PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hang on install

loudshirt01
April 1st, 2012, 07:34 PM
I have an old emachine that I am trying to get ubuntu loaded on. It is a 3.2ghz celeron w/2gb ram and an ati 4200ish hd video card +plus an onboard video card that I do not use. I have tried to install from CD, from USB, and am currently attempting to install from an alternate iso. From the cd (reg ISO) I get purple screen and then it blinks and goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left of the screen and stays there. I have left it there for about 30min at the longest. On the USB after I went all over the forums to get it to boot I get stuck with a screen full of info the last line is [ 3.531106] ACPI: Power Button [PWRF]. I plan on leaving this running while i run to the store just to see if I was not waiting long enough. I was able to install ubuntu 11.10 on my other computer a windows 7 machine with an amdx64 cpu and 4gb ram with almost no issues.

Thanks for any help.

ajgreeny
April 1st, 2012, 09:22 PM
Try again but at the first screen you see after booting to the CD,, hit return or any key, choose the language, then F6 for boot options and try them one by one, starting with nomodeset.

loudshirt01
April 1st, 2012, 09:53 PM
I have tried the nomodeset option and still had the same issue. Also I let the USB install run for over an hour with no progress

ajgreeny
April 2nd, 2012, 01:21 PM
I have tried the nomodeset option and still had the same issue. Also I let the USB install run for over an hour with no progress
Keep trying the other boot options. You may find one that allows you to boot.

Are you certain the iso file you are using is good, and that the burn to CD is also good? Is it the same iso/CD you used before?