PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel like you've taken the Red Pill?

Dragonbite
April 2nd, 2012, 04:10 PM
Sometimes when I read tech articles or talk with people, I feel I've taken the "Red Pill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill)" while they are still under blissful ignorance regarding the computer and tech industry?

So caught up with marketing and "shiny" they don't see what threats are swirling around attempting to remove their privacy or freedoms until somebody or some people put it in front of them (like the SOPA blackout by prominent corporations).

Or their unwillingness to think there is any other alternative than the buzzword and "popular" products or "industry standard" versions. That if it isn't the popular version that everybody thinks of, then it isn't worth it.

Are Linux users "Awakened" while others are still "sleeping"?
[/rant] :lolflag:

donkyhotay
April 2nd, 2012, 05:09 PM
Never really thought of it that way but I suppose so.

sudo apt kill
April 2nd, 2012, 07:58 PM
Its alot like politics:

- Most people couldn't care less, say the same old tired cliché's or are too inarticulate to understand how it all works.
- The one's who do are either intelligent, academics or those scary/angry types who take things to the extreme.

Most people to be fair do three things on a PC/Apple:

- Look up Internet stuff, Skype, Email and Facebook.
- Type letters/work stuff.
- Have the latest gizmo like a macbook or iphone.

Most people don't particularly care about what goes on inside a PC. It's a little like Maths, well actually when you consider what a Computer Science degree is made up of its a hell of a lot like maths. People are scared by what they don't understand and even more scared by what they feel they could never understand. Hence why we have a culture of people being "proud to have poor maths". The reality is they are not proud, its a defense mechanism created to avoid people coming up against what they fear and might make them look silly if they tried.

It's a sad world but thats how the game is played :KS

Dragonbite
April 2nd, 2012, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure if "scared" is the best word, or "indifferent"

MisterGaribaldi
April 2nd, 2012, 08:30 PM
I took the pill that's covered all over in chrome.

Sylos
April 2nd, 2012, 08:36 PM
From my perspective it seems like I took the red pill - but seemed to end up in another hallway with another person offering me another red/blue pill choice. "So you've seen this part of the rabbit hole - wanna see what happens next?"

Whilst I at least try and investigate and understand the workings of my PC software and hardware, I still cant really say I feel like I am in full posession of the facts.

Better to try and fail though....