PDA

View Full Version : x220 compiz performance tuning in 12.04

agoodm
April 2nd, 2012, 03:49 PM
I wish to simply document my performance tuning experience for the rest of the community.

This was the only place I could think to do it...

I have an Lenovo x220 laptop with 2x 1920x1200 monitors connected along with a bunch of other peripherals and Ubuntu 12.04 daily.

Performance felt fantastic untill I rapidly dragged a window or scrolled.

Scrolling performance wasnt exactly smooth...

In compiz config settings manager (ccsm) under the OpenGL tab I have enabled:
Texture compression
Set texture filter to fast

Everything looks exactly the same to me except:

Suddenly my scrolling performance has improved probably 10 fold and rapidly dragging windows no longer results in initial performance lag followed by reasonably smooth dragging.

Performance is now pretty much buttery smooth.

Patrick Latour
April 3rd, 2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks buddy, you made my day ):P

tom.swartz07
April 3rd, 2012, 12:28 AM
How do you like the x220?

I have a few x120e's and x130e's that Ive been playing around with, and they seem buttery smooth with 11.10 and 12.04.

I was wondering how much more of a performance boost one might see with the x220...

agoodm
April 3rd, 2012, 05:30 PM
It's beautiful. My first recent thinkpad laptop. Performance wise I think its about a quater to a third of the performance of my i7 920 desktop.

I have had it connected to multiple above full hd res screens and performance is slick for day to day tasks. Youtube HD; bbc iplayer hd; tv catchup HD all working smooth.

1080p bluray just about plays. Makes CPU toasty.

tom.swartz07
April 3rd, 2012, 07:04 PM
Hey, not too bad!

Correct me if I'm wrong; the x220 has an HDMI port?

It definitely seems like a solid machine.
Ive been using the x130e as my main work machine for the past few days, and Im very impressed. Of course, this x130 is super rubberized and could probably be thrown down a flight of stairs...

I really like the keyboard style. They keys just seem to fit in the right spots. Good key travel, and no issues with bounce.

agoodm
April 3rd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Its got a display port and a vga port. They make some over priced adaptors for the vga port; my docking station comes tomorrow; that allows multiple dvi monitors etc to be connected.

I will make a video about it all soon.

icfantv
April 25th, 2013, 04:47 PM
omg. brilliant. thank you so much.