PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Logging for IPTABLES not working?

BorisTheMidget
April 2nd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Hi Folks,

i need a little bit of help. I've switched on IPTABLES (dropping input connections by default) on my ubuntu install and i was having trouble with trying to identify why my crashplan client wasnt working.

When tailed the /var/log/messages file, i'm not seeing anything getting logged there.

Could i politely ask for some guidance on working through why the logging is busted for iptables? I'm guessing it could be something busted further down in my ubuntu install :(

Below is how i have logging setup on iptables:

thanks,

-boris

root@bridget:/var/www# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
ACCEPT all -- X.Y.0.0/16 anywhere
ACCEPT all -- W.X.Y.Z anywhere
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ssh
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:www
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:https
LOG all -- anywhere anywhere LOG level warning

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Doug S
April 2nd, 2012, 03:54 PM
Your INPUT chain default policy is ACCEPT, not DROP as your text suggested it would be. Set the policy with:
sudo iptables -P INPUT DROP

I would suggest to add some unique prefix to your log statement, as it will make it easier to find or extract information later on. Example:
sudo iptables -A INPUT -j LOG --log-prefix "ICATCH:" --log-level warning

Before going off and looking into why you couldn't find any log entries, my suggestion is to know for certain that there should have been some entries. By looking at the packet counters, you will know for sure.
sudo ipables -v -x -n -L And yes, by default the entries should be in /var/log/messages, but also look in /var/log/kern.log and /var/log/syslog

dharmavir
April 3rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
Hi Folks,

i need a little bit of help. I've switched on IPTABLES (dropping input connections by default) on my ubuntu install and i was having trouble with trying to identify why my crashplan client wasnt working.

When tailed the /var/log/messages file, i'm not seeing anything getting logged there.

Could i politely ask for some guidance on working through why the logging is busted for iptables? I'm guessing it could be something busted further down in my ubuntu install :(

Below is how i have logging setup on iptables:

thanks,

-boris

root@bridget:/var/www# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT all -- X.Y.0.0/16 anywhere
ACCEPT all -- W.X.Y.Z anywhere
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ssh
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:www
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:https
LOG all -- anywhere anywhere LOG level warning

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

You should try ufw (Uncomplicated Firewall) which is simpler way of managing iptable rules.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UncomplicatedFirewall
Also with ufw you can simply enable logging and I think that should serve your purpose.
$ sudo ufw logging on

I hope this helps..!

BorisTheMidget
April 7th, 2012, 06:50 AM
HI guys, turns out it was much more complicated in the end. My dependencies were hosed and killed the logging daemon.

but got it all fixed up.

the UCF app is pretty good! thanks for tip!

Vishal Agarwal
April 7th, 2012, 11:36 AM
infect the log rules should be at the top of the rule that needs to be logged in log file.