PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub file deleted

harish kharel
April 2nd, 2012, 06:39 AM
Hello everyone, as I'm new to Ubuntu, I make a lot of mistakes. I was installing ruby on rails but could not install it properly. So I thought to uninstall it and re-install. But during the uninstall i was asked for confirmation to delete the grub file. In the UI that asked I was asked, I was confused whether yes or no was selected. Although I meant to confirm as NO, but the messages in the terminal are stating that removing grub2 .... and like wise. So I think grub file is deleted so I'm very much afraid to reboot my machine. I have tight schedule to complete a project. So what can I do now so that there will be no problem with next boot.

Thanks in advance for an immediate response.

Bucky Ball
April 2nd, 2012, 06:49 AM
I'd complete the project and then fix it!

You might also like to search:

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0oGdN67PXlP7xkA3AIPxQt.?ei=UTF-8&fr=altavista&p=install+grub+ubuntu&SpellState=&fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top

Add your release number to the search criteria to get more specific help for the grub it uses ...

PS: You can possibly reinstall it from Software Centre or Synaptics but wouldn't know how ...

elegar
May 30th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Hello everyone, as I'm new to Ubuntu, I make a lot of mistakes. I was installing ruby on rails but could not install it properly. So I thought to uninstall it and re-install. But during the uninstall i was asked for confirmation to delete the grub file. In the UI that asked I was asked, I was confused whether yes or no was selected. Although I meant to confirm as NO, but the messages in the terminal are stating that removing grub2 .... and like wise. So I think grub file is deleted so I'm very much afraid to reboot my machine. I have tight schedule to complete a project. So what can I do now so that there will be no problem with next boot.

Thanks in advance for an immediate response.
How was it, I have the same error!!!, the GRUB2 was delete!!! or no!!!

drs305
May 30th, 2012, 02:17 AM
elegar,

Are you currently running Ubuntu from a normal boot (not the LiveCD)? If so, you can reinstall it with the commands in the following Ubuntu community doc:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing

Using the purge/reinstall option is probably your best option.