PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting an extreme Noob started?

mijnneef
April 2nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
Hello everybody!

I wanted to get out of this whole MSwindows thing and someone recommended Ubuntu.
Great, it's sort of installing fast and simply (11.10 Desktop) ... but then I wanted to get my internet connection up.... can't do it...

I need something that is called an L2TP vpn connection, and I've been browsing online to get some info on how to get it for Ubuntu. Now, I found some places where supposedly there are GUI installers of this L2TP stuff, but I'm just not able to install these programs and get them to do anything at all. Then I search for help and I'm getting all these acronyms and scripts and command-prompt things that I am supposed to do... but I really don't even understand what it's all about... So now, I'm back in windows to get some help!

I hope to find something here?

kc1di
April 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
Hi mijnneef,

Welcome to Ubuntu.

Here is a web page that explains how to set up your vpn connection.

I admit it may be a little technical but if followed closely should get you connected. If you have questions just ask.

http://bailey.st/blog/2011/07/14/connecting-to-a-l2tpipsec-vpn-from-ubuntu-desktop/
Linux assumes you know a little going in sometimes that assumption is missed placed. we were all noobs at one time but it's worth the learning curve once your in the waters great :)

On the page linked above the first three commands given are to be don in a terminal. you can get to it by going to dashboard and typing term in the seach window.