get is not cool and that is because of the background. I have written about this in other sites too.

I just wanted to pour my heart out about that background here. Trust me, it DOES NOT LOOK GOOD!!

I want my friends to use this cool OS but that thing ruins everything.

Cheesemill
April 9th, 2012, 03:11 PM
You would be better of posting somewhere else, the developers don't read these forums.

Also realise that artwork is a very subjective thing, I really like the default background :)

santosh83
April 9th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Sorry guys, but this is not a question.

Rather, it is a post to grab the attention of the Ubuntu 12.04 developers.

Please please please change that default background of Ubuntu. It ruins everything. That background is a very bad "first time impression" for a new user.

For example, when I show compiz or unity desktop to my friends, they are impressed. But the first impression they get is not cool and that is because of the background. I have written about this in other sites too.

I just wanted to pour my heart out about that background here. Trust me, it DOES NOT LOOK GOOD!!

I want my friends to use this cool OS but that thing ruins everything.

How can a mere colour ruin everything!? For heaven's sake, it's just a picture! And in these things, no two people will ever agree! What you might like, hundreds of others would dislike, just like you're doing now.

Methinks there are more important things the Ubuntu developers should be (and hopefully are) worried about. Besides the default installation comes with a nice selection of few dozens backgrounds, so changing it to something else is literally a couple of click after install.

Things like the window manager remembering to place windows in last used position, the dodge functionality of the launcher, more tools for fine-grained tuning for those who like to customise a lot, a built in easy to use GUI for managing grub and multi-booting in general... these are some of the areas I hope the devs are concentrating on.

As I said previously, if anyone is fussy enough to be put-off from trying Linux because of its background, they would most likely not stick long with it anyway, so no real loss, IMO.

And lastly, Canonical seems to be focused to creating a sort of branding with this purple colour, so you aren't likely to sway them over this. Personally I'm not too thrilled with this colour, but neither am I upset about it.

Basher101
April 9th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I respect your opinion, but it is just a wallpaper...it takes less than 4 seconds to change it to something you like. Thats one of the major criteria why I use Ubuntu - you can cutomize everything.

sffvba[e0rt
April 9th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

RobikShrestha
April 9th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Where do I post it?

I mean it is not a "serious issue" but I think the following changes would make more Windows users change to Ubuntu:

a. Better background

b. Placing "close", "minimize" and "maximize" buttons to the right hand side rather than the left hand side

c. A tutorial after the installation is over

d. I think the top bar in the desktop should be "right clickable". After clicking right mouse button, it should show a menu for the users to navigate to other
places. (Just like GNome's "applications" menu-item)

Plus I do not understand why so many people hate unity. I think Unity makes Ubuntu look cooler than Windows 7 and Mac.

Again, where should I post these suggestions?

synaptix
April 9th, 2012, 03:32 PM
The default wallpaper in 12.04 should be the Pangolin (this one here (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=215709&d=1333896429)) wallpaper in my opinion, looks so much better.

RobikShrestha
April 9th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I know it is just a wallpaper. But I believe that Linux the OS of future.

I just wanted to impress my friends with Ubuntu and convince them to use it. I want the first impression to be a perfect one.

Anyway, I am sure the developers have much more serious things to do.

sffvba[e0rt
April 9th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Threads merged...

RobikShrestha
April 9th, 2012, 03:43 PM
May be we should vote for our favourite background images.

May be then, the developers would consider changing the background image for Ubuntu 12.04.

Anyway still eagerly waiting for the new version... May it be as good as 10.04

PaulW2U
April 9th, 2012, 03:49 PM
May be then, the developers would consider changing the background image for Ubuntu 12.04.

With only 17 days before release, 12.04's features are very clearly defined and frozen. What you see now is what you're going to get.

santosh83
April 9th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Where do I post it?

I mean it is not a "serious issue" but I think the following changes would make more Windows users change to Ubuntu:

a. Better background

b. Placing "close", "minimize" and "maximize" buttons to the right hand side rather than the left hand side

c. A tutorial after the installation is over

d. I think the top bar in the desktop should be "right clickable". After clicking right mouse button, it should show a menu for the users to navigate to other
places. (Just like GNome's "applications" menu-item)

Plus I do not understand why so many people hate unity. I think Unity makes Ubuntu look cooler than Windows 7 and Mac.

Again, where should I post these suggestions?

I fully agree with points c. and d. above. I think a hierarchical menu of applications should be retained in some form, as its something generations of PC users have become used to, and typing a program name in Dash is too startling a change, IMO, for many users.

At the very least the pop-up tutorial can explain about this, and point the old-fashioned user to a menu add-on to the Top Panel, to ease the transition to Dash!

Point b. should also be an option users should be easily able to switch-on in a dialog like 'Appearance.'

Point a. is frivolous.

The default wallpaper in 12.04 should be the Pangolin (this one here (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=215709&d=1333896429)) wallpaper in my opinion, looks so much better.

Good one, except that Canonical now wants to project Ubuntu as a serious competitor to Windows and Mac, so it wants to settle on a 'professional' looking background, not the light-hearted ones like the Fiesty and Hardy days! :-)

I know it is just a wallpaper. But I believe that Linux the OS of future.

I just wanted to impress my friends with Ubuntu and convince them to use it. I want the first impression to be a perfect one.

Anyway, I am sure the developers have much more serious things to do.

Just change it to something you consider cool before showcasing it to your friends! I think few of us show our friends a default factory-configured setup, but our own heavily customised ones. :-)

RobikShrestha
April 9th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Ok. I just wanted my friends to be impressed! May be I should just tell them about the speed and security of Ubuntu. That will impress them!

haqking
April 9th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Ok. I just wanted my friends to be impressed! May be I should just tell them about the speed and security of Ubuntu. That will impress them!

speed will be related to hardware, tasks and user experience.

Security is no different to any other popular OS overall. (unless you refer to viruses, which often have little or no effect on system security other than nuisance payloads)

Dont try to impress anyone, if they want it they will seek it out.

If they choose not to use it due to wallpaper they are better off with something else IMO.

RobikShrestha
April 9th, 2012, 03:55 PM
@Santosh83: I will be installing OS on their machines. That is why I wanted the experience to be magical. Anyway that's not going to happen. May be I will impress them with compiz and and other cool stuff later on.

RobikShrestha
April 9th, 2012, 04:02 PM
@haqking (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1317912)

People here use pirated softwares and only pirated softwares.

I want them to use Ubuntu instead of pirated Windows, Gimp instead of pirated Photoshop and so on. That is why I want to impress them with Ubuntu.

More thoughts:

Don't you guys think that we should have a "commercial" for Ubuntu? I mean a funny commercial showing how fast and secure it is would be pretty cool.

haqking
April 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM

I want them to use Ubuntu instead of pirated Windows, Gimp instead of pirated Photoshop and so on. That is why I want to impress them with Ubuntu.

More thoughts:

Don't you guys think that we should have a "commercial" for Ubuntu? I mean a funny commercial showing how fast and secure it is would be pretty cool.

Commercials have been done

fast in what respect ?

it depends on system specs and tasks. Read the forums there are plenty of people complaining about things being slow. it is down to user perspective and hardware and configuration.

And as for security there is nothing to show, security is the same overall as any other OS.

How can you show system security in a commercial other than state overinfalted claims which people often use which are usually incorrect.

Did you want to show someone trying to compromise a Linux machine ? if so it is no more "difficult" than a Windows machine overall.

Basher101
April 9th, 2012, 04:08 PM

More thoughts:

commercial has been done for 11.10. They should have used better music imo...still great tho http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRExntnL8qY

santosh83
April 9th, 2012, 04:13 PM

More thoughts:

Tell them about the philosophy and practical advantages of free software in general, and Linux in comparison to Windows.

Especially for economically poorer countries, free software alternatives make a lot of sense. For most tasks you get a free (both as in freedom and as in beer) alternative, that fosters greater involvement and self-education on the part of the user, who will be encouraged to learn more about his system and contribute back to it, fiddle around with it, tweak it and so on, instead of simply being a passive, straight-jacketed consumer, as is the usual case with Windows and Mac.

Some links regarding these issues:
https://www.fsf.org/
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/
https://www.eff.org/
http://endsoftpatents.org/
http://www.teachingcopyright.org/

Regarding the commercial, it's a good idea except that I doubt Canonical has the financial luxury to air a commercial on popular TV channels worldwide! :-)

synaptix
April 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Regarding the commercial, it's a good idea except that I doubt Canonical has the financial luxury to air a commercial on popular TV channels worldwide! :-)

Mr. Shuttleworth could afford a ticket into space, I'm pretty sure he could afford a nice little 30 second or 60 second commercial ad on TV for Ubuntu.

RobikShrestha
April 9th, 2012, 04:26 PM
@santosh83:

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried telling my friends about open source technologies through my blog post:

http://robik.host56.com/2012/01/04/how-much-do-the-softwares-really-cost-and-what-are-the-free-alternatives/.

My final statement was: "It is not wrong to be poor but it is wrong to steal."

And, one of my friends replied:

"n y wud u want to do tat? u r a big threat to us.... all of us"

I was so hurt. I mean, I was a threat? I was just trying to help them with free alternatives.

So, may be telling them about "freedom" is not good enough. The reason is: Piracy is not punished (in my country). So I thought I should use something else to attract them.

RobikShrestha
April 9th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Mr. Shuttleworth could afford a ticket into space, I'm pretty sure he could afford a nice little 30 second or 60 second commercial ad on TV for Ubuntu.

lol!

Swagman
April 9th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I thought the new default wallpaper had too much orange in in but that's just my opinion. On a good note, someone posted a wallpaper I thought looked great in the thread on omg ubuntu so I am happy.

Edit: Here is the wallpaper I liked.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/281958677/pangolin_by_mrmassivemanmeat-d4nvcph.png

I sure would like to thank the person that created this becuase I really like it.

Pretty Kewl ..Ta for Link

Now set as Backdrop/Wallpaper

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5458/9apriln.th.jpg (http://img210.imageshack.us/i/9apriln.jpg/)

Hylas de Niall
April 9th, 2012, 05:06 PM

Appealing it may not be, but it is branding.
I'll admit it's the first thing i change after an install (just as i would on Windows or any other OS), but it is part of the identity that Canonical have chosen for Ubuntu, and we can take it or leave it. Most of the time it's covered up by open windows and apps anyway.

ravinfy
April 9th, 2012, 07:59 PM
May be we should vote for our favourite background images.

RobikShrestha,
The developers have already considered that idea..Months ago!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1860176@N24/pool/with/6261409788/

Check the link above on Flickr.com. Until about 2 weeks ago, the nominations were open. Wallpapers with most "likes" were picked for this release.

Perhaps you should participate in the whole Ubuntu development more often and press for 'better' wallpapers?
Ubuntu is all Open Source.. no ONE person decides things u know? :)

Hope the link above helps you find some free and GOOD wallpapers that match your taste.

Ravi

KiwiNZ
April 9th, 2012, 08:40 PM

This site and all most things Ubuntu are as a result of Mr Shuttleworths generosity and donated millions.

RobikShrestha
April 10th, 2012, 02:19 AM
@ravinfy,

Ok, good thing they thought about it.

Ms. Daisy
April 10th, 2012, 07:40 AM
This is clearly one of those epic debate that polarizes people and tears apart families.

Then I finally googled it to SEE this horrific, offensive, train-wreck of a wallpaper.

I braced myself for the visual torture I was about to commit upon myself. *deep breaths*

When I finally cast my eyes upon this blight upon mankind, I was overcome by a very strong emotion. It's hard to put into words... I found that I... just don't care.

RobikShrestha
April 10th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I braced myself for the visual torture I was about to commit upon myself. *deep breaths*

When I finally cast my eyes upon this blight upon mankind, I was overcome by a very strong emotion. It's hard to put into words... I found that I... just don't care.

LOL.
@Ms. Daisy: Are you a professional writer? You surely do write like one!

ruinairas
April 24th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Lol, okay guys. I can actually somewhat agree with the "ease of change" when it comes to the wallpaper, but to many "new users" it's gives a image of very a "Lazy Operating System" that aside things that I'd actually like to see that isn't exactly as easy as changing a wallpaper is to have the gnome bar (top panel) actually look "3Dish" along with the Unity Interface. Even when I make it transparent using Myunity as soon as I click on say the system menu icon it's not transparent and sticks out like a sore thumb :P

On side note why can't I get mono within WINE to work on 12.04, but it works on 11.10? 0.0

graabein
April 24th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I agree with you there. Those of us who have used GNU/Linux for a while know we can change just about everything, so the default theme, DE and apps are not that important. But for the sake of distro and Linux popularity the default is very important. I think it's a wise choice to stick to an evolving theme so people rather easily will recognise Ubuntu, I just hope it's functional and pretty at the same time.

jerome1232
April 24th, 2012, 09:09 PM
On side note why can't I get mono within WINE to work on 12.04, but it works on 11.10? 0.0

Probably because your wine version changed and there was probably a regression within wine. :P

aaaantoine
April 25th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Posting this link because...

1. Not one person linked to the wallpaper in question.
2. There's a nifty animation showing the evolution of the default wallpaper from 10.04 to 12.04.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/04/ubuntu-12-04-default-wallpaper-revealed/

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 25th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Every release this comes up...

:lolflag:

I have seen this same discussion about 2 times a year for 6 years :)

The funniest was Intrepid Ibex (8.10) when people thought it looked like a cow stepped in something. Looks more like a horse hoof to me :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Ubuntu_screenshot.png/220px-Ubuntu_screenshot.png