PDA

View Full Version : K/Ubuntu gone public

fireshell
June 12th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I am considering submitting a report into the local colledge and possibly further to encourage the use of K/Ubuntu and other open source applications.

I'm under the impression that soon enough (give or take within 5 years) open source will be more a part of our lives and that the institutes should be introducing students to this sturdy base of software now.

Besides it just sickens me that the educational institutes are purely Windows endorsed. Please post your thoughts, I am very interested in what you have to say with regards to this.

evand
June 12th, 2006, 02:25 PM
don't bother, it'll happen anyway. how many servers run on linux? look at how close Ubuntu is now to win xp and mac os as a viable desktop os, compare that to five years ago.... in another five, i bet linux and open source apps will be universal. or, rather, open source programs will be so universal that the operating system won't even matter, except as a matter of user preference. look at firefox.

rbalfour
June 12th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Believe it or not open source is already apart of the world.
From ATM machines, to routers, cell phones...The BIG boys use and abuse open source all the time. It's hard to give something away free, when it's free already. M$ spends millions to get ppl to use there systems. blinding them with ads, "3rd party" reports.

Once you get thru the "fear" factor of Linux..you have to go head to head with some "Sysadmin" that know what is best, Or should I say "WinAdmin".

But by all means submit your report. get the word out, I am sure there are many REAL world examples of 'buntu in use.

mostwanted
June 12th, 2006, 03:05 PM
I think it's a great idea, fireshell.

B0rsuk
June 12th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Speak for yourself, I've been blessed with Linux-centric university program (I study IT). And I only started to appreciate it when I learned a lot of other schools use mostly M$, and teach some Linux on second year , if ever.
We don't have access to windows on our university ! :D One of our teachers is an emacs and TeX contributor, if it tells you something. Here's a photo of him participating in a contest "who can compile xetex in the shortest time":

http://www.immt.pwr.wroc.pl/~myszka/BachoTeX2006/2006-04-30/78.html
(at the laptop; he claims to have won)

fireshell
June 13th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Sounds awasome :) but this colledge is strictly Windows for the moment, they won't even consider mirroring OpenOffice.org for the students :(

Nice pic btw too

RAV TUX
June 13th, 2006, 02:12 AM
I am considering submitting a report into the local colledge and possibly further to encourage the use of K/Ubuntu and other open source applications.

I'm under the impression that soon enough (give or take within 5 years) open source will be more a part of our lives and that the institutes should be introducing students to this sturdy base of software now.

Besides it just sickens me that the educational institutes are purely Windows endorsed. Please post your thoughts, I am very interested in what you have to say with regards to this.
Boston University has their own Linux Distro:

Boston University Linux
http://linux.bu.edu/

To answer your question Linux should be primary in Universities.

IYY
June 13th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Many universities already use Linux, especially in CS programs. We have 4 Linux labs in my university.