PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Time

Bandit
April 3rd, 2012, 02:58 AM
Well my Phenom 9850 Quad Core has been a good chip, but I been getting the urge to upgrade. I am prominently a AMD user and plan my upgrades and purchases around their offerings. I am interested in new 8 core FX series, but they have been getting so pretty disappointing results. Some even mention older PhenomII quad cores out performing them in gaming and multimedia video editing.

Now I havent forgot other areas to upgrade as well...

Disk IO performance is good, but always can be better. I am running 4x 320GB WD Blue Cav drives. Ruffly about 1.3TB of unformatted data space and even it being software raid I get 380MB/s Reads and 370MB/s Writes using Crystal Mark using NTFS, using EXT4 under Fedora and Ubuntu both I get just a touch slower, but still respectable performance.

Video card I just purchased last summer, so wanting to hang onto it much longer. Besides I dont game and it would not help with program compiling or video and sound trans-coding. Its a MSI Cyclone O/C'd NV 460 GTX. Great running card and well worth the money.

RAM, yea this is getting upgraded. Currently running 4GB of PNY Optima Dual Channel DDR2-800. Upping this to 16GB (4x4GB) of Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600. So RAM wasnt overlooked.

Mobo is going to be upgraded as well, unfortunately even tho I like this board. It only supports 6 core chips and up to 8GB of DRAM. Got my eye on a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX.

Which leaves only the CPU to ponder over. Could a 6 Core PhenomII X6 Thuban 2.7GHZ Chip speed past a FX-8150 8 Core 3.6GHz? At 250ish on newegg, it appears to be a good price. But I hate to spend the money and it be no faster then the Phenom 9850 I am running now.. Guess I am just paranoid..

Any thoughts or suggestions?

nd456
April 3rd, 2012, 03:00 AM
Network? Seem's like a solid plan otherwise.

LowSky
April 3rd, 2012, 04:54 AM
I upgraded from a Phenom II x2 550 to the PII x6 1100T. Very little difference in day to day as the 550 was unlocked and overclocked, but in video transcoding the 1100 was much faster, six cores rocks. You will see a significant increase from the PI to PII line, I noticed it from the 9850 to the 550, things just seems smoother. The New FX line doesn't seem to offer much unfortunately. I decided to stay with the PII line only because mATX boards didn't have any new options for the FX line at the time, heck even now there is no 9xx mATX boards. I'm glad I didn't do a full upgrade. I'll wait for AM4 and hopefully AMD lets us mATX fans have new hardware too.

Bandit
April 4th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Thanks LowSky. Thats the info I am looking for. Though I wonder how a Operton would run?