PDA

View Full Version : Need help! A central repository for files?

naked
June 12th, 2006, 03:11 PM
So I work on about 4 different computers all on different networks. I'd like to have access to all of my files all the time. I have working on a file at work, then throwing it on my website, going home and downloading it, working on it, and then re-uploading it so I can have access to it from my laptop while on the road.

If I am working with any file for more than I short time, it becomes difficult to know which copy of the document is the most recent.

What does everyone else do? I've thought about having a USB memory stick, but I'd much rather have all my files online somewhere, accessible from anywhere.

Hum, I guess my dream would be to have all of my files synchronized. Anyone have any thoughts?

Luke

Patsoe
June 12th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I started using bazaar for that sort of thing. It's meant for code developers really, but it can work well with anything that's text (not binaries like worddoc's).

The package is in the main repo, called bzr.
Website is here: www.bazaar-vcs.org

Nice things: you can "check out" files to your laptop, work on them without a connection to the main machine, then come back and load the changed version back up. It can also merge changes that you made in several copies of the same document and warns if there are problems with that. Oh, and I'd almost forget... it is really a revision control system, so the most important thing it does is keeping track of changes to your documents.

So, very powerful stuff. It takes some time to get to grips with it though (few days I guess), and sort of requires that you're a CLI guy :)

edit: oops, typo in the weblink :)