PDA

View Full Version : GNOME 3.4 Live Images

wojox
April 3rd, 2012, 05:57 AM
If anyone wants to try out some of the new features with Gnome 3.4 they have Live Images (http://www.gnome.org/getting-gnome/) to download. It's openSUSE based.

You should see Epiphany. :p

Copper Bezel
April 3rd, 2012, 07:57 AM
Damn. I wish Epiphany would stop getting awesome. That, or start getting Pepper Flash and a touch-scrolling extension so I could actually use it instead of Chrome. (Which, really, would be the ideal.)

forrestcupp
April 3rd, 2012, 12:25 PM
We have 3.4 in Precise right now. Is this because not all parts of Gnome have been upgraded to 3.4 yet in 12.04?

philinux
April 3rd, 2012, 12:33 PM
We have 3.4 in Precise right now. Is this because not all parts of Gnome have been upgraded to 3.4 yet in 12.04?

Well spotted. I think this info is still valid.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/02/gnome-components-version-clarifications.html

lovinglinux
April 3rd, 2012, 12:43 PM
If anyone wants to try out some of the new features with Gnome 3.4 they have Live Images (http://www.gnome.org/getting-gnome/) to download. It's openSUSE based.

I was wondering how to get Epiphany. I am curious about it. Thanks for sharing.

Damn. I wish Epiphany would stop getting awesome. That, or start getting Pepper Flash and a touch-scrolling extension so I could actually use it instead of Chrome. (Which, really, would be the ideal.)

Would be really nice if someone other than Google implement Pepper, so I don't need to use Chrome. Mozilla and Opera won't do it.

I don't know what is worse, Flash or Pepper.

keithpeter
April 3rd, 2012, 01:34 PM
Hello All

I installed 12.04 beta2 command line from the netinstall cd, then added a basic Gnome desktop by just installing gnome-core.

I find the gnome web browser a bit 'flickery' when loading pages or when resizing the window. Seems to work quickly.

On my hardware, I have to load nvidia proprietary drivers to get GS or Unity to actually work, so live CDs not much use directly.

BigCityCat
April 3rd, 2012, 01:51 PM

I think there were a few minor changes to that article.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/gnome-shell-34-might-make-it-in-ubuntu.html

Dragonbite
April 3rd, 2012, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the link.

Have you tried it? I am wondering what some of the more noticeable changes are because from articles I've read, I haven't found anything really significant.

wojox
April 3rd, 2012, 02:25 PM
I found the article on the Arch Google+ page Gnome 3.4 Review: Impressive, Elegant, Fast (http://www.muktware.com/articles/3469/gnome-34-review-impressive-elegant-fast).

I have the nvidia chip so my run of the live usb was short. It only prints every other letter to the screen. lol :p

wojox
April 3rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
Yes and I was not sure how easy it was to run gnome-shell from a live cd. :p

I was wondering how to get Epiphany. I am curious about it. Thanks for sharing.
I didn't try the flash or whatever they use (gnash)?
wow I know a really cool extension someone should maybe port over. :lolflag:

Thanks for the link.

Have you tried it? I am wondering what some of the more noticeable changes are because from articles I've read, I haven't found anything really significant.

Yes keyword being tried. Older nvidia chip. I've been testing Unity and 12.04 keeping it pretty stock.

BigSilly
April 3rd, 2012, 05:24 PM
I found the article on the Arch Google+ page Gnome 3.4 Review: Impressive, Elegant, Fast (http://www.muktware.com/articles/3469/gnome-34-review-impressive-elegant-fast).

I have the nvidia chip so my run of the live usb was short. It only prints every other letter to the screen. lol :p

Thanks for posting that up. I'm a massive fan of Gnome 3/Shell and very much looking forward to 3.4. I suspect I'll be using it on openSUSE or something rather than Ubuntu.

forrestcupp
April 3rd, 2012, 09:48 PM

I think there were a few minor changes to that article.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/gnome-shell-34-might-make-it-in-ubuntu.htmlYeah. All I know is that I have Gnome Shell 3.4 right now from the Precise repos. So they got all of that worked out.

Yes and I was not sure how easy it was to run gnome-shell from a live cd. :p
Excellent point. :)

Bandit
April 4th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Thanks for posting that up. I'm a massive fan of Gnome 3/Shell and very much looking forward to 3.4. I suspect I'll be using it on openSUSE or something rather than Ubuntu.

SuSE normally is more KDE oriented, Fedora is more Gnome focused so you may find what your looking for in it.

exploder
April 4th, 2012, 03:01 AM
I have Fedora 16 with Gnome Shell 3.2.1 on one of my computers and Fedora has done a very nice job with it. I am sure Fedora will do their best with 3.4 too. Just my opinion.

Bandit
April 4th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Can anyone confirm or comment on possibly Nautilus having the side bar removed or is it just not shown by default in 3.4?
I dont mind them turning it off by default, but I use it a lot and hate to see the code for it removed completely.

forrestcupp
April 4th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Can anyone confirm or comment on possibly Nautilus having the side bar removed or is it just not shown by default in 3.4?
I dont mind them turning it off by default, but I use it a lot and hate to see the code for it removed completely.

I'm running Nautilus 3.4 in Precise and it has the sidebar. It may be because old settings carried over from older versions, but it's definitely there.

forrestcupp
April 4th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Screen shot of my Nautilus 3.4.

wojox
April 4th, 2012, 02:39 PM
It opened by default but Nautilus was not pinned to the sidebar. I had to open applications to get to it.

BigSilly
April 4th, 2012, 05:08 PM
SuSE normally is more KDE oriented, Fedora is more Gnome focused so you may find what your looking for in it.

Well, I appreciate that that's the popular opinion, but having used openSUSE for some time with both the KDE and Gnome environments, I can honestly say that they give the same amount of love to both and neither is lesser than the other. Certainly, the Gnome 3 edition is stunning on openSUSE imho, and easily as accomplished as their KDE edition. I wouldn't switch away from it to Fedora because of a common perception or opinion. :)

keithpeter
April 4th, 2012, 05:27 PM

Hello Bandit

Gnome Shell 3.4 on Ubuntu command line install, shows nautilus as 3.4.0 and has the sidebar on by default.

In a nautilus window, try pressing F9 or selecting

View | Sidebar | Show Sidebar

and see if that brings it back.

Everyone

Anyone using the Documents application? gnome-documents is the Ubuntu package and it brings the desktop search application tracker with it...but it isn't tracking much at the moment!

Perfect Storm
April 4th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Screen shot of my Nautilus 3.4.

+1, got it as well.

Also Gnome Shell + Gnome 3 up to date on 12.04.

Bandit
April 5th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Kewl the sidebar is still there. Many thanks everyone. I read it was being removed but hadnt had the time to try the live images out. Ehh.. Working 10 hours a day plus 2 hours driving leaves me no time in the evenings.. :(
I was thinking they was just turning it off by default to have a more cleaner mac-ish look.

Starlight
April 5th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Gnome 3 from the official live image is amazing. :) I wish distro makers didn't modify it... to me, the default Gnome 3 settings are a lot better than what different distros do with it (change default settings, theme, icons, extensions, etc). But it seems that the only distro I've found that doesn't modify Gnome 3 in any way is Arch, but it takes a lot of time and work to install...

Dragonbite
April 5th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Gnome 3 from the official live image is amazing. :) I wish distro makers didn't modify it... to me, the default Gnome 3 settings are a lot better than what different distros do with it (change default settings, theme, icons, extensions, etc). But it seems that the only distro I've found that doesn't modify Gnome 3 in any way is Arch, but it takes a lot of time and work to install...

I d0n't think Fedora does large changes to the upstream projects either. Theme and wallpapers maybe, but they prefer to pass changes to the upstream rather than put out a Fedora-customized version.

Starlight
April 5th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I d0n't think Fedora does large changes to the upstream projects either. Theme and wallpapers maybe, but they prefer to pass changes to the upstream rather than put out a Fedora-customized version.

You're right, I forgot about Fedora :) I even used it for some time with Gnome 3 and it was very good, but I eventually stopped because of really poor software availability... Now I'm trying to find a good, up to date distro with Gnome 3 and a lot of software available for it. I'm thinking about Sabayon... what they do to Gnome 3 should be qualified as desecration :P but maybe it's easy to reverse it. It's kind of hard to make sure, because on virtualbox it only works in fallback mode...

Dragonbite
April 5th, 2012, 02:20 PM
You're right, I forgot about Fedora :) I even used it for some time with Gnome 3 and it was very good, but I eventually stopped because of really poor software availability... Now I'm trying to find a good, up to date distro with Gnome 3 and a lot of software available for it. I'm thinking about Sabayon... what they do to Gnome 3 should be qualified as desecration :P but maybe it's easy to reverse it. It's kind of hard to make sure, because on virtualbox it only works in fallback mode...

That is one area where Ubuntu is spoiling... the repos are chock-full of the standard fare and for what doesn't fall into that there are .debs and PPAs! Often, if I am reading somewhere about some cool program it is most likely built for Ubuntu, sometimes for Fedora and almost never for openSUSE (but may find it in the OBS).

The only repo I add with Fedora is the RPMforge.

Starlight
April 5th, 2012, 02:26 PM
That is one area where Ubuntu is spoiling... the repos are chock-full of the standard fare and for what doesn't fall into that there are .debs and PPAs! Often, if I am reading somewhere about some cool program it is most likely built for Ubuntu, sometimes for Fedora and almost never for openSUSE (but may find it in the OBS).

The only repo I add with Fedora is the RPMforge.

openSUSE's build service is awesome. It makes oS much better in terms of software availability than Fedora. :) I wish Fedora had something like that. I enjoyed using it, but the fact that so much software that I needed was either very outdated or wasn't available at all was really annoying. :(