PDA

View Full Version : Easy C/GTK project ideas?

mauvebic
March 31st, 2012, 03:43 PM
I've read the manual on C. Ive done some GTK tutorials i saw online. But im looking for a simple project(s) that will nudge me to figure out how to put all the bits together :-)

Here's what i already know: html/javascript(+ajax)/css, perl, php, sql. In regards to C, a basic knowledge of GTK (credits: http://zetcode.com/tutorials/gtktutorial/) and im beginning to wrap my head around xlib/opengl. (though i doubt thatll be pertinent).

Ive always been taught to find something simple but practical to start. So what came to mind were my video files. either a simple browser or a plugin for thunar that will scan my video files, download covers and descriptions, apply a universal naming convention (so they playlist in order), and present it all in an aesthetically pleasing manner.

Am i biting off more than i can chew? and where can i find library manuals in chm (searchable indexes)?

Christmas
March 31st, 2012, 08:23 PM
Making C plugins for various applications should be a good start. Also, why not try a simple music player with C/GTK and eventually gstreamer? Or a basic text editor. I started with some C plugins for XChat and then simple projects like an image viewer. I guess it also depends whether you want to make it for yourself or release it to the public. Those tutorials on zetcode were what got me started too you know :) So give a try to your Thunar plugin or something similar, see how that goes and then try a whole application, but a small one, making plans for a full-featured program and then not knowing where to start won't help much.

Regarding documentation, I for one had three main sources (except for C that I already knew well enough): the GTK official documentation on gnome.org, zetcode tutorials, and another important one, source code for various applications. I suggest those who have good comments. Hope this helps ;)