PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cron not working ubuntu server 11.10

test006
March 31st, 2012, 02:20 PM
Hi,
I am trying to setup a cron job that runs everyday to capture an audio stream from the internet using the rtmpdump tool.
This is what i have done:

[0 4 * * * /usr/bin/rtmpdump -n 1.1.1.1 -c 1940 --playpath Radio -r rtmp://1.1.1.1:1940/Radio -o /home/public/test
I would like to start the rtmpdump to start capturing the audio stream every morning at 4am and output a file in the /home/public/ directory.
I have tried this as a root and normal user but i do not get any output in the output directory.
When i run the same line of command from the CLI it works fine without any issue. Can someone advise if i am doing anything wrong?

Please note IP address given is not real...it is just an example.
How do i also view logs, i.e. any error messages that cron maybe gnerating.

Thanks for your help.

josephmills
March 31st, 2012, 02:52 PM
I am not the best cron person.but do you need to have a 0 brfore the 4 ? like

00 04 * * * /usr/bin/rtmpdump -n 1.1.1.1 -c 1940 --playpath Radio -r rtmp://1.1.1.1:1940/Radio -o /home/public/test

You can read more about cron here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto

2F4U
March 31st, 2012, 03:15 PM
You will find a good documentation about cron here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto

It contains a section about troubleshooting and where to find error messages.

WasMeHere
March 31st, 2012, 03:33 PM
Hi test006,

I think you should remove the first character in the crontab entry
[

If that is not the problem (maybe only a typing error in the post), I suggest that you make some simple command, and make it repeat every minute:

# Minute Hour Day of Month Month Day of Week Command
* * * * * echo "Hello World">/tmp/hello.txt
I selected a command that should be portable and to write to a directory, that should be writable for everybody.

When this works for you, insert your real command. Remember that there might be problems because of the limited environment, so you may need to change permissions of /home/public/test

bubylou
April 1st, 2012, 06:17 PM
Delete [ and change 0 4 to 00 04. You also need to specify a path for crontab. You can do this by adding the following line to the top of crontab.

PATH=/usr/bin/rtmpdump

CharlesA
April 1st, 2012, 06:19 PM
Delete [ and change 0 4 to 00 04. You also need to specify a path for crontab. You can do this by adding the following line to the top of crontab.

PATH=/usr/bin/rtmpdump
This.

I've always throw any command I want cron to run into a script and tell cron to run the script instead of the actual command.