PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Change Windows 98 like Window theme in KDE

meetdilip
April 1st, 2012, 03:38 PM
hi,

First, this is my first day with KDE, so please ignore silly doubts.

I use Ubuntu 11.10 Oneric Ocelot since 2-3 months and I think the burning software K3b installed KDE in my Dell Laptop. I just happened to check it today and is very pleased by its excellent environment. The only thing that annoys me is the classic style buttons and windows. But my friends told I could easily use different themes on KDE to make them look more attractive. Can anyone please help me add new themes so that window theme looks like Ubuntu or Windows. Thanks.

PS : I update Ubuntu regularly so hoping that my KDE is also latest. How to find the KDE version ?

PaulW2U
April 1st, 2012, 03:49 PM
To change or install new themes, go to System Settings and then Desktop Themes. You'll see the pre-installed themes listed and a "Get New Themes" button which will download new themes from the internet. Do have a good look at what you can change in System Settings, there is a lot that you can customise.

To check your KDE version it's 'Help | About KDE' from any KDE application menu. If you're using a fully updated KDE on Ubuntu/Kubuntu 11.10 then your KDE version should be 4.7.4.

Have fun with KDE.

meetdilip
April 1st, 2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks a lot PaulW2U.

I can see only Appearance menu in system settings. And there only pre installed themes are only available. No option to get new themes. Could you please give a link to some good themes and a link showing how to install and use them.

PaulW2U
April 1st, 2012, 04:22 PM
Reading your first post again. I'm not sure that you've installed KDE, only some of the libraries that are needed to run K3b.

Do you have a Windows-like taskbar across the bottom of your screen or do you still have the Unity launcher on the left hand side?