PDA

View Full Version : linux smartphone

oxman
April 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM
Well, I can no longer avoid it. I need to have a mobile phone. Acquaintances are railing on me over it. So what is the best multipurpose linux based smartphone or phone/pad? I've been reading about the ubuntu desktop/android setup but what is the best hardware for that? Any help is appreciated

SemiExpert
April 1st, 2012, 08:03 PM
It all depends on the wireless carrier, coverage areas, throttling, data overage fees and horrible 2 year contract slavery. Yes, there are unlocked phones, but they tend to be very expensive and you still have the choice between GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile) versus CDMA (Verizon and Sprint). As far as platforms, Microsoft killed off MeeGo when they paid Nokia to use Windows Phone 7, Intel's Tizen isn't ready, and might be focused on cheap handsets in developing markets, and Mozilla's B2G (Boot to Gecko) is still in the early stages. It's basically Android versus iPhone, Java ME the low end with surprising market share, and Windows Phone 7, soon to be Windows 8, at the very bottom of the barrel. To be honest, Apple has the best handset on the market, at least in terms of tactile qualities, while all of the Android players are competing on hardware specs with a confusing variety of brands.

Duncan J Murray
April 1st, 2012, 08:39 PM
I quite like the look of the Nokia N9 - but you'll have to find a way to get hold of it, and make sure that it'll work with your provider. I don't know how this applies if you're in the US, but here in the UK it works fine with sim-only contracts.

D

SemiExpert
April 1st, 2012, 09:16 PM
I quite like the look of the Nokia N9 - but you'll have to find a way to get hold of it, and make sure that it'll work with your provider. I don't know how this applies if you're in the US, but here in the UK it works fine with sim-only contracts.

D

The N9 was Nokia's first and last MeeGo phone. There are reports of unofficial Android 4.0 dualbooting, but I'd say that it's pretty chancey to spend $400 to $500 on an orphaned unlocked handset just hoping you can dual boot it without bricking it. Nokia hasn't been a major handset competitor in the United States since the early 2000s and the Windows Phone 7 fiasco hasn't changed that. In any case, the major carriers in the United States have fairly horrific prepaid plans. There are secondary prepaid phone providers, but they typically have locked handsets.

MisterGaribaldi
April 1st, 2012, 09:44 PM
I'm a fan of Android myself, but again, what phone you get depends on factors mentioned above.

First question: do you travel out of the U.S.? Even to Canada? The reason I ask is that there are two major cell phone broadcast standards, CDMA and GSM, and if you plan on going out of the U.S., you will need GSM because, except for a couple other countries, nobody else uses CDMA.

Verizon, Sprint, MetroPCS, and a few others are CDMA-based carriers. Both Verizon and Sprint offer what are called "world phones" which offer both CDMA and GSM transceivers, and so they would be usable in other countries. AT&T and T-Mobile are both GSM carriers, so by definition their phones will work outside the U.S.

The single biggest universal problem people run into with cell phones is signal coverage. You can look at maps and do a lot of research, but in my experience, the BEST way to find out what will work in any given spot (your home, for instance, and your work) is to have friends come over with phones from the different networks, and see which ones work the best and which ones work the worst.

I'd personally avoid any mobile OS platform that doesn't have a LOT of development effort and apps for it. The three best ones are Apple's iOS, Google's Android OS, and RIM's Blackberry. Microsoft is trying to compete, but their Windows Mobile products are truly insignificant players here.

If you want to go with a Linux-based mobile OS, then your choice is clear: Android. It is really good, there's an enormous support community out there if you want to root and flash (that is, to make significant, OS-level changes on the device) but, before you buy any hardware, do some research to find out which ones are the best supported, since supportability does vary a bit by carrier, manufacturer, and model.

Most (not all) Android OS-based phones easily let you put music, movies, etc., on the microSD card you use with the device. Some (and I'm thinking a couple models from MetroPCS) are a total PITA for this.

Some units are far better at power management (and therefore battery runtime) than others. But, in general, you will wind up doing some greater amount of manual management than you would on, say, an iPhone.

By definition, Android OS is a touch-screen oriented OS, and so all phones have on-screen keyboards (OSKs). However, many models also come with physical keyboards. If you plan on doing a fair amount of messaging, emailing, logging into remote servers for admin tasks, etc., you would probably benefit from a physical keyboard. However, of necessity that will make the phone a bit thicker than it would otherwise be.

Good luck!

aysiu
April 1st, 2012, 09:46 PM
"Best" is a bit vague for criteria. The best phone for me is not going to be the best phone for you or for someone else on these forums.

What are you looking for in a phone? What's most important to you? The latest updates? The fastest internet speeds? The most affordable data plan? A large screen? A small screen? Long battery life? Sleek design? Loud volume capability? Easily rootable? Expandable via MicroSD card?

All I can tell you is that I love my Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. That said, there are problems with it (not big problems for me, or I wouldn't love my phone). The battery life with 4G/LTE is terrible. The battery lasts much longer on 3G only, which is fine by. 3G is fast enough for me. For other people, it'd defeat the purpose of getting an LTE phone (why get fast speeds if using those speeds kills the battery life). I have mixed feelings about the large screen. I think it's great for web browsing and movie viewing, but if I'm standing up on the bus, a large screen isn't easy to use with only one hand. Just a couple examples of things to keep in mind.

oxman
April 1st, 2012, 10:20 PM
Great input guys. Really helpful.
Battery life important, some out of US travel, ubuntu compatibility crucial, it will be mostly phone, some email, some web browsing, gps would be very nice, hdmi port, usb, (I spent a lot of time up in the mountains and forests), remote server admin would be decent.

MisterGaribaldi
April 1st, 2012, 11:17 PM
Well, if you're going out of the U.S. then I'd say either go with a GSM carrier, or go with a "world phone" from one of the CDMA carriers. Remote, in-the-mountains type locations often have little to no cellular service, period.

All Android phones come with USB ports, most of which are Micro USB. The data cables they ship with are Micro-to-Regular USB. Some phones (like the HTC EVO 4G, etc.) come with MicroHDMI ports, and you will need to get your own cable.

oxman
April 1st, 2012, 11:44 PM
I have to go about twenty miles away to get a cell phone connection up here but I spend a fair amount of time in the nearest large cities. I like the galaxy nexus but I see the battery gets used up pronto. ATT has poor service out here but sprint and vorizon are pretty good.

rmil
April 1st, 2012, 11:47 PM
If you like Linux then Android phone is for you.
It is linux with kernel and it can have terminal installed.

Terminal + Linux = Everything is possible.

oxman
April 2nd, 2012, 01:22 AM
If you like Linux then Android phone is for you.
It is linux with kernel and it can have terminal installed.

Terminal + Linux = Everything is possible.

Ah, I like linux. I've been using only it since redhat 5.x ('96) Just haven't needed a mobile phone 'til now. Good battery and hackable are needed. Expandable via MicroSD card-yes. hdmi-yes. Really hyped about ubuntu on it soon. Totally open to suggestions. Just started looking today.

MisterGaribaldi
April 2nd, 2012, 04:03 AM
Better Terminal Emulator Pro (http://www.appbrain.com/app/better-terminal-emulator-pro/com.magicandroidapps.bettertermpro) is my favorite terminal emulator for Android. It supports everything I've ever needed, and has made remote administration from my phone a breeze.

However, if you're going to do this, let me suggest you strongly consider getting a phone with a physical keyboard, because trying to use the OSK for this sort of thing gets old, and you also use up about half your screen real estate just to have the keyboard in the first place, and that isn't very much fun.

oxman
April 3rd, 2012, 04:49 AM
Yes, I was tending toward a keyboard type. I notice that there have been a fluury of releases lately.

wolfen69
April 3rd, 2012, 06:13 AM
So what is the best multipurpose linux based smartphone?

Any Android based phone. But seriously, it depends on your needs and wants. I'm happy with the Samsung Infuse single core phone. I'm not a gamer or have 30 apps open. It works just fine.

oxman
April 3rd, 2012, 07:16 AM
Any Android based phone. But seriously, it depends on your needs and wants. I'm happy with the Samsung Infuse single core phone. I'm not a gamer or have 30 apps open. It works just fine.
I'm no gamer either. I'm mainly interested in communication, GPS and an interface with my ubuntu boxes and laptops.

MisterGaribaldi
April 3rd, 2012, 01:41 PM
Well, I'd focus on Verizon or Sprint, then, both because you said their reception is better in your area, and because AT&T will nickle and dime you to death on every little thing, including GPS functionality.

Of them, Verizon has already begun to implement LTE for their 4G service, and Sprint, which had originally backed the failed WiMax standard, is just now in the slow and painful process of changing over. If you don't care about 4G service (which, regardless of carrier, may or may not be available in your area yet) then it doesn't matter which carrier you choose.

wolfen69
April 3rd, 2012, 06:10 PM
AT&T will nickle and dime you to death on every little thing, including GPS functionality.

Can you elaborate? I have ATT and have no problems with GPS.

oxman
April 3rd, 2012, 07:05 PM
Wow guys, This is very helpful dialog that is dispelling the fog of this subject for me. Several local folks have said that att is spotty in this area. They complain of sporadic call drops etc. Is there are carrier that is particularly open source friendly or are they all on par in that regard?

wolfen69
April 3rd, 2012, 09:04 PM
Wow guys, This is very helpful dialog that is dispelling the fog of this subject for me. Several local folks have said that att is spotty in this area. They complain of sporadic call drops etc. Is there are carrier that is particularly open source friendly or are they all on par in that regard?

What do you mean by open source friendly? But anyway, most android phones are plug and play in linux, and show up as mass storage devices. You can drag and drop files easily.

MisterGaribaldi
April 3rd, 2012, 11:42 PM
Can you elaborate? I have ATT and have no problems with GPS.

Just that they charge to let you use GPS functionality. And they charge for text messaging, etc.

aysiu
April 4th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Just that they charge to let you use GPS functionality. And they charge for text messaging, etc.
My wife is on AT&T. They don't charge her separately for GPS... it's part of the data plan.

MisterGaribaldi
April 4th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Hmm... It was my understanding that AT&T charged separately for everything. Maybe that's just for their iPhone plan then? I dunno, I thought that was across the board.

aysiu
April 4th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Hmm... It was my understanding that AT&T charged separately for everything. Maybe that's just for their iPhone plan then? I dunno, I thought that was across the board. Can you take a picture (blotting out any personably identifiable information, of course) of an itemized bill where you're charged separately for GPS?

My wife has an iPhone on AT&T and has had one since 2008... never been charged separately for GPS.

aysiu
April 4th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Any chance you mean this?
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-navigator-gps-navigation/id315659984?mt=8

Because I don't think that app is necessary unless you purchase it.

Also, by "GPS," do you mean GPS... or GPS-led turn-by-turn navigation?

uRock
April 4th, 2012, 04:27 AM
My Samsung has Linux on it. I do not use smartphones. I have a computer and really do not see the benefit in paying $50+ a month to keep up with Facebook.

AT&T does charge for GPS services.

wolfen69
April 4th, 2012, 05:00 AM

No they don't, it's uses my data plan. (very little bandwidth is needed for gps navigation) And I have unlimited texts and unlimited mobile to mobile minutes. The only thing I'm paying a little extra for is the unlimited texts.

wolfen69
April 4th, 2012, 05:01 AM
No they don't.

wolfen69
April 4th, 2012, 05:15 AM
My Samsung has Linux on it. I do not use smartphones. I have a computer and really do not see the benefit in paying $50+ a month to keep up with Facebook.

That's what I used to think before I got one. Now I couldn't imagine not having one. With a 4.5 inch screen, it's basically a small tablet that's my mp3 player (I have access to 3,200 of my songs I uploaded to google music), gps navigator, web browsing, youtube, games, (no longer use my psp) and many other things that used to require a laptop.

I used to bring my netbook with me when I went out, now it's no longer needed. It's a lot more than just keeping up with facebook. (I don't use FB anyway) Think small tablet. Btw, I'm paying the same amount I was before with my non-smartphone because I now do the family plan. ):P

Feel free to carry around a laptop, or just wait until you get home to get information, get stuff done, or be entertained. I'll just carry a computer in my pocket. ;)

Your post reminded me of what some people used to say in the 90's, when pc's were becoming real popular, and I'd hear: "I don't need a darn computer!" Now, these people are addicted to the things.

1clue
April 4th, 2012, 05:36 AM
I live near Chicago.

I had a 32g iPhone 3gs with AT&T until early this year, then switched to a 48g Samsung Galaxy S2 with T-Mobile. I can't give you any information about a real linux distro on a phone, but I can give you my thoughts on iPhone vs Android.

iPhone/AT&T:
Never had a GPS charge. They DO have an outrageous price for navigation software by the big guys, Garmin whatever. I made sure my plan was big enough to never exceed their limits and never got an unexpected number on my bill until I went to Colombia for 3 weeks. Then I came back to find a $1300 USD phone bill, and that was WITH an international plan and what I considered to be almost zero phone/internet use.

Paid $400 for the phone over 2 years ago, and got well over $200 cash for it, before I got around to advertising it on craigslist. They were going for $300 online.

The iPhone is a really nicely polished product. If you like a really smooth, consistent interface that behaves well, then the iPhones can't be beat. If you are bothered by somebody else's ideas of propriety governing what apps you use and how you use your phone, then it's not. If you're like me and feel strongly about both, then I feel sorry for you.

SGS2/T-Mobile:
I paid $500 for it with no contract. I can switch carriers whenever I want. $70 a month, and if I use it too much they just chop the bandwidth to next to nothing. The same time I got my $1300 phone bill, my girlfriend paid $50 with her SGS2, which basically made my decision for me.

My gf got hers first, and I was amazed. It's literally faster than her laptop, has better video playback and better multitasking.

The SGS2 is dual core and faster than heck, has a giant super-crisp screen and great video, but what they don't mention is that it's too big to run with one hand. I'm 6'4" and have relatively huge hands and I can't run this phone with one hand. Everything else is good.

T-mobile is kinda spotty as a carrier. They focus on coverage in populated areas and don't really care much about rural areas IMO. That said, they have decent coverage along major highways for a lot of the country.

Using Android is sort of like using Linux. Actually it's LITERALLY like using Linux, since the kernel is Linux-based. But in the sense that the UI is a bit inconsistent, a bit more complex than it needs to be and sometimes baffling, it's like that.

When I had my iPhone I never opened the book and never had to ask anyone how to do something, for 2 years. I know this because my documentation was still in the wrapper when I sold it, and I know I never googled how to hook anything up. You just plug it in and it works, and you just navigate to where you would think a setting should be, and it's there and it works the way you would expect. Whenever I was in doubt, I asked myself "What would my mom do?" and sure enough, that's how it worked.

The SGS2 is a lot more complicated to use. The first day, I was googling to figure out how to get my phone numbers moved over. Then how to get my music over. Then how to ....

For the record, the SGS2 has a lot more features than the iPhone 3gs. I switched to SGS2 and I am not sorry I did so. There's a lot more features, including making a Skype call when I'm not connected to wifi.

Seriously there are advantages to both. I've been in a love/hate relationship with Apple since back when the Apple ][ was brand new. I go there and then go back. Apple is great for what they're good at, and just about intolerable for everything else.

Good luck and have fun.

wolfen69
April 4th, 2012, 05:54 AM
iPhone/AT&T:
Never had a GPS charge. They DO have an outrageous price for navigation software by the big guys, Garmin whatever.

Google Maps Navigation is free. ):P

KiwiNZ
April 4th, 2012, 06:06 AM
I would punt for Samsung Galaxy S. Now I am known for my preference for Apple products however if you want connectivity to ubuntu, flexibility etc then the Samsung imho is the best option and in many aspects beats the iPhone.

1clue
April 4th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Google Maps Navigation is free. ):P

Yeah, there was also some other apps for navigation that were free.

The Garmin etc software was around $80 if I remember right.

uRock
April 4th, 2012, 01:08 PM
No they don't.

You didn't see the screenshot?

uRock
April 4th, 2012, 01:26 PM
That's what I used to think before I got one. Now I couldn't imagine not having one. With a 4.5 inch screen, it's basically a small tablet that's my mp3 player (I have access to 3,200 of my songs I uploaded to google music), gps navigator, web browsing, youtube, games, (no longer use my psp) and many other things that used to require a laptop.

I used to bring my netbook with me when I went out, now it's no longer needed. It's a lot more than just keeping up with facebook. (I don't use FB anyway) Think small tablet. Btw, I'm paying the same amount I was before with my non-smartphone because I now do the family plan. ):P

Feel free to carry around a laptop, or just wait until you get home to get information, get stuff done, or be entertained. I'll just carry a computer in my pocket. ;)

Your post reminded me of what some people used to say in the 90's, when pc's were becoming real popular, and I'd hear: "I don't need a darn computer!" Now, these people are addicted to the things.
Even with the family plan, my bill would have went up $50 a month to get it. Paying multiple ISPs for services I do not need is a waste. I don't play games, I hardly ever look at Youtube, I have an MP3 player already(which I only use at work where phone usage is prohibited) and it is illegal to use handheld phones while driving in my state. I am glad the technology is there for those who need it.

oxman
April 5th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I'm pretty much a PC guy.
A small unit to track my schedule, take notes, track my activities, use the phone + email. That's why I'm looking at a smartphone. I spend a lot of time driving and going to meetings. I'm in over my head making commitments and reviewing ecological restoration projects.
The folks I work with are pretty much unable to pick up after me if I kick the bucket any time soon. I'm hoping this will help them carry on otherwise. I need it as a tool. This dialog has been helping a lot.

wolfen69
April 5th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Even with the family plan, my bill would have went up $50 a month to get it. Paying multiple ISPs for services I do not need is a waste. I don't play games, I hardly ever look at Youtube, I have an MP3 player already(which I only use at work where phone usage is prohibited) and it is illegal to use handheld phones while driving in my state. I am glad the technology is there for those who need it.

You know what's ironic? I said the exact same thing to a friend 6 months ago. Funny how things change. Oh btw, bluetooth is legal in all states. Take care.

uRock
April 5th, 2012, 01:01 PM
You know what's ironic? I said the exact same thing to a friend 6 months ago. Funny how things change. Oh btw, bluetooth is legal in all states. Take care.

You can type with Bluetooth? That takes talent. I have hands free for my "dumb" phone. Works fine.

MisterGaribaldi
April 5th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Well, actually, you can pair a Bluetooth keyboard to many phones (including an iPhone) but that would hardly qualify as undistracted driving, now would it? ;-)

wolfen69
April 5th, 2012, 11:27 PM
You can type with Bluetooth? That takes talent.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Who's talking about typing? I was talking about holding a conversation while driving.

I have hands free for my "dumb" phone. Works fine.
I'm happy for you.

I get it, you don't want a smartphone any more than I want to use windows. Have a nice day.

oxman
April 6th, 2012, 02:46 AM

So let me get this straight. You have a regular samsung cell phone with linux on it? How's that work?

uRock
April 6th, 2012, 04:11 AM
So let me get this straight. You have a regular samsung cell phone with linux on it? How's that work?

The same way many other products have Linux on them. There are quite a few non smart phones listed here (http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux-For-Devices-Articles/Linux-Mobile-Phones/). Mine is among them.

oxman
April 6th, 2012, 05:03 AM
The same way many other products have Linux on them. There are quite a few non smart phones listed here (http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux-For-Devices-Articles/Linux-Mobile-Phones/). Mine is among them.
Ah yes. I guess I was thinking more in terms of ubuntu distro also. Not just android. What you have might be an option for me except it seems most carriers out here are demanding web access with the contract. Not sure how that works.

uRock
April 6th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I know there has been talk of getting ubuntu onto phones in the near future, but not yet, that I know of. If you need interwebs on your phone, then a smart phone will make you happy.

wolfen69
April 6th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Perhaps smartphone isn't the right word for these devices. I think of them as portable computers that can make phone calls. I think PDA is a better term for these. But that term has been used already.

oxman
April 6th, 2012, 06:11 PM
OK guys, Getting down to the wire here. I am on the fence between the the Samsung galaxy and the Razr, both with verizon. Somebody save me from myself!!!
By the way let me reiterate my gratitude to you all for the input. Your perspectives and experience are valuable to me!

Dry Lips
April 6th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I'll repost what I wrote in another thread:

Why not get a phone that actually runs Linux? Here is a phone (Neo FreeRunner) that you even can run Debian on if you like: http://www.openmoko.com/freerunner.html

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Debian
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner

wolfen69
April 7th, 2012, 12:14 AM
A friend of mine has the razr and enjoys it very much. I can't speak for it myself, but hear good things about it.

oxman
April 7th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Droid Razr it is. I have a fifteen day trial period or I can return it. Here's hoping. I do not like the fact that the battery is permanently sealed. But otherwise it has gotten good reviews. Thanks again for everyones input!